Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012, 02:00 AM
BP Mafia

Default FSI Intrepid clone

Still working out my inner FSI demons, but closing in on the end of the journey. The Intrepid was one of two FSI kits (the Hercules is currently in paint,) that I ordered parts for from Semroc after vowing to finish all my Semroc Christmas rockets. So much for vows. The parts on these birds are all Estes size, so this one is a BT-60 to BT-70 bird with BT-50 pods. FSI tolerances being what they were, I'm comfortable with this.

Forgot the group parts shot. Fins are 3/32" basswood.

Pod cones are AKA Estes Yankee cones. The struts are made from 1/8" x 1/8" balsa and needed minimal sanding to slip into the BT-50 pods. I plan to use D11-P motors in the pods when I fly it as a cluster. (Something I plan to do at least once.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 AM
BP Mafia

I did the construction in fits and starts over a two week period, gluing things together as I had the chance. The fins were attached and filleted one night at work over an 8 hour shift. By the time I left, everything was dry. I attached the pods the same way after gluing the strips to the side and doing the fill & finish work at home.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 AM
BP Mafia

Decent weather for a couple of days earlier in the week, so I did a dry-fit for a photo op. I still have to install the main motor mount and engine blocks in the pods, as well as glue the whole thing together, but by sometime this weekend it should be done and in primer. Not sure of the color scheme just yet, but I'm thinking about black/white/neon yellow. That might be too Steeler-esque, so it's subject to change.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Master Modeler

Looks good! It's been so long since I flew mine, I don't clearly recall its flights. I do know that I used a couple of the official motor packs, which were high-thrust to say the least.

Back in the Day, I replaced my Intrepid's pods with BT-50, so it could use D12s.

If I did another clone, I'd use foil-lined 24mm mount tube, for sturdiness.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Looks good! It's been so long since I flew mine, I don't clearly recall its flights. I do know that I used a couple of the official motor packs, which were high-thrust to say the least.

Back in the Day, I replaced my Intrepid's pods with BT-50, so it could use D12s.

If I did another clone, I'd use foil-lined 24mm mount tube, for sturdiness.

I don't think I'll fly more than a few times with the three motor setup, so the tube strength shouldn't be an issue.
No picture of yours?

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Master Modeler

I got rid of almost all of my large rockets in 1997, when I was preparing to move to my new job across country. The Intrepid was one of the models I sold.

If I have pictures, they're in print or negative form.