Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:10 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
...Those cooling fins are a mutha to sand But it looks good. I like it...

Probably need to pre-finish those cooling fins before assembly, and attach them with white glue. They could be either 1/16" balsa if done by hand, or 0.05" matteboard (laser-cut) with some help from Carl...

Glad you liked it!

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-03-2008, 02:10 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Design Sketch

It took me awhile to figure out what name to give this one, but "DUALIST" kept sticking to my few brain cells...

The main diameter is ST-10, but it has twin ST-5 motor tubes. There is a lot of balsa removal in this design. Each of the motor tubes begins with a nose cone, but the cones are hollowed out to fit around another nose cone in the tail of the main body tube. This nose cone is also hollowed out to fit the two tubes. The motor tubes, obviously, need to vent into the main tube for parachute deployment.

It's not the clearest view of the arrangement, sorry, and what you'll wind up with is far less than what you start with. Hardly enough to even call them cones. An alternative is to just start with balsa blocks and sand them down to a visually pleasing shape that blends the whole mess together.

Power is two 13mm motors. You could probably use 1/2A3-4Ts and get reasonable flights (combined you get roughly the power of a single A3-4T). I don't know what the outcome might be if you only get one motor to light, but that's an issue for prepping.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Dualist.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  225.0 KB  

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
It took me awhile to figure out what name to give this one, but "DUALIST" kept sticking to my few brain cells...

The main diameter is ST-10, but it has twin ST-5 motor tubes. There is a lot of balsa removal in this design. Each of the motor tubes begins with a nose cone, but the cones are hollowed out to fit around another nose cone in the tail of the main body tube. This nose cone is also hollowed out to fit the two tubes. The motor tubes, obviously, need to vent into the main tube for parachute deployment.

It's not the clearest view of the arrangement, sorry, and what you'll wind up with is far less than what you start with. Hardly enough to even call them cones. An alternative is to just start with balsa blocks and sand them down to a visually pleasing shape that blends the whole mess together.

Power is two 13mm motors. You could probably use 1/2A3-4Ts and get reasonable flights (combined you get roughly the power of a single A3-4T). I don't know what the outcome might be if you only get one motor to light, but that's an issue for prepping.

Enjoy!

Geez, Craig. Your doodles turn out better than my finished product.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Geez, Craig. Your doodles turn out better than my finished product.

Thanks, Bill. Thirty-some-odd years ago, in HS, I took vocational architectural drafting. Managed about 1500 board hours (or was that bored hours?) drawing house plans. I never managed to put that training into practice professionally, but now some of it gets a workout doing these drawings. It's a hangover from trying to draw three-point perspective views (which I never fully mastered...).

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Design Sketch...

This is a blend of some "Star Wars" ideas and some of James Pierson's "Ping Pong Ball Alley" designs, for which I've drawn a total blank when it comes to giving it a name.

The main diameter is ST-10, with a PPB for a nose. The forward ring is ST-20, and this gives it just a little gap around the ball. The only mounting for this ring is the four (or more) dowels around the back edge. The model breaks a couple of inches behind the PPB, and recovery is via 12" parachute.

Centering rings form an "engineering / reactor" section at the forward end of the main body.

The rear of the model has a narrow ring of BT-101 inset into the TEs of the main fins. I've decorated the tips of each fin with "X-Wing" style probes, so there could be some additional detail work added here.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  211.2 KB  

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
BAR 13790

Default Cool Designs

I like

Some great designs there - can't wait to see them in Rocksim.

By the way - has anyone heard when Version 9 will be available and the cost?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Dragon Seeker

CPMcGraw Quote:
Quote:
This is a blend of some "Star Wars" ideas and some of James Pierson's "Ping Pong Ball Alley" designs, for which I've drawn a total blank when it comes to giving it a name.

That Alley is an Endless, Blind, Alley as well . Still working on the Ping Pong Ball Shooter and others .

Great drawing and designs Craig, I do believe you have a gift for drawing in 3D. I sure hope
that you get Rocksim 9 soon so we can see your designs take shape. I seem to lack your gift for drawing in 3D so I use Rocksim to compensate. I can imagine what I want something to look like but can't seem to get it right on paper. Keep up the good work Craig.

Here is another design I have called the Dragon Seeker. This design has average altitudes and good Dvs'. I was looking for something different in an color scheme and settled for purple and black which is definetly differnt.

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Dragon Seeker (18mm)
Launch guide length: 36.0000 In

MOTOR.................MAX. ALTITUDE...........DEP. VELOCITY
B4-4..................354.26181 Ft.............9.5409 ft/s
B6-4..................361.17126 Ft.............6.0193 ft/s
C6-5..................804.07152 Ft. ...........4.7854 ft/s

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Dragon Seeker 2D Image.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  21.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Dragon Seeker 3D Image #1.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  17.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Dragon Seeker 3D Image #2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  15.3 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Dragon Seeker II.rkt (60.8 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-03-2008, 08:48 PM
BAR

Default Tube Fin 13mm

Hey James
Another great design such coolness.
Remember that 13mm tube fin rocket you gave Conner at our last launch well . we cut down the streamer a tad loaded up a A3-4 and this thing scoots would you please post a sims photo/drawing, parts list SEMROC parts of course or pm me. I'd like to build one or possible upscale to a 18mm ABC.

Thanks
John

Also posted our OPROC club launch site on Google Earth.

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037

Last edited by johnnwwa : 12-03-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Just another BAR!

Craig - really cool sketches! I doodle design ideas, but like James said you got a gift for 3D sketching.

James - your Dragon Seeker design is very cool! I like the choice of purple!

I've been working up a couple of new designs including a "C" power version of my Chronos single plyon ring-fin design and a space plane type design. They need a little more tweaking. I've been learning a lot reading through this thread and the previous Barclone threads.

I've updated my RockSim setup with the parts files available from EMMR but it still seems to be lacking some manufacturer parts. Is there a site to get the latest parts files for vendor such as Semroc, Fliskits, BMS, etc.

In the past, I've created some Sub-Assemblies in Rocksim for manufacturer Engine Mount Kits, Engine Baffles etc. Would these sub-assembly designs be appropriate to post in this thread or would a new thread be more appropriate?

Thanks,

... Bill
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
...In the past, I've created some Sub-Assemblies in Rocksim for manufacturer Engine Mount Kits, Engine Baffles etc. Would these sub-assembly designs be appropriate to post in this thread or would a new thread be more appropriate?...

We'll take 'em!

I wish we could add subassemblies to the database, like regular parts. I'm not sure even RS9 will have that capability. Maybe we could all suggest that to TVM for a future version.

I also keep a set of motor mounts saved to simplify doodle work, in various lengths.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Closed Thread