Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2023, 09:01 PM
rocket dinosaur

I think it's safe to say that Boeing has "screwed the pooch" on this as NASA has also done the same for the whole SLS project.

SpaceX will be on Mars before this gets to the moon. <- sarcasm
Old 06-02-2023, 08:37 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
I think it's safe to say that Boeing has "screwed the pooch" on this as NASA has also done the same for the whole SLS project.

SpaceX will be on Mars before this gets to the moon. <- sarcasm
And all of those being virtually scientifically useless efforts and part of national prestige space race v2.0.

Want to protect mankind from global extinction? Spend more on planetary defense at a tiny fraction of the cost of contaminating Mars with humans and thereby preventing a definitive answer to the most important question in science - is extraterrestrial life common, evolving independently elsewhere or could panspermia be involved?:

Colonizing Mars means contaminating Mars – and never knowing for sure if it had its own native life - November 6, 2018

https://theconversation.com/coloniz...ive-life-103053

"Given that the exploration of Mars has so far been limited to [sterilized] unmanned vehicles, the planet likely remains free from terrestrial contamination. But when Earth sends astronauts to Mars, they’ll travel with life support and energy supply systems, habitats, 3D printers, food and tools. None of these materials can be sterilized in the same ways systems associated with robotic spacecraft can. Human colonists will produce waste, try to grow food and use machines to extract water from the ground and atmosphere. Simply by living on Mars, human colonists will contaminate Mars."

Astrobiology Vol. 17, No. 10
Searching for Life on Mars Before It Is Too Late
1 Oct 2017

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ast.2017.1703

"Planetary Protection policies as we conceive them today will no longer be valid as human arrival will inevitably increase the introduction of terrestrial and organic contaminants and that could jeopardize the identification of indigenous Martian life."
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 06-08-2023, 11:55 AM
Master Modeler

Whither Starliner?
June 5, 2023

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/4597/1

Note the arguments in the comments, examples of:

Are You Solving the Right Problem?

https://hbr.org/2012/09/are-you-sol...e-right-problem

InnoCentive staffer: “Why do you need the lubricant?”
Client’s engineer: “Because we’re now expecting our machinery to do things it was not designed to do, and it needs a particular lubricant to operate.”
InnoCentive staffer: “Why don’t you replace the machinery?”
Client’s engineer: “Because no one makes equipment that exactly fits our needs.”

This raises a deeper question: Does the company need the lubricant, or does it need a new way to make its product?

In this case the fundamental problem to discuss is wasting vast sums on a 1960s, huge cost versus science return, Cro-Magnon method of space exploration - SPAM in a Can - and not which incredibly expensive can to put the SPAM in.
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan