Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Master Modeler

Default Estes Mean Machine Build Kit No. 1295

I picked up a couple of these Mean Machine re-issues when they first came out. They have been sitting on a shelf until now. I built the original back in the 70’s. It was a great kit and it had many successful flights. I'm finally getting around to seeing how the new improved version stacks up.

The parts all look good. Someone did recently tell me at a launch that his new improved Mean Machine uncoupled during a launch causing damage to both the upper and lower sections of the rocket since they both fell to the ground unaided by the chute. He suggested putting tape around the coupler during flight. It seems to me that the coupler is strong enough to not become uncoupled during flight, at least on the model I just completed.

Specs-
Length: 79 in., Diameter: 1.64 in., Weight: 5.8 oz.
Laser Cut Balsa Fins, Waterslide Decals, Parachute Recovery
Recommended Engines: D12-3, D12-5, E9-4, E9-6
Max Altitude: 900 ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Kit.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  176.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Parts.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  152.7 KB  

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Master Modeler

The instructions were straight forward, starting with the motor mount. Although following the directions the end of the motor hook that rests against the engine block ring would remain unsecured. In most builds either the centering ring or at least tape would be used to hold that end of the motor hook in place, but in the instructions that was not called for. I wrapped electrical tape around the engine hook in two places to make sure it didn’t become unseated at some point in the future. The second wrap was overkill, but I had all this tape and nothing else to do with it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Mount.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  162.4 KB  

Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Master Modeler

Next up was fin preparation which was very easy since the fins were laser cut and of good quality balsa. I used FNF on each side of the fins and I beveled the leading, trailing and outer edges, although the instructions did not call for that to be done.

I moved the lower edge of the fins down by ¾ inch so that when the Mean Machine is on the floor it is standing on the four fin tips instead of the engine hook. I don’t think this will take away from the stability of the rocket, but if I need to add nose weight I can do that pre-launch.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Master Modeler

Before I installed the engine mount I considered tying a piece of Kevlar line to it to supplement the rubber shock cord provided with the kit. I decided against that since the line would be exposed to the hot ejection particles/gas in the confined tube space.

Instead I drilled a small hole in the upper coupler and inserted the thread through from the inside of the coupler. I then epoxied that in and secured it on the outside of the coupler with CA. I glued the coupler into the tube with epoxy which made for a strong connection (I hope). I used 45 inches of Kevlar line which is enough to have a good 8 inches of line past the top of the upper most tube opening.

Later in the build process I tied the rubber shock cord to the Kevlar line and then tied the other end of the rubber shock cord to the nose cone. The chute attaches directly to the cone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Coupler.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  151.1 KB  

Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Master Modeler

When I went to apply the large Mean Machine decal I found that the decals (at least with my kit) are of extremely poor quality. The large decal ripped when I tried to apply it and it also folded over on itself in a number of places. I think it was just too thin. The smaller Mean Machine fin decals were no better.

To lessen the rumpled look I applied Micro Sol which when dry flattened things out fairly well, but I’m not happy with the decals at all, and the finished look isn’t what I had wanted. Although I will be flying this rocket quite a bit so it’s looks will quickly change anyway.

I’ll have to wait until the weekend for the first flight, but if it’s anything like every other Mean Machine I’ve ever seen, it should perform very well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Finished.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  139.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Finished 2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  159.5 KB  

Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 PM
"now where did THAT one go??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
When I went to apply the large Mean Machine decal I found that the decals (at least with my kit) are of extremely poor quality. The large decal ripped when I tried to apply it and it also folded over on itself in a number of places. I think it was just too thin. The smaller Mean Machine fin decals were no better.

To lessen the rumpled look I applied Micro Sol which when dry flattened things out fairly well, but I’m not happy with the decals at all, and the finished look isn’t what I had wanted. Although I will be flying this rocket quite a bit so it’s looks will quickly change anyway.

I’ll have to wait until the weekend for the first flight, but if it’s anything like every other Mean Machine I’ve ever seen, it should perform very well.

I've always loved the Mean Machine, but have never had the chance to own one. Yours is a beaut, and if you hadn't pointed out the issue with the decals I don't think I would've noticed. Nice job!
Are you worried about zippering though, with the kevlar extending out of the tube? Wondering if I'm being paranoid or if you've got a tip/trick with reinforcement of the edge of the tube?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
I moved the lower edge of the fins down by ¾ inch so that when the Mean Machine is on the floor it is standing on the four fin tips instead of the engine hook. I don’t think this will take away from the stability of the rocket, but if I need to add nose weight I can do that pre-launch.

Don't worry about it. You are moving the CP back while moving an almost negligible amount of mass. Yours should be even more stable.

The only problem is that they are now exposed to landing damage...

Bill
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopirV
I've always loved the Mean Machine, but have never had the chance to own one. Yours is a beaut, and if you hadn't pointed out the issue with the decals I don't think I would've noticed. Nice job!
Are you worried about zippering though, with the kevlar extending out of the tube? Wondering if I'm being paranoid or if you've got a tip/trick with reinforcement of the edge of the tube?

Thanks for the kind words and you make a great point about zippering.

I've got some soft tubing that I use on larger rockets for the very same reason. I think I will do two things;

1 - I will CA the top 1 inch of the inside of the tube end, there's a little wiggle room anyway so I won't even have to sand down the shoulder of the nose cone.

2 - I will cut a 2 inch piece of tubing and run the Kevlar through it so that where it makes contact with the tube end it will be enclosed in the tubing. that should prevent any zippering.

Thanks for calling that out. Zippers and rockets aren't good together!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Don't worry about it. You are moving the CP back while moving an almost negligible amount of mass. Yours should be even more stable.

That's what I was thinking. I'll have to post up a flight report after I get it in the air a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
The only problem is that they are now exposed to landing damage...

Good point, and where I fly the ground is compact and pretty hard in places so I'll have to keep the glue close by.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Hey man ,nice build and nice timing ! I was at the LHS buying some Tamiya tape and i spied me a Mean Machine so i bought it (you know ,to bring back old memories )

I like the way they made it in two pieces.......superb idea. I`ve flown it about 6 times and every time a great flight ,even on old Estes E-9`s . I did make a few changes ,like epoxy fro the fins and fillets ,epoxy for the plastic/strene coupler and 1010 rail buttons instead of tube lugs and then an Aerotech 20" drag chute and my own cloth elastic shock cord and longer .And as always ,CA in the motor tube aft & forward and around the BT where the nose cone fits....always a good practice.
I really can`t see the plastic coupler comming apart during flight nor at ejection ,as it is a good strong twist and lock connection

OH...and the decals...trashed those buggers and painted the rocket black & orange.

Gonna buy another soon

Paul T ( aka sodmeister) of G- Force fame

Last edited by BlackBrant : 09-15-2010 at 02:19 PM.