Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2022, 10:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Queen Elizabeth II — The Original ‘Iron Lady’

I know Margaret Thatcher has long been nicknamed the ‘Iron Lady’ and probably for good reason.

But, I can’t help thinking with the passing of Queen Elizabeth II earlier today after a 70 year reign lasting longer than probably most of us here have been alive, whether that moniker is probably not better fitted to her.

Relavency of the monarchy aside, she has been a ‘foundation’ for the people of the UK spanning multiple generations and has carried out her duties through thick and thin through a period of time that has spanned 14 American presidents, few of which would seemingly have had the same stamina.

In a period where carrying oneself with dignity and some level of class is on increasing decline (“Hey, I can be a total ass if I want to” seems to be a common motto these days), she stayed the course of human decency that used to be commonplace.

Her family has had its issues no doubt and probably internal challenges that we will never hear about. But through it all she has been a rock, an anvil, an ‘Iron Lady’ that I wish we had more of in our country and society at large.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-09-2022, 05:46 AM
BP Mafia

Yeah, no. Margaret Thatcher actually mattered. All Elizabeth did was ride herd on a bunch that made the Kardashians look classy. That said, I guess we'll be seeing funeral coverage 24-7 for the next few weeks. Maybe even some breathless coverage of whether or not Harry and Megan will show for the funeral. It's like a bad soap opera, something we just don't seem to have enough of here in the colonies.
I was just thinking last night that Steve Martin needs to rewrite King Tut as King Chuck. (Hey, Elton did it for Diana. It's only fair.) King Chuck, married to a donkey. Funky Chuck, he's my favorite honky.
Not sure if it's coming across, but I have zero interest in the royals. Never did. Never will. Hopefully our reward for putting up with their drivel is a new Bloom County strip or two. I did enjoy those back in the early 80's.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-09-2022, 06:44 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Bill, couldn't disagree with you more. Queen Elizabeth literally dedicated her entire life to the British people. For her, it was never ME, ME, ME.............it was all about THEM. Many people fail to understand and appreciate the role of the British Monarchy..........that is, to provide a constancy, a steadiness which can't be supplied by revolving door prime ministers.

Many people gripe about her wealth, and she is certainly wealthy, but is that her fault? BTW, she has a reputation for frugality, not wanting to cost the British taxpayer any more than is necessary. And what is the annual cost to the taxpayer? About 2 pounds sterling per person. Pretty cheap IMHO.

Too bad we don't have a similar calming influence over here. If we had had her steady and reasonable insights and commentary over the last 70 years we might not have the extreme polarization that we currently see in our politics. I like to think the effect would be like having every President back to Washington sitting in the oval office scrutinizing decisions and behaviour.

So Earl, agree with your comments wholeheartedly!
Old 09-09-2022, 09:14 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

+1 to what Earl and mojo just said above.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-09-2022, 01:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Yeah, no. Margaret Thatcher actually mattered. All Elizabeth did was ride herd on a bunch that made the Kardashians look classy. That said, I guess we'll be seeing funeral coverage 24-7 for the next few weeks. Maybe even some breathless coverage of whether or not Harry and Megan will show for the funeral. It's like a bad soap opera, something we just don't seem to have enough of here in the colonies.
I was just thinking last night that Steve Martin needs to rewrite King Tut as King Chuck. (Hey, Elton did it for Diana. It's only fair.) King Chuck, married to a donkey. Funky Chuck, he's my favorite honky.
Not sure if it's coming across, but I have zero interest in the royals. Never did. Never will. Hopefully our reward for putting up with their drivel is a new Bloom County strip or two. I did enjoy those back in the early 80's.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

I guess I was speaking more about the 'individual' Queen Elizabeth than the royals at large.

Some of her offspring have no doubt had their issues and my gut feeling is she is/was about as sick of some of that as we 'common folk' were. But I'm not sure anyone could make the Kardashians look classy.....

Yes, waaaay too many people in this country (and the world at large too) love to hear about the soap opera drama, in-fighting, back-biting, sorrdid details of famous people's lives. Never have cared one whit about THAT stuff myself ever. Too many seem to WANT others lives to be that way for their own personnal entertainment. The more tasteless, trashy, and sorry the behavior is, the more some people seem to like it. I don't get it....

But the Queen, as an individual, in her role as Queen, seemed to keep herself above that, and as mentioned in my first post, has been a rock for the people of the UK for so long now that most truly have no memory or experience beyond her. And it's likely they will never see another of her kind again.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970