Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Cylinder assembly question

Carl,

Curiosity has killed more cats than I can count, but I can't help myself here...

When you insert the ceramic nozzle into the casing, do you start from the top down, or just a quick insertion from the... short end?

And, does the ceramic nozzle have a bulge in the middle, or is it more wedge-shaped?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Carl,

Curiosity has killed more cats than I can count, but I can't help myself here...

When you insert the ceramic nozzle into the casing, do you start from the top down, or just a quick insertion from the... short end?

And, does the ceramic nozzle have a bulge in the middle, or is it more wedge-shaped?
Everything is packed from the top. A nozzle forming die is at the bottom of the pressure chamber and a tube is inserted over it. The loose clay is measured next and then packed down over the die. The clay nozzle is slightly bigger at the top because as you pack the clay, it expands more nearer the ram. It almost flows like a fluid. By the way, so does the black powder and delay.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-06-2007, 07:31 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Everything is packed from the top. A nozzle forming die is at the bottom of the pressure chamber and a tube is inserted over it. The loose clay is measured next and then packed down over the die. The clay nozzle is slightly bigger at the top because as you pack the clay, it expands more nearer the ram. It almost flows like a fluid. By the way, so does the black powder and delay.

So the ceramic is not "heat hardened", but "pressed", similar to a piece of tablet candy? As in several thousand pounds of pressure? This is a "dry" clay with a very low moisture content, yes? The product "fluidizes" as it's pressed.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
So the ceramic is not "heat hardened", but "pressed", similar to a piece of tablet candy? As in several thousand pounds of pressure? This is a "dry" clay with a very low moisture content, yes? The product "fluidizes" as it's pressed.
It does become "fired ceramic" at ignition!

It is dry ceramic and presses to about 40% of its original volume with 10,000 psi. Does anyone know where Vern got his original "ceramic clay"?
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I think Estes was motivated by reducing cost and simplifying inventory. Quest is probably at the mercy of having to buy large manufacturing lots from overseas (but then, when they *did* have their own machines, they didn't diversify too much).

I've been in manufacturing and sales for over 30 years - inventory is EVIL - but a neccesary evil. It was rumored about 10 years ago that Estes' long range plan was to offer only one delay per size (ie the only C motor would be the C6-5 ect.) which really kills inovative design

Quote:
Still you'd think they'd have heard about our field situation here in the populous east, what with the buildings and trees and the soccer moms and all.

Don't get me started about soccer moms!

Dale Greene
Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Does anyone know where Vern got his original "ceramic clay"?

OK Carl, I give up.

And as long as you're answering that one, how about an explanation of how "port burners" got their name.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
OK Carl, I give up.

And as long as you're answering that one, how about an explanation of how "port burners" got their name.
Vern said he got the dust that was left over from a local tombstone engraver and the price was right. Never tried THAT! Tried about everything else.

I first saw Port-Burning (PB) in the 1965 Centuri catalog. They called their engines made on the Coaster machine port or center burning solid propellan grain. Estes, I think, always just said center burning. I did not hear core burning until recently, probably associated with Aerotech.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBArms
Ohhh very cool. I learn something new every day. If I might ask, all of these are going to be A-E? hobby motors? Also will there be the "chance" if hobby motors, to get some different colored smoke in either the boost or delay charge?

Now that would be cool! I'm not sure if that wouldn't make tracking more difficult, though. My grandson loves the redline, green gorilla, etc motors. Having that kind of availability during boost in the smaller motors would be very cool, though. I have been asked that question about rocket motors (from people who are unfamiliar with rocketr) on many occasions.
James
Old 01-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
As long as engines are widely available, I don't think a matching brand is as important as it might have been in the past.

The absence of 1/2A and A boosters is a good example of why there is little new or innovative kits to use low power boosters. The places available to fly two-stage rockets with a minimum of a C6-0 is growing smaller all the time. If the C6 was a C12 or C20, at least you could do low altitude two-stage rockets with heavier designs. That is just my opinion. I always liked two-stage rockets that you could see and recover. I also liked the B14-0 because I could make the rocket a little heavier.

I am not sure if Estes and Quest dropped the small boosters and port engines because of low demand or they dropped them to create low demand. I guess we will be working on finding out which it is.

Yep to all that! I especially loved the B14 motors.
James
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
It's probably a dog-chasing-tail problem, beginning with a lack of design direction toward the small motors. Most of the cataloged designs for small motors seemed to go in the "smaller is better" way of thinking, which leads to models like the Mosquito, Quark, and 220 Swift. How many of these have we ourselves lost after just one flight, even on 1/4A and 1/2A power? Lose enough of them, you start getting tired of losing them, and you stop flying them, and then you stop buying the motors because you've stopped flying them...

I'm really interested in the 13 and 10 mm category for my "Schoolyard Sounders" series. Small field issues hit very close to home for me, and right now it prevents me from enjoying multi-stage designs. Having boosters in these sizes would open up a lot of possibilities.

Exactly!
James