Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2018, 09:58 PM
BP Mafia

Default No flying, but......

...still plenty of work to do. I was on vacation most of last week as Maria and I try to tempt fate and schedule a few days in June and July just to get some time to enjoy the pool. We took three days in June and three this month and went 5-6 on sunny days. It did rain on Friday, but we needed it badly at that point, so I didn't complain. Instead I opted to repair a bunch of birds that had been damaged in the past few years and finish the paint and decal work on a few others. The big fix was the Estes Solar Probe, which was one that was damaged a few years back when an excited nine year old was pushing the button for me at B6-4 Field and went to do a recovery. Unfortunately my box o' rockets was in his path and he charged over it, crushing a pretty good number of the rockets we'd just finished flying. The Solar Probe was one of the worst, but the Astron Stinger and ReneGoon were badly damaged. Yesterday and today I alternated working on rockets with running to the toilet for National "Something I Ate" Day. Cut a whole new fin for the Solar Probe and got it mounted securely. Also fixed some fins on some plastic fin cans that snapped, the D-Region Tomahawk and Super Nova Payloader in particular, and reset one on a big Goblin that I'm now looking forward to flying again in a couple of weeks. Vacation is over, but I'm hoping I can sneak up to B6-4 Field today to fire up a few before the ballgames start. Did I mention that I also came up with a spreadsheet to show which oldies need to be flown for the first time in decade plus? Oh, yeah. That too.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 07-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Isn’t National Something I Ate Day on a random date each year?

I see you have a Farside-X ready to fly. Please put that at the top of the list! I want to build one so badly, but only after all my Saturns get built.

Regarding your build pile ... I’ve got a Squire built, but not painted. Was that kit a freebie from Semroc? I’ve had it for a long time, but I sure do not remember buying it.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-23-2018, 04:43 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Isn’t National Something I Ate Day on a random date each year?

I see you have a Farside-X ready to fly. Please put that at the top of the list! I want to build one so badly, but only after all my Saturns get built.

Regarding your build pile ... I’ve got a Squire built, but not painted. Was that kit a freebie from Semroc? I’ve had it for a long time, but I sure do not remember buying it.

I had plans to go up to Dayton for a Build & Fly at the Air Force Museum, but my 3am wakeup call cancelled any chance of that. Maria said the four day old Italian sausages were a risk, but here I am, perfectly fine, and we have one less leftover container in the fridge.
The Farside needs a tape wrap and a decal or two, but I plan to take it with me the next time we fly, which I think is the 11th. With a little luck I'll also have the MPC Microsonde 3 ready to fly. As for the Squire, I think you may be right on that. I may have bought it because I was under the impression that it was one of the original kits that Carl designed, but it's possible that it could be one that he tossed in on one of my orders. I think the Rawhide was a gimme kit and it seems that I have several over the years. I did my Squire as a 3fnc. Didn't have the patience for all that sanding.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2