Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2021, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm
Any updates on your progress?

This project started, back in 2004, when I got the original data from Don Larson.

Here is the timeline of what I have come to call "The Curse of Max Planck" ... Regarding NIKE-TOMAHAWK 18.26 IA !

(1) 2004 - I obtained the data from Don Larson.

(2) 2004 - 2016 - My first "collaborator" and I start working on sorting and processing data.
Over the course of 12 years, nothing substantive is accomplished, due to his health
problems, job situation, family life, and personal issues.

(3) 2016 - 2017 - My second "collaborator" ( recently deceased ) developed health issues, marital
problems ( ending in divorce ), and employment difficulties . . . Nothing was accomplished.

(4) 2017 - 2019 - "Collaborator" number three encountered work-related difficulties and was
unable, ultimately, to create anything substantive. He referred me to "Collaborator #4".

(5) 2019 - 2020 - "Collaborator" number four was sent electronic copies of all of my data for
the prototype and promptly disappeared with it, refusing to reply to emails. Zero produced.

(6) 2020 - Late 2020 "Collaborator" number five and I begin putting things together. He died
in December, 2020 . . . Nothing produced.

Now, before anyone asks the obvious question, "Why are you collaborating and why don't you just do it yourself"? . . . The answer is simple . . . I have the data, but I have zero CAD skills and need someone with expertise in it to do this project right !

Are you interested in becoming "Collaborator #6", Chris ??? ( Serious question ).

Dave F.

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 06-21-2022 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:06 PM
Sometimes collector

Sounds deadly!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:30 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Well with no CAD skills, just do it the old fashioned, prior to 1985 way, without CAD.
Then you don't need no steeennnking collaborators.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-17-2021, 07:23 AM
Dazed and Confused

So what you are saying is that you are Spinal Tap and any "collaborator" is the drummer.

BTW, my Marshall goes up to 11.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:51 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
This project started, back in 2004, when I got the original data from Don Larson.

Here is the timeline of what I have come to call "The Curse of Max Planck" . . . Regarding NIKE-TOMAHAWK 18.26 IA !

(1) 2004 - I obtained the data from Don Larson.

(2) 2004 - 2016 - My first "collaborator" and I start working on sorting and processing data.
Over the course of 12 years, nothing substantive is accomplished, due to his health
problems, job situation, family life, and personal issues.

(3) 2016 - 2017 - My second "collaborator" ( recently deceased ) developed health issues, marital
problems ( ending in divorce ), and employment difficulties . . . Nothing was accomplished.

(4) 2017 - 2019 - "Collaborator" number three encountered work-related difficulties and was
unable, ultimately, to create anything substantive. He referred me to "Collaborator #4".

(5) 2019 - 2020 - "Collaborator" number four was sent electronic copies of all of my data for
the prototype and promptly disappeared with it, refusing to reply to emails. Zero produced.

(6) 2020 - Late 2020 "Collaborator" number five and I begin putting things together. He died
in December, 2020 . . . Nothing produced.

Now, before anyone asks the obvious question, "Why are you collaborating and why don't you just do it yourself"? . . . The answer is simple . . . I have the data, but I have zero CAD skills and need someone with expertise in it to do this project right !

Are you interested in becoming "Collaborator #6", Chris ??? ( Serious question ).

Dave F.

Sounds like either you or your project has a curse hanging over it.......
Old 09-17-2021, 09:03 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave

Dave F.

You get what you pay for.
Hire a professional draftsman.
Well worth the money for the skillset involved.
Nowadays most professionals prefer the 3D environment and literally cringe when asked to draft in 2D.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Sounds like either you or your project has a curse hanging over it.......

It's the project . . . LOL !

"The Curse of Max Planck" !

Dave F.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
You get what you pay for.
Hire a professional draftsman.
Well worth the money for the skillset involved.
Nowadays most professionals prefer the 3D environment and literally cringe when asked to draft in 2D.

I had considered that option, but it would likely cost a small fortune, since the draftsman would have to sift through the raw data, in both electronic and printed formats, and interpret it. Also, if the Draftsman doesn't "speak Rocketry", that is another obstacle - Just the printed data is over 5 inches thick !

BTW, BOTH the 1974 & 1980 Model Rocketeer drawings contain errors. Since they were the basis for the ROTW drawings, it is also in error . . . How do I know ? I have the ORIGINAL data used by Don Larson !

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NIKE-TOMAHAWK DATA - 001.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  570.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NIKE-TOMAHAWK DATA - 002.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  566.0 KB  
Old 09-18-2021, 06:26 PM
Craftsman

You could enroll in a community college online course and learn how to CAD.

Too complicated?

How about EasyDraw?

Or.....

Intaglio makes a decent drawing program.

Or find an old iMac (or PowerPC) and boot up a copy of MacDraw in the classic OS environment.

Works pretty well for me.

Lastly, ship all the stuff to me and I will place it alongside the 100+ file boxes of ARC material I am archiving.

The choices are literally endless!
Old 06-21-2022, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Any updates on your progress?

Chris,

Unfortunately, since 2004, I have now worked with 6 different scale modelers, all who are / were proficient in CAD, unsuccessfully.

Without naming names, the first one of them developed psychological, stress-related issues ( including "OCD", I think ) and, over a span of 12 years ( yes, 12 years ), very little, if anything, meaningful to me was ever generated . . . Basically, I was "strung along".

The second person lost his job, went throught a nasty divorce, and passed away, fairly recently . . .

The third person's work schedule changed, radically, resulting in his being unable to participate . . .

#3 referred me to modeler #4 who, after receiving copies of all my data on 18.26IA, promptly "disappeared" and stopped answering my emails . . .

Modeler #5, a long-time friend of mine, started making real progress, until he died unexpectedly ( his wife had their son format all of the hard drives on his computer, resulting in a loss of of of our work, along with a massive data accumluation he acquired over the decades ). He was in the military and she was afraid of what might have been on the computer ( without justification ).

Most recently, modeler #6 was sent the data last year and has "dropped off the radar".

I have come to call all of this "The Curse of Max Planck" ( MPE ).

Anybody out there want to become "Lucky #7" ?

That is a SERIOUS question . . . Don't say "yes", unless you mean it !

I was 42 years old, when I started this in 2004, 1 month before my 43rd brthday . . . I turn 61, in 2 months . . . Next month is the "18th Anniversary" of this saga !

Dave F.

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 06-21-2022 at 10:15 PM.