Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-01-2010, 04:53 PM
chrism chrism is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdotmatrix
I went down to Harbor Freight this morning and they had 3 different kits all under $10.; They sell such low grade swag that I just couldn't make myself buy then. I am a moron I guess , soon parted with my money. They were all HF's brand name and didn't see AZTEC. I think I really need to check a book out on airbrush technique so I know what i need to buy.... I appreciate the responses.


Aztek is a Testor's brand and can be found at craft stores and local hobby shops or purchased online. I have a double action HF airbrush and spent $15 w/coupon. So far, I am pleased with it and if it fails I am out not a lot of money.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 6,136
Default I just took the (airbrush) plunge!

That's it--I did it! I just took the (airbrush) plunge! I bought this airbrush & compressor set (see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=250719274959 ), which is available in quantity on eBay for $51.95.

I think a good (well-practiced) airbrush painter can get excellent results even from a cheap airbrush ("Technique over Technology"), because that was my father's experience. The one my father used in the 1960s and 1970s for hobby painting applications was from Sears, and he got excellent results with it. It was a very simple "blow-across" type with a fixed, built-in nozzle, and the whole unit could be screwed onto an ordinary 6 oz. or 8 oz. glass paint jar. For its high-pressure air supply, he used an ordinary single-cylinder Sears air compressor that was powerful enough to inflate tires and to power his large, professional-grade external-mixing paint sprayer that he used for painting houses and woodworking projects.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-02-2010, 04:46 PM
chrism chrism is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
That's it--I did it! I just took the (airbrush) plunge! I bought this airbrush & compressor set (see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=250719274959 ), which is available in quantity on eBay for $51.95.

I think a good (well-practiced) airbrush painter can get excellent results even from a cheap airbrush ("Technique over Technology"), because that was my father's experience. The one my father used in the 1960s and 1970s for hobby painting applications was from Sears, and he got excellent results with it. It was a very simple "blow-across" type with a fixed, built-in nozzle, and the whole unit could be screwed onto an ordinary 6 oz. or 8 oz. glass paint jar. For its high-pressure air supply, he used an ordinary single-cylinder Sears air compressor that was powerful enough to inflate tires and to power his large, professional-grade external-mixing paint sprayer that he used for painting houses and woodworking projects.


I agree with you Blackshire. Why not practice using an airbrush by using a cheaper set. The better you get then you can decide if you want to invest in a better quality airbrush. Sounds like you got a great deal on your purchase.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 PM
o1d_dude's Avatar
o1d_dude o1d_dude is offline
Certified Rocket Monkey
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The failed Socialist State of California
Posts: 551
Default

Hmmm....I still have my Sears airbrush. It came with a small compressor and a normal sized paintgun. I've probably had it since the late 1970's.

I always thought it was a Badger airbrush that had been re-branded.
__________________
Kit (aka Cranky Kong)

I'm just a roadie for the banned...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 6,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
I agree with you Blackshire. Why not practice using an airbrush by using a cheaper set. The better you get then you can decide if you want to invest in a better quality airbrush. Sounds like you got a great deal on your purchase.
Thank you. Before I ever aim it at even the cheapest rocket, I'm going to practice airbrushing pasteboard boxes (the closest analog to tan kraft paper body tubes that I have). Not having a spray booth, I'll lay old newspapers across my stove and tape more sheets of newspapers to the stove heat shield panels on the walls in that corner of the kitchen, to catch the overspray. I can also use the stove hood's exhaust fan to evacuate any fumes from the acrylic paints (these paints shouldn't have much in the way of fumes).
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
chrism chrism is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,284
Default

That's a good idea. Kalmbach Publishing the parent of FineScale Modeler has a publication of how to use an airbrush. It is designed for scale modeling but the techniques can be used for painting rockets as well. Check in to it it may be useful finescale.com

Good luck in your airbrushing!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 6,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
That's a good idea. Kalmbach Publishing the parent of FineScale Modeler has a publication of how to use an airbrush. It is designed for scale modeling but the techniques can be used for painting rockets as well. Check in to it it may be useful finescale.com

Good luck in your airbrushing!
I appreciate this tip. Handling, mixing, thinning, spraying, and cleaning up acrylic paint is totally new to me (I used my father's old Sears airbrush a few times, but only with enamel and lacquer paints).
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 PM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 6,136
Default Acrylic airbrushing "How-To" articles (link)

Also, here is a "How-To" article on airbrushing with acrylic paints (see: http://www.ehow.com/how_6312283_air...lic-paints.html ), which also includes "sidebar" articles on mixing acrylic paints for airbrushing, making airbrush paint, making airbrush *body* paint (hmmm...my friend's draft cross mare would look nice painted up as a Zebra...), and using acrylic paints.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 11-02-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-02-2021, 01:57 AM
vdotmatrix vdotmatrix is offline
Junior Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Default

3/2021...happy to be getting back in to rocketry!
__________________
Novaar #205
NAR#91659SR
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdotmatrix
3/2021...happy to be getting back in to rocketry!


Well, welcome back! Looks like, based on this thread age, it's been about a decade!

Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2021