Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking Chiming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
PS. Please don't call me Mr.-- Makes me feel old and I'm only 39 and holding .
JP,

The way *I* read what Chris wrote, it said, "Our Very Own Young Mr. Pierson."

(But then again, I'm 45, my dad is 91, and my mom is 81. )

On the other hand, you could *also* add the phrase, "Mr. Pierson, who is pretty much the same age as Jay's kid brother Tom." (whose DOB is 10/24/1967).

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
PS. Please don't call me Mr.-- Makes me feel old and I'm only 39 and holding .

I meant it as a small token of respect for your incredible imagination put forth in your designs.

Heck, I can't even muster up a decent color schemes for my stable of Omega clones.
Many are still primer white.
One has flourescent red fins, white tube, silver payload, black nose.
Another has only black fins so far.......maybe I'll add some striping that follows the body tube seams.

Any ideas ???
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Tidying up a few loose ends

It's been a little quiet here in Barcloneland for a few weeks, but it's only because I've been trying to get a few earlier designs built / primed / flyable. I've been working on the new website, too. The website update is still far behind schedule, but progressing. My earlier code was getting too unruly to manage, and I decided it needed a complete start-from-scratch approach.

As for models built recently, I've added a SEMROC Mark II and a Squire. These have been primed, but need sanding. The Squire was built in a short-body configuration, with the motor tube exposed about an inch behind the main tube. The fins were notched to fit the step-down. I have also built a Centuri IRIS and Nomad from SEMROC components. The IRIS is primed but not sanded, and the Nomad needs its first prime coat.

A SEMROC Recruiter model (Serial #16) has been given its primer coat and awaits sanding.

The newest BARCLONEs to be added are the Argo, which has been primed and sanded, and the Rhemus, which needs priming. A second Antares prototype is now ready for priming. I changed a few details about this one, such as a longer motor tube (6"), longer pod tubes (3" versus 2"), and longer pod nose cones (2.75" versus 2.125"); also the shroud support vanes have been trimmed to 2.75" in length and are recessed about 0.125" behind the leading edge of the shroud. It made the model a bit cleaner in appearance.

My Cherokee Double-D model, which has been assembled but unprimed for quite some time has finally received the launch lugs and the first shot of primer. It's no longer nekkid. It also sports a clear plastic payload section I found in my scraps box.

An Estes Sizzler clone (#1906) has been built and primed. The two SEC Alphas (one in Auburn trim, one in Alabama trim) have been primed, but the decals have not yet been printed. A kit C-C Express was finally primed.

A Quest Big Betty and Courier, which have been sitting off to the side for several years, have been primed and are waiting sanding.

I still have a batch of models needing their first prime coats, but little by little I'm getting control of the collection. Really. And I still have hair on my head, too. Nearly all of it silver, but still enough to need a trip to the barber once in awhile.

As I type this, it's pouring down here in Mobile! Real, honest rain! We've been under a burn ban for several weeks, which has kept me from flying. I'm planning to take some additional equipment along on my next session, including one of those deck protectors you place a grill on top of (flame-resistant mat) for the launch pad, and a pump-sprayer with about a gallon of water in it. I figure these ought to provide some cheap insurance against potential pad-area incidents. This rain will help considerably, though. Our ground is bone-dry, and whatever falls today will likely just get sucked down and disappear quickly. The grass will enjoy it.

Photos of these new models will be available later. I need to set up a photo table to make them stand out better...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Master Modeler

Cool

Quote:
Chris_Timm Quote:
I meant it as a small token of respect for your incredible imagination put forth in your designs.

Thanks Chris for your respect, it is well appreciated .

Quote:
Any ideas ???

My dad is fully colorblind an I am sure I am partially, but I will give it my best shot with the recently painted prototypes. I seem to have a thing for contrast in colors like Navy Blue with silver for The Shredder, Flat White and Maroon Red for both the Time Runner and XX-2, and with the Megga Dogfighter II is Navy Blue and Flat White.

Thanks Again and Enjoy, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Last edited by James Pierson : 06-18-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Master Modeler

Cool Colors you Say?

Quote:
Chris_Timm Quote:

Thanks Chris for the kindness is well appreciated .

Quote:
Any ideas ???

My dad is fully colorblind an I am sure I am partially, but I will give it my best shot with the recently painted prototypes. I seem to have a thing for contrast in colors like Navy Blue with Silver for The Shredder, Flat White and Maroon Red for both the Time Runner and XX-2, and with the Megga Dogfighter II is Navy Blue and Flat White.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Last edited by James Pierson : 06-18-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Looking good, James! Any plans for decals for this crew?

Later,
EV
Old 06-19-2007, 11:28 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Very nice fleet, JP. Only now, you've made it more difficult for me to just leave mine in primer.

The Blue Angels probably won't mind your choice of Navy Blue and Silver...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Anti-Cyclone (18MM)

Its been so long since I posted a new rocksim design that I almost forgot how!
Here is one I call the Anti-Cyclone, named after the massive red stop on the planet Jupiter which is apparently a gaint unending circular storm like a hurricane. I just thought the name was cool anyways . This one is unbuilt for now but may make its way to the build list soon.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Anti-Cyclone Image.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  12.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Anti-Cyclone 2D.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  21.0 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Anti-Cyclone.rkt (72.4 KB, 95 views)
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Its been so long since I posted a new rocksim design that I almost forgot how!
Here is one I call the Anti-Cyclone, named after the massive red stop on the planet Jupiter which is apparently a gaint unending circular storm like a hurricane. I just thought the name was cool anyways . This one is unbuilt for now but may make its way to the build list soon.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

I'm glad someone is still doing something! I wish I could get back to designing a few, but...

Most of my time lately has been trying to finish up the new web pages for BARCLONE. I'm closing in on the finish line, I think, but it's still a major time-killer. The first 100 models are in the database with description pages to provide some details for each model. It averages about four separate files for each model, which is probably the easiest way to accomplish what I was trying to do. Basically, this website will have well over 1300 files by the time I get this first edition sent up to Scott.

One nagging 'feature' that the new site tries to accomplish is to adjust itself optimally for everyone's screen, as long as that screen is at least 1024 pixels wide. It doesn't always optimize cleanly -- some things shift on top of others at the lower sizes unless I'm really on top of it. Visitors with screens smaller than 1024 wide will get nothing except a nag page complaining about it.

PDAs and cell phones are completely out of luck. The nav bar on the left side takes 250 px by itself!

For you programmers, it's written in PHP, generating HTML; there is a little JavaScript for some client-side processing, but mostly it's server-side action. All of the models, decals, and other goodies have their primary data stored in a MySQL database. Page formatting is done with CSS, which has really simplified the project.

More to come. I'm seeing daylight. It's a bright light, anyway...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Master Modeler

Wink No Time for But's here?

Quote:
CPMcGraw Quote:
I'm glad someone is still doing something! I wish I could get back to designing a few, but...

Wish I had the computer knowledge to help you out bro. Seems we have to make choices with the TIME situation all the time . Design in rocksim vs actually build the design etc... I could not imagine having the time to do a set of instruction .

James Pierson
NAR#77907
Closed Thread