Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
CPMcGraw's Avatar
CPMcGraw CPMcGraw is offline
BARCLONE Rocketry
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 5,357
Exclamation New Design -- Blackjack

This one looks like a model I will just have to try building. The performance is great, with excellent Dv numbers. What will be the most complex will be the drilling out of five 1/4" holes through a pair of BC-1045 cones...

If only there was a laser drill...

Length: 40.50"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 5.85" (Jay's upscale Chuter-II fins)
Weight: 2.12 oz


B6-4......331'......Dv 8 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
C6-5......817'......Dv 7 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod


The A8-3 is not recommended at all. The B4-4 is acceptable in a pinch, but reaches 10' lower altitude, and has a higher Dv number.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Blackjack 2D.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  82.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Blackjack 3D.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  26.9 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Blackjack.rkt (63.5 KB, 97 views)
__________________
Craig McGraw

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-03-2010, 06:51 PM
JRThro's Avatar
JRThro JRThro is offline
BAR Wannabee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 1,304
Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro
Default

I like it a lot, Craig.

At first I thought it was just larger forward and aft sections joined by a thinner midsection. That in itself would make me like it, and I probably won't even attempt to build it with the 5 (!!!) smaller gas ducting tubes between the forward and aft sections. Maybe I'll modify it with a single small tube to duct the gases.

Since I don't have Rocksim, I opened the .rkt file in OpenRocket 1.1.0, and it told me it was ignoring the spill hole in the parachute (did you use one?). However, it also shows five 1/4" tubes overlaid on one another at the model's centerline between the forward and aft sections, and it doesn't show a motor mount at all. So I added a motor mount, thrust block, centering rings, and motor clip (mass object). I haven't looked into the parts in much detail, so I don't know what else it might have missed or screwed up.

Using a C6-5, max. altitude in OpenRocket 1.1.0 was ~575 ft.
__________________
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:08 PM
CPMcGraw's Avatar
CPMcGraw CPMcGraw is offline
BARCLONE Rocketry
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 5,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
I like it a lot, Craig.

At first I thought it was just larger forward and aft sections joined by a thinner midsection. That in itself would make me like it, and I probably won't even attempt to build it with the 5 (!!!) smaller gas ducting tubes between the forward and aft sections. Maybe I'll modify it with a single small tube to duct the gases.

Since I don't have Rocksim, I opened the .rkt file in OpenRocket 1.1.0, and it told me it was ignoring the spill hole in the parachute (did you use one?). However, it also shows five 1/4" tubes overlaid on one another at the model's centerline between the forward and aft sections, and it doesn't show a motor mount at all. So I added a motor mount, thrust block, centering rings, and motor clip (mass object). I haven't looked into the parts in much detail, so I don't know what else it might have missed or screwed up.

Using a C6-5, max. altitude in OpenRocket 1.1.0 was ~575 ft.


OpenRocket probably doesn't know how to work with Subassemblies. The engine mount is a subassembly using a 4" ST-7. The lower 1" extends out the rear and has 8 small 'cooling vanes' attached. These are cut from 0.020" (or 0.025") matteboard. My general idea is to have them laser-cut.

The parachutes (yes, two of them) do not have spill holes. They are simply basic Semroc 12" parachutes built per the instructions.

Thanks for the heads-up on the new version of OpenRocket. I'll DL it and see how it compares. (Addendum below.)

As for the five small tubes, they're essentially very long launch lugs (LL-3) and not standard tubes. If you can locate some heavier-walled tubes with an OD of 0.25", I'd suggest using them instead.

I now have OpenRocket downloaded. The five Gas Passage tubes can be manually set by editing each one. The "Radial Distance" is 0.30", and the angles are 0, 72, 144, 216, and 288. This will clear up the visual aspect.

I'll finish up the file and save it in OpenRocket format.
__________________
Craig McGraw

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Doug Sams's Avatar
Doug Sams Doug Sams is offline
Old Far...er...Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Plano, TX resident since 1998.
Posts: 3,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
As for the five small tubes, they're essentially very long launch lugs (LL-3) and not standard tubes. If you can locate some heavier-walled tubes with an OD of 0.25", I'd suggest using them instead.
FYI, Totally Tubular lists such a tube: T-2, 0.246" od, 0.013" wall thk. Not sure if anybody else carries it or not.

Doug

.
__________________
YORF member #11
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:51 PM
CPMcGraw's Avatar
CPMcGraw CPMcGraw is offline
BARCLONE Rocketry
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 5,357
Default Blackjack in Vivid ORK...

Here's the OpenRocket file version I mentioned. There was a need to revise the file to take care of some glaring omissions.

The performance numbers are conservative, compared to RockSim.


B6-4......229'
C6-5......510'


OpenRocket does not yet have user-chosen preferences for the simulation data displays.

The file is zipped, since the ORK format is not recognized yet here on YORF...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Blackjack.zip (2.7 KB, 56 views)
__________________
Craig McGraw

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM
CPMcGraw's Avatar
CPMcGraw CPMcGraw is offline
BARCLONE Rocketry
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 5,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
FYI, Totally Tubular lists such a tube: T-2, 0.246" od, 0.013" wall thk. Not sure if anybody else carries it or not.

Doug

.


That's another set of component data we need to include in the CSV files...

Thanks, Doug!
__________________
Craig McGraw

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2021