Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2024, 09:41 PM
Master Modeler

Actually the Langfords were the driving force behind these scale RTF Models.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Master Modeler

I would like to be in the marketing meeting where Estes decides to put out ads for new models but not list them on their website. That's kind of what websites do well ? communicating coming attractions and products. It drives traffic to your site where some people might also decide to make purchases while there. Maybe I am the one who doesn't get it.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:10 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet

The local STEM launch flys the heck out the SLS and Saturn V RTF models. I would expect the Space Shuttle to show up at the next launch in July. If the Shuttle part actually glides, then it should be a good show. I have zero interest in these models for myself. I rarely can get to a club launch, so building a model is a big part of the hobby.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:43 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet

John,

These models are so different from standard Estes kits. Would it be possible for you to give us a bit of the background on them. Do you design them, or someone else? Do they go directly from CAD to production or are there intermediate models? Are there boilerplate flying models first? The level of scale detail for such small plastic models is stunning. Any details on who is setting the standards for that? Finally, the packaging on these models is just outstanding. I presume that?s a different part of Estes that is in charge of that.

Sorry to be so full of questions but these are so different from what Estes has produced for so many years I just thought I would ask. Thanks,

Steve.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:39 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
I would like to be in the marketing meeting where Estes decides to put out ads for new models but not list them on their website. That's kind of what websites do well ? communicating coming attractions and products. It drives traffic to your site where some people might also decide to make purchases while there. Maybe I am the one who doesn't get it.

You have to let the hobby distributors know first. They need to feel wanted/important.

The general masses can learn about it later when the item is actually available for sale.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:46 PM
Master Modeler

Steve,

I can answer your questions on these 1/200 Estes scale models. I designed the Saturn V, SLS, New Shepard and the Space Shuttle models. Ron McClarren designed the Falcon 9. If the model is going to be made of mostly all plastic then a boiler plate flying model is first made. This is a simple model with all of the correct outlines of the final product but with very little detail. We 3D print everything, assemble the models and perform test flights. If all goes well we then start on the next version that contains most or all of the details, with parts that contain all of the pins and holes that align the parts and the draft angles on everything that needs them so the plastic parts come out of the tools. You can 3D print a part that would be impossible to tool and be used for a production part. This is the part of designing a kit that takes the longest time with the creation of the instructions a close second. The Estes Visual Graphics department takes care of the packaging, using either real products or cad models of the assembled models. They also do the layout of the instructions. I simply supply the cad images and the text, with the final layout performed by the VG group.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:59 PM
7/21/61

John,

Thank you so much! Not just for your explanation here but for the incredible
new RTF scale models you have personally produced. Really, really special products! Again, John, thanks so much for taking the time to give us a little insight into how you do this amazing work.

Steve
Old 01-26-2024, 08:40 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks, John for the great explanation of what goes into developing these RTF kits.
I know these kits are not for everyone. I started in model rockets in the 60's. I have been in and out of the hobby for many reasons. I have reached the age of 75 and can't build as well as I used to, But I still enjoy flying them and displaying them. These models fly well and their size doesn't take a lot of space to display. So for me please keep finding RTF kits to develop for the future.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:07 AM
Where'd it go?

John,

Many thanks for the great models. I for one like the scale and plan to add the
SLS and Shuttle to the shelf. A friend saw the Saturn V here and was impressed!

Bob

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 43

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154
Old 01-27-2024, 07:05 AM
I do not like Facebook

I am going to have to reconsider buying these RTFs for display.

Estes will probably eventually make a New Glenn model. Might they also do the Soyuz and Long March 2F Shenzhou to complete the set of the more recent man-rated vehicles?

Bill

Edit: on further thought, a flying Soyuz at this scale is not possible. The MPC Vostok is 1/100 scale and it is tight for an 18mm motor.

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...

Last edited by Bill : 01-27-2024 at 08:02 AM.