Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
I still have some of that odd sized NCR tubing I got from Chris a while back - 2" OD , and 2.4" od - this as far as I know, was not a scre-up, but matched the old ACE tubing - the piece I have fits my old-stock Ace cone slightly tight.
unless you had different tubing, I do have some NCR 2.6" thats super heavy wall, too tight to fit a plastic cone, but close enough for a lightly sanded balsa cone.

That's probably it. It's been over fourteen years, but I remember the stuff being sold as a bad run. Glad to hear you found accessories that fit it!

I ordered one tube for $1, but Chris filled up the box with them! Besides the Viking II upscale, I built a big two-stage model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
LDRS ... was that 12 or 13 ? ( back to back in Kansas, circa 1994-5 ?) . I attended LDRS 12 - one of the best times I've had at a launch ever, even though I crashed 2 .....'

I was going crazy trying to remember, then I recall that I still have the hat:

LDRS XII

August 13, 14, 15, 1993
ARGONIA, KANSAS

Highlights I recall:

Big Patriot missile. Flew great, but busted a fin or two.

Frank Kosdon launching a big aluminum O motored thing with "bury itself in the sod" recovery. I was on the crew that told everybody in the viewing area to move to the back of the parking lot.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I ordered one tube for $1, but Chris filled up the box with them! Besides the Viking II upscale, I built a big two-stage model.

lol, same here - I'd mentioned I needed a length of that tubing to fit an old Ace nosecone, and Chris sent me 4-5 pieces, instead of one I ordered, plus some 2" od tubes, and some 'prototype' 3.0 " od ( which, as it turns out, years later, fit the Estes / NCR cones perfect

Pearson was / is a class act, one of the people who made / make this hobby that much better .

Quote:
August 13, 14, 15, 1993
ARGONIA, KANSAS

Highlights I recall:

Big Patriot missile. Flew great, but busted a fin or two.

Frank Kosdon launching a big aluminum O motored thing with "bury itself in the sod" recovery. I was on the crew that told everybody in the viewing area to move to the back of the parking lot.

Yep, that's the one I was at.

flew a few low end HPR birds, crashed my Magnum on a short-delay Kosdon motor, and recieved the ' most energetic disassembly' trophy for the crash and burn of my LOC Esoteric ( L750 and 2 x H100 ), L750 catoed and tore it up .. still ahve the remains, and it's 85% repaired, been sitting for years ( sounds like others on this list, lol ) , someday might get to fly again . ( think there will be a YOHPRS ? , ye olde high power rockets shoppe ?

As for the Kosdon Full Metal Jacket ... well, I'm one of the guilty-as-charged nuts who helped prep the beast, although we had to leave before it actually flew....
one of the early examples of the " black powder doesn;t burn at 35,000 feet ...oops.

I do recall the Patriot, too bad about recovery, also recall the huge Mosquito ( M1939), think it was Mark Clark and Jim Cornwall ( who we camped on-site with ).

good memories of that launch, even though super hot, windy and I crashed two...

~ AL
Old 05-03-2007, 07:39 PM
The_Ripper

Default Semroc Parts for LT-125 SLS FSI OSO - {Early Version - 1967 Catalog}

A post to show all the required parts for the build

All Semroc parts except where noted .....

Sandman turned me three hardwood nose cones. Two are shown in the photo. One is basswood and the other is something "special" he made for me from black walnut and polished out on the lathe. The black walnut cone is absolutely beautiful and the patterns and colors do not show real well in the image. I'm not sure I want to risk a flight with that cone so it will probably be for display or low altitude flights only. The basswood cones weigh in at 1.4oz and the black walnut cone at 1.8oz

These are true upscales of the HNC-101 FSI originals sized for LT-125. The walnut cone has an extra .25" on the shoulder because that's what Sandman had on hand. He suggested I wipe down the black walnut cone with a little Tung Oil to finish it out and I still need to do that. Thanks Sandman!

As discussed in an earlier post the airframe is LT-125 with a 5.5" piece of LT-115 for a 29mm motor/engine tube. A friction fit EM-9115 will round out the motor choices for Estes D and E flights.

