Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2020, 12:08 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Your motors last appeared at East Coast launches around 15 years ago where there was private insurance and the AHJ was supportive. The vendor seems willing to provide them again, so have the vendor bring them and announce where they will be. Judge the market by the rate of sales. Don't put something in the mail to some poor sucker because you 'know' it's OK.

I and I assume others are sick to death of vaporware motor announcements. The happiest times were when Estes brought out 29mm bp motors with no fanfare - just put the motors where their mouth is.

Absolutely... less talk, more action.

If you invent a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door...

Later! OL J R
Old 04-30-2020, 12:19 PM
Craftsman

Yes, my reference for the large models is either the Aerotech G-12 32mm reload or G-12 single use 29mm motor they are trying to certify if they can keep temps low enough. 8 or 12 second burn time, about 5 pounds spike off the pad for a second, 2.5-3 pounds sustained thrust. Lower average thrust won't work for me for these sizes of a model with weight ready to fly of 27 oz or so assuming that includes a 4.5oz to 5 .5 ounce motor.

For people with more standard pod and boom type gliders where the motor is mounted on the cg so cg shift isn't so important, the weight may not matter and smaller average thrust may be fine.

Can you answer for your 120G008 weight is before and after burn and what your pad kick thrust actually is in lb/oz or whatever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
A 120G008 is a model rocket motor. If you neeed 12+N then you ether need 38mm or a much faster burn propellant in 29mm.

I would give you links but al my websites are down right now. Maybe look at wayback machine v-serv.com/usr G008 and H25 to begin with. You have not specified if you need an initial thrust slug. I am kinda curious what plane folks would prefer.

An AT 29mm 80F10 for example has about 2 pounds for 0.5-1.0 seconds with its RAT core. A G008 has an offset moon so the initial slug is closer to 1.5 seconds.

The motors I actually have in the longer burn are not for rockets or airplanes and have no initial thrust slug. This would be a modification.

Jerry
Old 04-30-2020, 03:31 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

It sounds like you are covered. the promass is 62g. The casemass is approximately 40g. It is phenolic. They are no longer certified. My lack of certification is political not willingness. My membership status is "denied". I have plenty of them and I am thinking they will be among our DOT exempt line in a few months. The G008 is a truly awesome motor as is the 38mm H25. I have had a few boxes of motors ready for cert since a little after 1994. The ones I already submitted ended up at private sport launches in NV where they were intended to be tested that year. For TRA/NAR.

Just Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 1.29.16 PM.png
Views: 68
Size:  249.7 KB  
Old 04-30-2020, 03:34 PM
Craftsman

that would be an interesting motor but sounds like you don't have any plans on making those are getting them recertified?

Quote:
It sounds like you are covered. the promass is 62g. The casemass is approximately 40g. It is phenolic. They are no longer certified.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:20 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I LIKE the NO CERTIFICATION attitude. Sounds like a cool Super-Roc motor.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-03-2020, 08:22 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Yes

Quote:
So I was able to achieve a truly DOT/ATF/NAR/NFPA exempt propellant. You can buy a candle. You can buy a rocket motor.

The issue is the clubs are involved in arbitrary rulemaking and that exemption from them makes them nervous (irrationally, because we always need clubs). So my question is simple from the perspective of THIS audience. Are you even willing to buy exempt product or does it violate your religion?

Just Jerry

Jerry,

Yes, I would if such a product was available for a different type of flight model.

In the past Jet-x was available, also Rapiers for airplane model use. You can't find anything for them anymore. Have you thought about adding a whole new market to your product line?

Mike
Old 10-03-2020, 09:09 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker

The height of arrogance to me is the @ss-backwards "decertification" system that instantly 'decertifies' a motor basically at their whim when it's no longer "generally available", like the gazillion of them out there are good one moment and magically "bad" the next simply because they're no longer being produced in mass quantities... OH, but *IF* you genuflect at the altar and do your paperwork and get a papal indulgence, you CAN fly these magically decerted motors "legally" in the "old motor test program" or whatever...

Later! OL J R

EXACTLY !

And, if I show up at a launch with a 1970 dated Estes B6-4, it's completely ok, because the motor type is still certified.
But no Enerjets, SSRS, no longer produced Aerotech, or my huge stock of Kosdon reloads....

Go figure.

AL
Old 10-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Craftsman

Default not so sure about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
EXACTLY !

And, if I show up at a launch with a 1970 dated Estes B6-4, it's completely ok......

I thought that "certification" also involved some requirement for the motor to be currently commonly available so as not to give some hoarder an unfair advantage.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:22 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Jerry,

Yes, I would if such a product was available for a different type of flight model.

In the past Jet-x was available, also Rapiers for airplane model use. You can't find anything for them anymore. Have you thought about adding a whole new market to your product line?

Mike

Pretty sure Jerry is past the point of being able to reply to you here.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 10-03-2020, 10:37 PM
spirit of 72