Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-20-2022, 11:09 AM
Bob Austin Bob Austin is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 81
Default

Just got done working in the yard. I'm going to try to print a set at 0.08 layer height (Ender 3 V2 and PLA). I'll let you know how it turns out
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-20-2022, 12:29 PM
Bob Austin Bob Austin is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 81
Default

Here is the result of the prints. Took about 40 minutes to print.

The first picture (Finished Print.jpg) shows the prints completed. Need a bit of cleaning - especially the nose. Might be able to reduce this by slowing down the print and increasing retraction slightly.

The second picture (Cleaned w Original.jpg) shows the parts after they had been cleaned up (top of the picture). I did end up breaking one of the nose fins off. Need to make sure you have a sharp knife and take your time. The original parts are at the bottom for comparison.

The third picture (Body Added.jpg) shows the 3D prints added to a 1/8-inch launch lug. The bottom part of the picture shows the original parts added to a 1/8-inch dowel.

Overall I was very happy with how these prints turned out. Small parts can be tricky on a FDM 3D printer.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Finished Print.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  110.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cleaned w Original.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  508.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Body Added.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  702.7 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-20-2022, 03:19 PM
the mole's Avatar
the mole the mole is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 754
Default

Bob, you came out pretty good on them. I can get a somewhat good print of the tailpiece, but the front nose cone is just too small for me to get s strong print. I believe I'm going to put this project on the shelve for now. I'm looking at a BT-70 X-15 rocket project I might get back into.

Thanks to all who gave a lot of help on this project.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-20-2022, 04:42 PM
Bob Austin Bob Austin is offline
Intermediate Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 81
Default

As an FYI, I was using Superslicer (https://github.com/supermerill/SuperSlicer) to slice the stl files. Its a fork of the Slic3r software. It works really well - I use it almost exclusively.

In addition to the settings I mentioned earlier, another setting that may help is infill - set mine to 100%. The software also has an option called "Ironing post-process" which helps smooth out the print. I turned this on with the option on "All solid surfaces".

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2022