Instead of using 1/16" aircraft plywood for the fins, I used 3/32" instead. I will slot the LT-125 airframe all the way through and slot partially through the LT-115 to mount the fins through the wall. I'll probably choose to put a bevel on the leading and trailing edges of the fins on my belt sander this weekend, weather permitting.

I'll post more as I get into construction .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  001Semroc SLS FSI OSO.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  209.6 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Me and Bill E., we know basswood weighs 3 times what balsa does!

(Bill cloned an Estes Wolverine and a Centuri Scram-Jet, see...)

And don't forget my first Mach 10!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Some day I'll have to dig out my "paper" photo album and find pictures of my upscale Viiking II.

"Some day"? That could be this weekend, couldn't it?

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Master Modeler

I really like the idea of a ST-125 based "Oso."

That is a very sturdy tube, and the through-the-wall design should work well.

I may have to get in touch with the Sandman for a cone or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
"Some day"? That could be this weekend, couldn't it?

Maybe. That stuff is really buried. And horribly disorganized. And I'll probably get all bummed out seeing photos from the era when I had all sorts of spare time and energy and travelled all over to fly.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:19 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
I really like the idea of a ST-125 based "Oso."

That is a very sturdy tube, and the through-the-wall design should work well.

I may have to get in touch with the Sandman for a cone or two.

I was looking over the Semroc site the other night trying to come to terms with a couple of FSI kits. I finally decided on the Nova and the Viking II, but I'm going to wait until the PDR Starlab I just ordered arrives and gets started until I place the FSI order.

Quote:
Maybe. That stuff is really buried. And horribly disorganized. And I'll probably get all bummed out seeing photos from the era when I had all sorts of spare time and energy and travelled all over to fly.

Nah, I was just kidding. When they do pop up, I'm pretty sure you'll have an audience for them.
I know about the "bummed out" deal. Several years ago I made a bunch of photo albums for friends from my beer and beach days. It gave me the chance to get everything organized and I enjoyed writing the "text". The idea was to make one for everyone, but my nostalgia supply ran low after a while. Now the guys who didn't get one in the first go-round are dropping some rather noisy hints wondering when I'll be done with theirs. I don't know if I can go through all of those pics again. Seeing all that hair I squandered bums me out.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-13-2007, 10:09 AM
The_Ripper

Default Finished: Semroc LT-125 SLS FSI OSO - {Early Version - 1967 Catalog}

I finished it this morning .....

Semroc LT-125 airframe and payload tube with a 5.5" piece of LT-115 for a 29mm motor mount tube. I built an EM-9115 to use as a friction fit adapter for 24mm D and E flights. The display cone is beautiful solid black walnut creation by Sandman. I still need to paint one of the other solid basswood cones from Sandman black to use for flights so I don't risk losing the walnut one.

3/32" aircraft plywood fins with a belt sanded bevel mounted through the LT-125 and partially into the LT-115 as can be seen in the images. LOC/Precision 1/4" cardboard launch lugs were used as I didn't have any of the thin walled FSI lugs on hand. Devcon 5-min epoxy for the entire build. It has the same "rugged" build as the early 80's Crown Rocket Technology Lasor series sounding rockets, and the SLS OSO reminds me of my Lasor-134. I used Elmers wood filler thinned to fill the small gaps from the slots just ahead of each of the fins, and it only needed one application to fill the tight grain of the plywood fins. One coat of gray primer, and two coats of Krylon gloss white and let dry overnight.

I still need to turn down the baffle rings on my Semroc ST-13 size baffle to fit the smaller id tubing and mount it in the airframe but other than that, it's finished. Special thanks to Rocketflyer (Jack) for supplying the self adhesive monocote in black and clear checkerboards and aluminum. I haven't been able to find those colors in any of the hobby stores in the New Orleans area since before Hurricane Katrina. Since the early catalogs featured line drawings and not actual built models, I just used my imagination a bit to give it an "old school" sort of look.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  002Semroc SLS FSI OSO.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  157.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  003Semroc SLS FSI OSO.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  126.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  004Semroc SLS FSI OSO.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  57.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  005Semroc SLS FSI OSO.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  170.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  006Semroc SLS FSI OSO.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  70.6 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 05-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Looks Great! Looking forward to hearing the launch report and, of course, seeing some launch pictures.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Looks good, Steve!

Launch/flight pictures are a must!

Bob