Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2023, 05:46 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Solar Eclipses — 2023 and 2024

Over the next 13 months or so, there will be two major solar eclipse events that will pass over the continental US. And for those around the San Antonio, TX area, you will have a front-seat view of BOTH events.

NASA story link: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...ipses-in-the-us

The first event, around October of this year, will be an annular eclipse; that is, there will remain a ‘ring of fire’ around the moon during the peak of the eclipse. The second event, in April, 2025, will be a total eclipse event.

In 2017, I was very fortunate in that we were able to make about a 30 minute drive to be in the path of totality in the South Carolina area. That was my first and only total eclipse I had experienced, and I have to say it truly was a wonderful experience…almost on a religious level. Matter of fact, we witnessed it on the front lawn of a church in the area we pulled over to watch the event. Truly moving.

If you have a chance to see one of these events in your area, or even have to make some amount of a trip to see it, I don’t think you will be disappointed in the experience.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-09-2023, 08:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The second event, in April, 2025, will be a total eclipse event.

Monday April 8th, 2024, actually.

Quote:
In 2017, I was very fortunate in that we were able to make about a 30 minute drive to be in the path of totality in the South Carolina area. That was my first and only total eclipse I had experienced, and I have to say it truly was a wonderful experience…almost on a religious level. Matter of fact, we witnessed it on the front lawn of a church in the area we pulled over to watch the event. Truly moving.

If you have a chance to see one of these events in your area, or even have to make some amount of a trip to see it, I don’t think you will be disappointed in the experience.

Earl

My wife and I went to Madras, Oregon to see the 2017 total eclipse and immediately decided we would see the next one if at all possible. It being in April rather than August leads to a higher likelihood of weather complications. Where we will try to see it remains to be decided. Best case scenario - Mazatlán.

The annular eclipse this October 14th will see us in Newport, Oregon, hoping for the best, weather-wise.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-09-2023, 08:13 PM
Craftsman

Just a quick correction, the total solar eclipse is April 8, 2024.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024

I was able to view the 2017 total eclipse in Wyoming. Viewing a total solar eclipse is definitely a bucket list item.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Apollo Nut

Sorry about the typo on the date….had 2024 in my head; fingers punched 2025.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-10-2023, 12:12 PM
Lost his Drifter

We saw the 2017 eclipse from the cemetery in downtown Sparta, TN. I do not want to miss either of these upcoming events. A total eclipse is a must-see event.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 03-12-2023, 06:46 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

I'll be visiting my brother April 2024. Why? Total eclipse in his backyard! He came and visited me during the last one. Cussed up a storm! Reaffic REALLY heavy trying to go back home. Should have stayed the night.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
I'll be visiting my brother April 2024. Why? Total eclipse in his backyard! He came and visited me during the last one. Cussed up a storm! Reaffic REALLY heavy trying to go back home. Should have stayed the night.

My wife and I sat under our shade canopy and sipped wine while we watched the crazies (who started to leave essentially as soon as totality was over) try to leave the Madras, Oregon airport. It took them hours to go a few hundred feet.

We didn’t leave until the next day and still got into some crazy traffic.

Hopefully the weather where your brother lives will be suitable.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE