Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:40 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Plan -- Paragon

James' comments have made me give some attention to my own design efforts. It has been some time since I introduced anything new, so I guess it's time to address that deficiency...

This design takes a 24mm C11-5, and a C6-5 using an adapter. The C6 gives better performance. There are configuration similarities to the earlier CSL Murray.

Length: 35.10"
Diameter: 1.34" (ST-13)
Fin Span: 3.43"
Weight: 2.1 oz

C11-5......711'......Dv 19 FPS......31"
C6-5.......796'......Dv 11 FPS......31"

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Paragon 2D.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  61.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Paragon 3D.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  31.3 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Paragon.rkt (53.3 KB, 117 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Talking

You guys really need to stop with all the cool new designs, or I need to stop looking at them. I've got enough ideas floating around in my head to keep me busy for the next six months.
Of course I'll never get those all done because ya all give me more ideas in the mean time

TRA #09903
Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation Revised Plan -- Antares Mk II

Here's the updated plan for the Antares, based on Saturday's flight test. The updated construction uses the 6.5" BT-20D as the motor tube, and four support rings, to form an inner core. Applying glue to the two interior rings can be difficult at best, but if you use a straight pin (or a "T" pin) and pierce the BT-50 only where these two rings intersect the fin lines, you can flow some thinned yellow glue through the holes and "blind rivet" the rings in place. CA would work, too, but you need to keep excess CA from interfering with the fin root glue joint.

Length: 23.75"
Diameter: 0.976" (BT-50) main body tube; 1.325" (BT-55) reactor shroud
Fin Span: 8.08"
Weight: 2.38 oz

Recommended motor results:

B6-4......282'......Dv 17 FPS
C6-5......706'......Dv 7 FPS

The A8-3 and B4-4 (the two motors I chose to fly with ) are not advised for general flying, as their Dv's are above my suggested 20 FPS upper limit.

Even with the weight of a C6-5 added, the stability margin is 2.73. No wonder the first prototype flew so well!

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Antares Mk II 2D.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  82.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Antares Mk II 3D.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  40.9 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Antares Mk II.rkt (81.3 KB, 125 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation Revised Plan -- Andromeda Mk VIII

These alterations are based on the performance of the Mk I prototype yesterday. It flew well, but not to my satisfaction. Granted, it was a much heavier model than I thought it should be, and thus the stability margin was closer to the low end of the scale. Interestingly, the model did not need any of the small finlets around the base of the second shroud currently shown in the 3D images.

This version lengthens the model by 1.3", by using an ST-753 motor section instead of the ST-740 previously added. The model now has DV's for my selected motors that are close to ideal.

I've kept the small finlets in this revision for appearances, but RockSim says they do add a measure of stability to the overall total. Granted, we're finding out that RockSim isn't always correct in its assessments and assertions...

Length: 29.25"
Diameter: 1.04" (BC-760); 1.34" (ST-13)
Fin Span: 5.86"
Weight: 2.08 oz

A8-3......142'......Dv 10 FPS
B4-4......383'......Dv 13 FPS
B6-4......392'......Dv 3 FPS

Note the C6-5 is not listed. This motor does not achieve safe flight speed until 44" up the rod. All of the motors listed here achieve flight speed in less than 36".

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Andromeda Mk VIII 3D.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  45.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Andromeda Mk VIII 2D.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  79.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Andromeda Mk VIII.rkt (104.4 KB, 135 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-29-2007, 08:51 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Plan -- Lirpa

So, I'm wanting to do something a bit more SciFi and Fantasy, and I'm holding in the back of my brain those interesting Sunward / Canaroc designs. I want something similar, but not exact, and which can be built from available Semroc components if possible. The Lirpa matches that set of requirements, needing only one set of custom centering rings.

The drawings from RockSim are, once again, showing the highly irritating limitations imposed by the program. The long bulkheads in the offset tube and in the pods are supposed to be nose cones.

The parachute goes in the large chin-mounted ST-10. A gas passage is required between the ST-10 and the ST-8. A baffle can be mounted in the ST-10, if desired.

The model will need a 48" x 3/16" launch rod. It reaches Fv in 37" on the C6-5.

Length: 27.75"
Diameter: 1.34"
Fin Span: 11.34" *
Weight: 3.5 oz

*This is the fin span reported by the simulation, however the outer 1.5" of each tip drops downward 90 degrees to become a pylon for the pod. RockSim is incapable of showing this at present.

C6-5......646'......Dv 14 FPS

I will try to work up some alignment templates and post these shortly to show you better what I had in mind.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Lirpa 3D.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  31.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Lirpa 2D.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  65.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Lirpa.rkt (62.6 KB, 105 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-30-2007, 01:55 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Plan -- Cloud Chaser

This is a simple two-stage, but it recycles the SEMROC Laser-Cut fin sheets for the Centuri Marauder. The sustainer uses an 18mm motor, while the booster uses a 24mm motor.

Length: 27.33"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 6.78"
Weight: 1.87 oz

All motor combinations require a 48" x 3/16" launch rod. Best performance also requires at least 1 oz of ballast in the payload compartment. A lightweight digital camera would be a good candidate.

C11-0 / B6-6......1100'......Dv 15 FPS
C11-0 / C6-7......1660'......Dv 11 FPS
D12-0 / C6-7......2275'......Dv 24 FPS

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Cloud Chaser 3D.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  32.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cloud Chaser 2D.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  69.3 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Cloud Chaser.rkt (69.7 KB, 120 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Got it bad BAR

Default Scrounged-Up Designs

Boy, have I been gone awhile! I think the last time I got into this forum was back around the mid of last year. I now have way too many new Rocksim files downloaded from here! Anyhoo, I have a few to add to the stew. No pun intended!

First up is a neat three stage ring fin I call the Ring Fin Thingy. It has flown three times so far with the first two flights causing a long walk to retrive do to angular staging. Boost on both was fine but as each stage lit, the whole thing went more and more out of vertical. Both flights were with the fins aligned with each other and 1/4 oz. of nose weight.
The third flight was with 1/8 oz. of nose weight added and the fins aligned out of phase with each other. Fantastic flight straight up! Don't know if it was the nose weight or the fins but I was very satisfied with the end result, finally.
The interesting thing with this one is the fact that with the proper engine stack you can acutually fly it in a small field!
The odd thing is the launch rod length. I have flown it all the times with a 48" rod with no problems. The rocket has left the rod straight up and only had the earlier problem when staging.
The ring fin program has the added quirk of adding pylons automatically. That may be the problem with the ring fin vs. the inside tube debate. I had to add the "fins" myself and then used the inside tube trick to get the ring size and fit that I needed.
Although the design doesn't call for any nose weight, I did the swing test with the full stack loaded and it did require a small amout to stabilize properly.
The only main problem aside from the angular staging, has been fin breakage on recovery. The boosters and the sustainer have broken one or more fin joints more than once. The weight of the engine casings is enough to make the boosters tumble rather quickly. The damage has been easily repairable so far. The addition of more glue to the joints may also be the reason for the added nose weight. One thing seems to build on another.

Anyway here are the files:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_0254.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  56.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Ring Fin Thingy a.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  148.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Ring Fin Thingy b.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  251.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Ring Fin Thingy c.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  349.9 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Ring Fin Thingy.rkt (102.2 KB, 143 views)

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"
Old 05-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Got it bad BAR

Default Scrounged-Up Designs

This next one is a rocket design I used for the EMRR 2006 Challenge. The prototype had a less than steller career. You can see the mess on EMRR or go to YouTube under rockets. The url is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGUI-6Xi4XM. The design was such a hit that I needed to make another with some modifications to assure good flights.
The original had only the four outboard motors and it wasn't until the third flight that they all lit. The problem on the first flight was my fault and the second one was an untimely cato. The final flight was perfect right up to chute deployment. One chute went south and the other impalled itself on the front of the nose cone and that was that.
For those of you that have the launch equiptment to lite multipul motors this is a fairly quick build and a real crowd pleaser. A five station clip whip is needed as well as a car type battery.
With a central D motor and your choise of A motors on the outboards this bird can fly in the confines of a small park without problems.
The only thing not shown in the sim. is the change I made to recovery. The nose cone with the majority of the weight in it needs its own chute! Use a 24" chute for the nose and a 18" chute for the main body. The first and only flight so far was just fantastic! Everything worked like a charm and the recovery walk was a nice short one.

Here is the Orion Cargo Carrier:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Orion Cargo Carrier heading up.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  12.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  GK5.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  207.8 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt EMRR Spaceship D15 with central motor.rkt (127.6 KB, 123 views)

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"

Last edited by Maniac BAR : 05-22-2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Added video url.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Plan -- Firebird

So now we're all getting into ring fins. Cool!

Now that I've had some good flights with Lil' Battle Axe and those fiber fins, I thought I'd cook up another design that takes advantage of the laser cutting capability of Carl's fancy Krellvenator. I call this one Firebird, but don't expect high-altitude performance. It doesn't even reach 500' on a C6 motor, according to RockSim. It's the high drag from those rings. When you look at the RKT file, take a look at the chart found in the Rocket | CD Analysis dialog. They're 95% of the total drag on this model.

Length: 17.95"
Diameter: 1.04" (BC-760)
Fin Span: 3.611"
Weight: 1.25 oz

B4-2......252'......Dv 19 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
C6-3......464'......Dv 9 FPS.......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Firebird 2D.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  72.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Firebird 3D.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  47.0 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Firebird.rkt (54.0 KB, 117 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-16-2007, 05:57 AM
BP Mafia

Geez, Geoff, post a link to the video. I can't sift through all of the NBA and Mentos/Diet Coke crap. Only so many hours in a week.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Closed Thread