Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
First off, I purchased a razor plane for shaping the fins, but couldn't get the darned blade adjusted the way I wanted. It always seemed to dig too deeply. It's a cheapo plane, and I guess you get what you pay for. So, I tried hcmbanjo's advice and sanded the tapers using a home-made flat sander. The result was adequate, but I look forward to buying another kit and having another go. In retrospect, I should have saved the balsa sheets so I could make extra fins for practice. The photo below shows the "diamond" in the trailing edge - exactly what I wanted. The root edge wasn't as crisp as I had hoped, however - hence the desire for another attempt!

With the fins done, the rocket will be completed soon!

Dumb question, where can you get a razor plane? Lowes, Home Depot?

BTW, its looking good.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
The finished bird with decals by Excelsior!

Wow, that turned out great.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Master Modeler

This is the best wood plan on the planet for small jobs. I've been using these since 1986. You can shave anything from balsa to aluminum. The blades last an extremely long time. This is what I used when building the prototype Honest John and it's what I've used on ALL my airplanes since I was first introduced to this wood plan.

I'm not saying to purchase this item from this website since I'm not even sure where this company is located but simply search for the David Combi Plan online and you will find several places it can be purchased.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  david combi.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  95.1 KB  
Old 10-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
That's a pretty looking model. I am very happy that sandman is able to supply after market decals for this model.

John Boren

That's a good looking model!

Now I will sit and wait for the lawyers to come bashing down my door.

It should be fun, I haven't killed a lawyer in a long time.

Shakespeare was right.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 10-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Ciderwright

To parody your signature, you don't kill lawyers. You terminate them when their retainer is gone.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Scratch Builder

Default Holes or Pins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
I found a much better image of the holes that are on that strap that goes around the body of the Honest John. It clearly shows how the holes are off set to one side.

So the Real Question is what in the heck is this band with holes in it for?

John Boren

I've wondered about this as well. Your post #11 shows the holes plugged. I'll go out on a limb here and propose that most of the display M-31's out there were training units with inert motors. The two motor segments were simply welded together. On the operational motors the segments were joined at the factory with the holes being filled with press-fit pins. My justification would be that you would not want to be welding on a live motor. It would also offer a very quick way to ID a live vs training motor. You would think someone out there knows someone who worked on these way back when and could enlighten us.

Joe
Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Scratch Builder

Quote:
Step 2 entails building up the fins. I hoped the fins would be wood cores with built-up cardstock to give the beveled shape (much like the Pro-Series Patriot or Astrobee 1500 by Saturn Press). Alas, the fins are just two pieces of 1/16" balsa glued flat to the 1/16" balsa core. The bevel must be sanded. NOT MY FORTE! I'm open to suggestions on how to achieve a clean bevel.

Anyway, I'm building up one side at a time, then letting the glue dry under the weight of bean-bag style scuba weights. (The weights pretty much cover the fins). This is enough for tonight. Jeffy Jeep would stop now for an IPA and a Scotch. I'll settle for a nice Pale Ale!

I'm waiting for my kit to arrive and planning a few mods. Thanks for the info on the balsa thickness. I'm not much for sanding things to shape either. I do not believe I could get 4 identical fins or even symmetrical ones. I'll likely do what I did on my MadCow 4" HoJo and cut a core out of 1/16" G-10 and a tapered piece for the central ridge line of the diamond airfoil. That way I can can sand the balsa parts down to the G-10 and guarantee symmetrical and identical fins.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

My cousin's husband was on a HoJo unit in Europe in the late 50's but he doesn't remember enough about it to help us out with any details.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:16 AM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

In message #47, I posted a photo of a young man posing next to a real Honest John.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...51&postcount=47

I said I planned to give him the new Estes kit for Christmas.

So, here's an update. Since he's too young to remember specifics about what kind of rocket he posed with months ago, I printed out the big picture and used that to cover over the kit bag. Here he is with his dad pointing out that's him next to that rocket.

And here he is after unwrapping the rest of it.

He was REALLY happy to get it. He was hugging it like a new puppy, but I didn't get a good pic of that. It's not his first rocket, he has an E2X and a couple of "Skill level 1/2" saucer-ish models, he'll need a bit of guidance with this one. He really likes flying rockets.

This will be built as a unique looking fun sport rocket he can fly, not as a scale model this time (maybe another HJ kit when he's older). And as I said before, since his favorite color is orange….. this may end up as an "Orangest John", will have to see what he wants to go with.

John Boren , thanks again for working up a great new kit like this. And please feel free to share the pics with others at Estes who might like to see them (including Mary R.)

Sad to say, I wont be posting anything else like this here for quite awhile. So I wanted to give this update now.

- George Gassaway
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 12-31-2015, 07:22 AM
Old BAR

Really cool, George!

I'll miss your informative posts..

Allen