Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Master Modeler

Catalog quality, dude!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

They look great!

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 05-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Master Modeler

Yes, beautiful. You may be jealous of Leo's photos, but I'm jealous of your painting skills, and/or willingness to take pains and get it perfect.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Make sure you kiss that Taser Twin goodbye before you launch. I painted mine neon orange, and decided to give it a try single-stage this afternoon before attempting a two-stage shot.

The last I saw of it was tracking smoke...well after I'd lost track of the rocket itself. Never a glimpse during descent. That's a lighter rocket than I thought.

OTOH, I have this nice built-but-never-flown booster stage, and I think the local WalMart had a couple more in stock. Anybody tried the TT as a three-stage?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Master Modeler

Just purchased the Taser Twin and Ricochet from Wal - Mart this evening. I know should I
fly the Taser Twin I'm going to use the lowest power booster motor I can find as this model
is really too small for "out of sight" flights (unless one doesn't mind losing it).....
Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Just purchased the Taser Twin and Ricochet from Wal - Mart this evening. I know should I fly the Taser Twin I'm going to use the lowest power booster motor I can find as this model is really too small for "out of sight" flights (unless one doesn't mind losing it).....

Well, suffice it to say that, unless it's dead calm all the way up, the TT isn't a small field rocket. IMO, if I'd been a little more careful about launch location, and maybe sent up something larger to a significant altitude first to get an idea of the winds up higher, I might have recovered it.

As it is, I'll probably head out there in the next day or two for another look around, as I might have just been watching the wrong patch of sky. It was, after all, a neon orange rocket with a white fin and a neon orange streamer: I should have seen something coming down. It's a cheap kit, but to lose sight of it that quickly on a single-stage test flight, I must have done something right in the build.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Well, suffice it to say that, unless it's dead calm all the way up, the TT isn't a small field rocket. IMO, if I'd been a little more careful about launch location, and maybe sent up something larger to a significant altitude first to get an idea of the winds up higher, I might have recovered it.

As it is, I'll probably head out there in the next day or two for another look around, as I might have just been watching the wrong patch of sky. It was, after all, a neon orange rocket with a white fin and a neon orange streamer: I should have seen something coming down. It's a cheap kit, but to lose sight of it that quickly on a single-stage test flight, I must have done something right in the build.

Oh, I hadn't fully read your post; missed the part that your TT was flown single staged. What
engine? Our club's launch site should be plenty large to fly this two stage; I plan to try a B6-0/A8-5 combo.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Oh, I hadn't fully read your post; missed the part that your TT was flown single staged. What
engine? Our club's launch site should be plenty large to fly this two stage; I plan to try a B6-0/A8-5 combo.

Well, I thought it was a B4-4, though the altitude makes me think I accidentally swapped it with the C6-5 I had for a somewhat heavier little critter. Unfortunately, I'd already launched the other, recovered it, and dropped the engine casing into the pile by the time that occurred to me, so no way to be sure.

Whether I find it or not, I'm getting at least two more TT kits if I have to swipe them from little kids I have more room available than I was using for that launch, (though moving too far increases the risk of a treecovery) so even worst case I should have been able to set it up where it would drop within sight of the pad if I'd planned it a bit better. Now, had I recovered it and sent it back up with the C6-0/C6-7 combo I had ready, I'd probably still have had to search for a while. That's something I'd best save for a day when smoke hangs motionless for long periods of time.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Launching since 1975

SCIGS:
Great looking rockets, I've already built the Ricochet and I'm working on the Taser Twin.

My question is about your Apogee II. It's on my clone list but I've been stymied by the lack of a clear plastic BT-20 tube. Red BT-20 tubes are easy to find but no one seems to have clear ones, Fliskits lists it as a future item. Q: where did you find that tube?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLaunchman
SCIGS:
Great looking rockets, I've already built the Ricochet and I'm working on the Taser Twin.

My question is about your Apogee II. It's on my clone list but I've been stymied by the lack of a clear plastic BT-20 tube. Red BT-20 tubes are easy to find but no one seems to have clear ones, Fliskits lists it as a future item. Q: where did you find that tube?

SEMROC and Red Arrow Hobbies carries clear BT-20 tube.

http://sandmandecals.com/