Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 PM
young man but an old hand

Send a message via MSN to AFlyingMonkey
Post Money 2 Burn 2

I'm rebuilding one of my favorite rockets that I lost in October of this year. See I've always had a Baby Birtha in my collection, standard or modified. I ALWAYS fly it as my first rocket to get a feel for the winds of the day. Well last year I built one covered in shredded money and I of course called it Money2Burn.

Now Money I would say was my fav. B. Birtha mod. and I started off by going to the Fed thats here in town and grabbing a free bag of shredded bills. I used to work there, so I just grabbed one and took it home....Anyway.....I took the top 1/8th of the bag and put a thin layer on a piece of wax paper. Then I spread 5 minute epoxy over the bare body tube and then rolled the body tube in the money until it was covered. I then spray painted the plastic nose cone Candy Apple Red from Rustolium Painter's Choice Enamel, masked out the flames once it dried, and then covered the top in silver. In my opinion it was a great looking rocket, but after launching it at a scout Jamboree as a demo on a D21-4, I lost it in a corn field that hadn't been harvested. So here I am building it again, but from scratch instead of doing a kit bash.

Money was so heavy that I couldn't launch it on anything smaller than a B6, and I could also do it a a blow nose model because it was covered in epoxy which made it pretty much indestructable. I flew it maybe 30 times in 2009 before the D21-4.

I've decided to do much the same as the other but this time I'll be building it with a 24mm motor mount and use adapters when I need to. I'm also going with a Balsa nose cone to try and lighten it up a bit. I've already rolled the tube in the money the way I had before, but now after rolling, i've put a layer of laquer on the body and the nosecone. Using it as a sealer all the way around. I think I'm also going to do the fins a bit differently this time as well. I think I'll make them look like flames then cover the top half in money and the make the bottom half look like its burning it down. Since this is number two I guess I have to make it burning at both ends so the nosecone will have some flame designs going into it as well.

Well just to give you guys a taste of what I'm doing, I'm posting a pick and while I was typing this out, I was wondering if anyone else had done something similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Money2burn2-1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  83.5 KB  

Too late, I'm here......

Last edited by AFlyingMonkey : 12-11-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: basic human stupidity, forgot to mention some things.