Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2023, 06:05 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Default MySQL Guru Wanted to help fix YORF

My business is called The PC Guru. I'm a hardware/networking guy. I'm not a software/database person.

I've been unable to fix the issues here with the users avatars and profile photos not being displayed. There's also the issue of some users having special characters like quotes and apostrophes being replaced by question marks. Also, if you scroll to the bottom of any page you'll see my copyright heading. You'll note the funky character that is displayed next the the copyright symbol. I'm thinking there may be an issue with an illegal mix of collations in the tables.

If you're a user here that's familiar with MySQL and possibly an added bonus of knowing vBulletin and would like to donate a little time to work with me to try to fix these issues, the whole community here would be appreciative!

Thank you!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-02-2023, 08:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Yes, thanks to anyone who might could help out, and much, much thanks to Scott for doing all those things required to keep this forum going!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-14-2023, 12:13 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

(yet another copy from my duplicate (duplicate) thread, where I was asked if I knew MySQL.)

As a matter of fact, I do. Six counties and five cities collect taxes with MySQL-based software I wrote, and still maintain. But I suspect a PHP problem, though I could be wrong. It appears to be an issue with the image format being translated. I'd know more if I had direct access to the database (or a mysqldump of it to work with).
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 12-14-2023, 03:38 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
(yet another copy from my duplicate (duplicate) thread, where I was asked if I knew MySQL.)

As a matter of fact, I do. Six counties and five cities collect taxes with MySQL-based software I wrote, and still maintain. But I suspect a PHP problem, though I could be wrong. It appears to be an issue with the image format being translated. I'd know more if I had direct access to the database (or a mysqldump of it to work with).

Hopefully Chris, you and Scott can work together on this and get a fix in place. In any event, thanks for putting yourself forward as a possible resource!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-14-2023, 04:58 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah

Thank you for stepping up with your offer to help with this, Chris! I'm currently tied up with a work project but will try to contact you this weekend via email to give you all the specifics of what's going on and get you login info to look into this.

Thanks again!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-15-2023, 09:50 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Yes, do email me. The forum can't seem to get emails to me to notify me about posts, so it's best to go direct. chris@gonnerman.org is my current best choice address.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:39 AM
Not so Junior

I dunno if this is helpful- but it looks like the calls to the DB to get the images is working, so it's not liekely a DB related issue.

I did see a lot of chatter about reverting a couple of templates to fix avatar issues-

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Click on << >> > Find the postbit template group > Edit the postbit template, find $avatarurl and replace it with $post[avatarurl]

Repeat for the postbit_legacy template.

From- https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/v...=17#post1736377
Old 12-18-2023, 01:38 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj
I dunno if this is helpful- but it looks like the calls to the DB to get the images is working, so it's not liekely a DB related issue.

I did see a lot of chatter about reverting a couple of templates to fix avatar issues-

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Click on << >> > Find the postbit template group > Edit the postbit template, find $avatarurl and replace it with $post[avatarurl]

Repeat for the postbit_legacy template.

From- https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/v...=17#post1736377

Thanks, Kevin. I'm still tied up with a large work project and now my kids are arriving from out of town for Christmas. After Christmas I will contact Chris. If you're available to help as well I'd appreciate it.

The issue isn't just the avatars. The system is randomly not processing special characters like quotes correctly in peoples posts. It replaces it with a ? mark. Also, scroll all the way to the bottom of this page and look at the funky character it shows before the copyright symbol.

Here's a sample error message I get:

Database error in vBulletin 3.0.7:

Invalid SQL:
SELECT COUNT(*) AS strikes
FROM vb3_strikes
WHERE strikeip = '85.172.109.213'
AND username = 'БизнесAxolf'

mysql error: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8mb4_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='

mysql error number: 1267

Date: Saturday 16th 2023f December 2023 03:36:11 PM
Script: http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/login.php
Referer: https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/
Username: Unregistered
IP Address: 85.172.109.213
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-18-2023, 07:15 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Well, that error is just the Cyrillic characters in your query. You need a more generic collation than the default latin1_swedish_ci. I'd have to review the commands before running them, but something of this form might help (taken from a Stack Overflow post because I'm lazy, not because I don't know how ):

ALTER DATABASE your_database_name CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

ALTER TABLE your_table_name CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

For that error it might be enough to do the latter command, applied to vb3_strikes, but of course other tables might be throwing this error as well. Would need to review the logs, or maybe just change all the tables.