Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2020, 05:07 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Those MRC Concept II kits were great! Well thought out with nice optional features and high quality parts. The Iron Man kit was a favorite of mine and I built one a few years ago. Still unpainted. But today all of the kits in this line go for big bucks, more than I'm willing to pay, especially when I have to pay USPS as well. Now, if I could get another Iron Man and avoid paying postage, I'd pay a pretty good price.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Does anyone have any of the MRC Tracker engines that they could post a photo of here in this thread?
Old 05-01-2020, 08:21 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joltinjoecanada
Does anyone have any of the MRC Tracker engines that they could post a photo of here in this thread?

These are the MRC Tracker Motors. MRC also had - and I forget what they were called - motors that only produced a thick white smoke (maybe they were called 'smokers'?) that were ignited 5-10 seconds before the standard motors were ignited. I never used them or saw them in action - maybe someone here can fill in the details. I believe MRC sold a special Launch Controller that had 2 launch buttons and 4 leads to handle the motors.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1056.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  604.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1058.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  300.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1059.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  156.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1065.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  170.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1067.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  588.5 KB  
SAM #0031
Old 05-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Apollo Nut

I think the smaller smoking motors were called FX motors if I am not mistaken. And you are right about the special controller to light them before actual rocket liftoff. I have one of the controllers, pads, and a pack of the FX motors, but have never used them before. Was gonna use them when I built one of the Concept II kits that use them.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-01-2020, 08:31 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Sean, thanks for your post. Have you ever actually used one of the Tracker motors?
Old 05-01-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I think the smaller smoking motors were called FX motors if I am not mistaken. And you are right about the special controller to light them before actual rocket liftoff. I have one of the controllers, pads, and a pack of the FX motors, but have never used them before. Was gonna use them when I built one of the Concept II kits that use them.

Earl

Yes!! FX motors is correct. I was too lazy to dig out my Trail Blazer kit to check. See the diagram below.
I bought this kit from Kevin at Countdown Hobbies way back when. Got it on the cheap because it's missing the lower fins.(if anyone out there has a spare set, PM me).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_1068.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  532.6 KB  
SAM #0031
Old 05-01-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Sean, thanks for your post. Have you ever actually used one of the Tracker motors?

No, I haven't used them. I bought these from a fellow member at a CMASS club launch, but never got around to using them.
SAM #0031
Old 05-01-2020, 09:28 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

Joe, they were just the regular German-made MRC motors with a black label slapped on them and the nozzle-like igniter holder (predated Estes' plugs by a year or so)
Old 05-01-2020, 09:35 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
These are the MRC Tracker Motors. MRC also had - and I forget what they were called - motors that only produced a thick white smoke (maybe they were called 'smokers'?) that were ignited 5-10 seconds before the standard motors were ignited. I never used them or saw them in action - maybe someone here can fill in the details. I believe MRC sold a special Launch Controller that had 2 launch buttons and 4 leads to handle the motors.

Sean

The FX motors were a bit hit-and-miss. Sometimes they would work, sometimes they would fizzle, and sometimes they did their version of cato -- just spit themselves onto the ground, smouldering. I'm about to post some video (on the royatlvideo YouTube channel) of the 1991 ECRM contest in Middletown, MD. There's a Saturn V being flown with them. First attempt, the owner calls a hold at 'one' because the LCO didn't fire the FXs. Then the next attempt is shown with both (? not sure how many there were) FXs spitting. Out of the three packs I bought, I only had 2 FX successes, though in one case, the main engine didn't fire!
Old 05-01-2020, 09:45 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

The MRC FX motors were just very small smoke cartridges that the modeler could ignite before the rocket launched to give the effect of pre-liftoff smoke.

The actual smoke produced was thin and wispy and could be hard to see.
A neat idea that added 'play value' to the product but not that noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  MRC FX Motor.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  157.2 KB