Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2024, 04:45 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Boeing continues to be BOZOeing.

Hilarious about Airbuss landing with nose gear crossed 90? to the travel direction.
I imagine the situation in actuality just results in a skidding tire perpendicular to the travel direction and eventual blown tires.

To be fair, a lot of the incidents with Boeing aircraft that have been reported over the last three months happen on a regular basis - regardless of manufacturer. When there are thousands of commercial jetliners - flying multiple times per day and racking up about 4,000 flight hours per year per aircraft - things are going to go wrong. For example - in the engine business - one engine shutdown per 100,000 flight hours is really good (for comparison, a really busy pilot might rack up 1,000 hrs/year - meaning there is less than a 50/50 chance they will ever experience an in-flight shutdown during their flying career outside the simulator training). The 737 NG (-600/700/800/900) fleet flies well over a million hours per month - meaning 10 shutdowns in a month is still pretty **** good, but you'd never know it based on the breathless press reports when an aircraft diverts because of an engine failure.
It's just the media feeding frenzy after the Alaska door plug event - focused almost exclusively on Boeing - makes it sound like Boeing aircraft are all falling apart.

BTW, one of those 90 deg A320 nose wheel events was particularly embarrassing because the aircraft knew they had a problem and flew around burning off fuel before they attempted an emergency landing - meanwhile several of the news channels had live coverage of the event with video of the aircraft flying around with the nose gear askew - which the passengers on the TV equiped aircraft were watching real-time
Old 03-30-2024, 08:33 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Flying passengers watching the askew nose gear real-time on TV is a fargin' RIOT !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, AGITATION, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, AGGRAVATION, INSTIGATION, NUISANCE-ACTION, and HAVOC !
Old 03-31-2024, 03:28 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston2021
Suicide Mission
What Boeing did to all the guys who remember how to build a plane
American Prospect
28 Mar 2024

https://prospect.org/infrastructure...mission-boeing/

Excerpt:

...Swampy was mired in an institution that was in a perpetual state of unlearning all the lessons it had absorbed over a 90-year ascent to the pinnacle of global manufacturing. Like most neoliberal institutions, Boeing had come under the spell of a seductive new theory of "knowledge" that essentially reduced the whole concept to a combination of intellectual property, trade secrets, and data, discarding "thought" and "understanding" and "complex reasoning" possessed by a skilled and experienced workforce as essentially not worth the increased health care costs. CEO Jim McNerney, who joined Boeing in 2005, had last helmed 3M, where management as he saw it had "overvalued experience and undervalued leadership" before he purged the veterans into early retirement.

"Prince Jim" as some long-timers used to call him, repeatedly invoked a slur for longtime engineers and skilled machinists in the obligatory vanity "leadership" book he co-wrote. Those who cared too much about the integrity of the planes and not enough about the stock price were "phenomenally talented [plural anal reference]," and he encouraged his deputies to ostracize them into leaving the company. He initially refused to let nearly any of these talented [plural anal reference] work on the 787 Dreamliner, instead outsourcing the vast majority of the development and engineering design of the brand-new, revolutionary wide-body jet to suppliers, many of which lacked engineering departments. The plan would save money while busting unions, a win-win, he promised investors. Instead, McNerney's plan burned some $50 billion in excess of its budget and went three and a half years behind schedule.

I saw where in the design process they wanted to hand the engineering off to the suppliers on 787 and was so very glad I never got involved in that disaster though I certainly could have if I'd wanted to.

Since then....well, enough's been written. I had better not say much more. I am living off of a Boeing pension. I hope it will last as long as I need it to.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-01-2024, 04:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
To be fair, a lot of the incidents with Boeing aircraft that have been reported over the last three months happen on a regular basis - regardless of manufacturer.
Yeah. This Boeing fixation, I think, may be due to what I pointed out previously in this thread. It happens with natural phenomena like bird and fish kills, common events where when two or more happen to occur in close proximity in location or time makes the national news at which point every journalism major starts looking for them and reporting them.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:55 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I think the sensationalistic finger pointing at Boeing is largely misdirected and absurd.
Most of the incidents point toward poor maintenance and have nothing to do with aircraft BRAND.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, AGITATION, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, AGGRAVATION, INSTIGATION, NUISANCE-ACTION, and HAVOC !
Old 04-02-2024, 06:00 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
I think the sensationalistic finger pointing at Boeing is largely misdirected and absurd.
Most of the incidents point toward poor maintenance and have nothing to do with aircraft BRAND.

The media once again being more interested in sensationalism than accuracy.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-02-2024, 08:33 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

Yes. For example with the 737, good journalism would dig into Airbus 300 series issues for comparison and find that the 300 series has had more than its fair share of issues. Unfortunately, mass media today seems to be in the business of destroying anything American.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I saw where in the design process they wanted to hand the engineering off to the suppliers on 787 and was so very glad I never got involved in that disaster though I certainly could have if I'd wanted to.

Since then....well, enough's been written. I had better not say much more. I am living off of a Boeing pension. I hope it will last as long as I need it to.

When they were manning up for the 787, I was trying desperately to get on the program - if for no better reason than it would have me working in Everett (where I live) instead of an hour commute each way (on a good day) to Boeing Field.
When I joined the 747-767 Engine Controls group, there were six of us - but when I became the last man standing (four transfers to 787, one retirement) it was painfully obvious that I wasn't going anywhere.
Turns out that was the best thing that could have happened - instead of being another big fish in a small pond on the 787, I ended up leading the effort on the 747-8. It gave me the chance to really shine, which also resulted in a regrade (with a huge pay raise). I was also popular with the engine "Integrated Product Team" because I came up with ~200 lbs./aircraft in weight savings - pretty much the only person in Propulsion who was saving weight (most doing the opposite ).
I just wish the 747-8 had been a more successful program.
Ditto on the pension - while I still have a good chunk of money in my 401k, I'm living quite comfortably on my Boeing pension.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:34 PM
Craftsman

A rather lengthy article over at the Seattle Times that examines the history of the "downfall" of Boeing. It talks about many of the things that have been discussed here previously. Makes for interesting reading.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...-might-recover/
Old 04-14-2024, 08:13 AM
I do not like Facebook

Good Boeing news for a change...

https://dailydodge.com/two-boeing-b...e-oshkosh-2024/

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...