Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2020, 03:06 PM
Craftsman

Default Interceptors and siblings - Interceptor E

I started the Interceptor family build about 2 years ago. Among the first of those was the Interceptor E. But, in my eagerness to start the build, I captured no photos of the build.

So, we'll start with a stock image of an interceptor E.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  stock image.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  12.1 KB  
Old 12-13-2020, 03:07 PM
Craftsman

The first photo of my build is shortly after it has the gray build up primer added.

Then, after smoothing that out, I covered it in white non-sandable primer. I just wanted it to be white, since I was painting it white. I've had the base coat show through white paint in the past. So, a white base coat showing through white paint should not be a problem.

I didn't paint the nose with gray primer, since I didn't want to fill the embossed detail that comes with the nose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  gray primer.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  45.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  white primer.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  41.4 KB  
Old 12-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Craftsman

It wasn't until I got to building the re-issued Interceptor that I realized that the pods should be painted before being attached to the rocket. The same is true for the plastic ring in the back that goes around the engine.

Here is what it looks like to mask off the back end of the rocket just to paint the pods a fluorescent orange after they are installed. Way more work than painting them off the rocket.

A similar mask was used to paint the black ring at the end of the rocket. But no photos of that, since one wad of brown paper bag looks a lot like another wad of brown paper bag.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  orange.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  138.9 KB  
Old 12-13-2020, 03:20 PM
Craftsman

One reason I waited so long to finish the rocket was that I wanted to follow the styling on the box art. That is, have several layers of pearl and non-pearl, showing what look like panels and other details.

I used the guidance provide on this page. Roguepink appears to be the original artist for the box art, and it sounded practical to paint my rocket that way.

But, man that was hard. I started lots of masking, and just wasn't being satisfied. So, before I even painted any of the other panels, I gave up and just went with an automotive white with pearl. I kind of decided that we have a non-zero chance of destroying or losing each rocket we build, and the way added time investment for that finish would only be suitable (for me) if it was to be a shelf queen. But, it's to be a launcher, so I went for the compromise paint scheme.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  left.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  61.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  right.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  57.4 KB  
Old 12-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Craftsman

Speaking of the decals from the last post, those were brutal.

This interceptor E had really, really thin decal film. I mean it made for really hidden decals once applied. They formed easily around the contours of the rocket.

But, (expletive here), they were a bear to work with. They stretched too easily. They loved to fold under themselves, making it really hard to smooth them out.

I read that at some point Estes learned of a problem with the Interceptor E decals and made changes. I hope that the ones I was using were the before decals, because I'd hate to see that they switched to this.

A benefit of those decals is that they were so invisible, and gripped to tight, that I opted against an clearcoat finish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  closeup.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  111.3 KB  
Old 12-13-2020, 03:25 PM
Craftsman

And a family photo.

My entry for the K-50 Interceptor progenitor, and the much taller Interceptor E.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  family photo.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  75.0 KB  
Old 12-13-2020, 08:41 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

That pearl paint is beautiful.

Are you not concerned with the decals become abraded or rubbed off due to wear and tear? That seems to me to be the most important reason to clear-coat.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:26 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
That pearl paint is beautiful.

Are you not concerned with the decals become abraded or rubbed off due to wear and tear? That seems to me to be the most important reason to clear-coat.

I don't know. Maybe I should be.

My take is that wear and tear will take off the paint too.

My personal concern, maybe its my decal style, is that I don't like the edges of decals showing, and I don't like them peeling off. Those are the reasons I'd apply clear for the decals.

I used to even put on heavy clear, and wet sand the edges of the decals to hide the ridge around the decals. Then I wizened up about how I'm building launchable rockets with a significant chance that they might not appear on a shelf again and stopped that practice.

Oh, and honestly, I don't expect this rocket to be launched a whole lot. I have lots of Interceptor-type rockets to slake my thirst for launching.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ
I don't know. Maybe I should be.

My take is that wear and tear will take off the paint too.

Paint is much tougher than decals.

I always clear-coat, and was wondering if it was really necessary. I inquired about this on TRF and some folks reported that they absolutely have had non-clearcoated decals wearing off over time.

Quote:
My personal concern, maybe its my decal style, is that I don't like the edges of decals showing, and I don't like them peeling off. Those are the reasons I'd apply clear for the decals.

Do you use Micro-sol? It helps with both of those issues, but does not protect the decals from wear and tear. Clear-coating provides more certain assurance against peeling and abrasion.

YMMV.