Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Indeed, that's another selling point--as G. Harry Stine pointed out in his "Handbook of Model Rocketry," model rockets are among the few objects encountered in everyday life that demonstrate all three of Newton's Laws of Motion, which is great for physics classes as well as for other STEM courses.If a reservation system is worked out, that problem can be avoided. I've read about model airplane and model rocket flyers doing that in municipalities where the parks' sports fields can be reserved (a book I have on R/C sailplanes shows this being done at a park, where the club members had put up their club's "This Area Reserved for Club Fliers Only" signs). This, and your comment, also inspired an idea:

To address the noise complaints of other park users, the model airplane manufacturers introduced a class of C/L (Control Line) and R/C models with muffler-equipped glow engines, in a new category called "park flyer"; such models are quiet, slower-flying, and unobjectionable to other park visitors (electric-powered model airplanes are park flyers by definition). Likewise:

The model rocket manufacturers could designate those models of theirs that can fly comfortably within typical park boundaries (particularly on quieter, lower-impulse motors) as park flyers; numerous existing model rocket kits have these characteristics. They could also offer new rocket kits that are specifically intended to be flown in such places (such rockets are also good for school programs). The Estes mini launcher (the one with an 18" launch rod and an easily-disassembled, wooden dowel-legged tripod), and the 13 mm & 18 mm motor-powered rockets that can fly from it, can easily be carried to and from parks (or schools) on foot, by bicycle, or on a bus, in a range box or in a large fabric department store shopping bag (the kind made of stiff fabric, with multiple pockets inside it).

Yes, it's a good idea, in theory... getting park officials to actually do the 'legwork' to set aside specific times and areas and mark or "enforce" the rules is something else altogether.

People not "part of the group" generally won't or don't have much if any respect for other users anyway... what do you do with some busybody old lady that shows up to walk her poodle and *demands* her *right* to use *her* park *anytime she wants to* and then goes into hysterics or worse because a rocket launch "scared her little Fluffy all to pieces"?? Same thing with the soccer hooligans that show up on launch day and simply ignore everything and go out to "practice" and end up stomping rockets and land in their vicinity simply *because they can*...

It's a mess...

Heck, the county actually set up a nice model airplane flying field on an unused bit of county land behind the fairgrounds a few years ago-- even built a covered prep/setup area and small runway, keep the grass mowed, etc... even was a storage building for equipment/office type thing during club flying days. As it turned out, the neighbor was a rabid nutjob who "forbid" overflights of his property, claiming "damage" to his cotton crops from folks walking out into the fields to retrieve planes that went down, or whatever... he even shot a couple RC planes down, and later he got ahold of a transmitter and used it to jam/crash an RC jet costing several thousand dollars, for which he was sued (and lost and had to pay for it). It was SUCH a big problem that the county found another scrap of unused land and relocated the RC club to the new field, far away from this a-hole... of course all the facilities are still standing there, unused...

Personally I hope they put a county dump there-- would serve the a-hole right... put the smelliest crap they can find there. LOL

Just goes to show ya... PEOPLE SUCK!!!!

Later! OL JR
Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yes, it's a good idea, in theory... getting park officials to actually do the 'legwork' to set aside specific times and areas and mark or "enforce" the rules is something else altogether.

People not "part of the group" generally won't or don't have much if any respect for other users anyway... what do you do with some busybody old lady that shows up to walk her poodle and *demands* her *right* to use *her* park *anytime she wants to* and then goes into hysterics or worse because a rocket launch "scared her little Fluffy all to pieces"?? Same thing with the soccer hooligans that show up on launch day and simply ignore everything and go out to "practice" and end up stomping rockets and land in their vicinity simply *because they can*...

It's a mess...

Heck, the county actually set up a nice model airplane flying field on an unused bit of county land behind the fairgrounds a few years ago-- even built a covered prep/setup area and small runway, keep the grass mowed, etc... even was a storage building for equipment/office type thing during club flying days. As it turned out, the neighbor was a rabid nutjob who "forbid" overflights of his property, claiming "damage" to his cotton crops from folks walking out into the fields to retrieve planes that went down, or whatever... he even shot a couple RC planes down, and later he got ahold of a transmitter and used it to jam/crash an RC jet costing several thousand dollars, for which he was sued (and lost and had to pay for it). It was SUCH a big problem that the county found another scrap of unused land and relocated the RC club to the new field, far away from this a-hole... of course all the facilities are still standing there, unused...

Personally I hope they put a county dump there-- would serve the a-hole right... put the smelliest crap they can find there. LOL

Later! OL JR

I'd get some 2-4d and spray his cotton after he shot down one of my R/C planes. What a jacka$$.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

It's a mess...

Later! OL JR
Reading that makes me feel like a unicorn who just stepped delicately out of an enchanted forest... I grew up in Miami (which is infamous for its drug crime and violence), yet my park model rocketry experience was a "photographic negative" of yours. For decades, our family flew model rockets at Tamiami Park (the site of the former Old Tamiami Airport [for light aircraft], now mostly occupied by FIU [Florida International University]), and people there whom I know still fly rockets at the park, all without any strife. Also:

The airport runway was preserved for R/C model airplane flyers (with a roofed, open-fronted preparation building situated next to the runway). The grassy areas are used by model rocketeers, C/L airplane flyers, kite flyers, joggers, FIU students (who often like to read and study while sitting in portable chairs or on the ground), "picnic-ers" (there are numerous tables set up near the parking area), soccer players, and folks who just enjoy the open space or watching the models fly. No reservations are needed to fly there, and we never had any problems--in fact, on more than one occasion, other park visitors picked up rockets that landed far from our pad and brought them over to us as we were walking over there, and the folks who fly rockets there today enjoy the same situation. I would like to think that my positive park-flying model rocketry experience wasn't unique...
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 01-29-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd
That is beautiful! As stable as the bug is, I am betting it will fly just fine. I did some math a while back and I think the bug can be staged by simply taping the motors together, without any added airframe for the booster. Not NAR-friendly, but functional.

Now that I have seen it the way you did it... I gotta try it.

Awesome work.
You've just brought up something else in the NAR rules that I think could/should be changed. I think CHAD staging with 13 mm and 18 mm motors is safe, as long as the motors are either sheathed in motor mount tubes (which are painted bright fluorescent colors or wrapped with metallized mylar or foil, for enhanced visibility) or the motors themselves are so painted or wrapped.
Quote:
To the contest aspect. The X-24 is a LOT of fun for a small field. My club tried X-24 drag races. It was REALLY cool to see a couple of these fly at one time, but it was almost impossible to keep track of which model was which since they cross each others paths so much and are so fast on the way down. Still it was a real crowd-pleaser. The nice thing is that they are really easy to build, and if you mess it up so that it won't glide, it will just tumble. Even if it nose-dives, it has so much drag that it returns like a shuttlecock ([art of a provisional NAR event).
The now-cheap video cameras would permit documentation for "instant replays," if needed. :-)
Quote:
I'm actually looking around for some 18mm rubber or foam balls to use as nosecones to make it more shuttlecock-like. I tried styrofoam - too easy to damage and it makes trimming for glide a real pain.
Some of the dime-store and "FOIZ" vending machine rubber balls (they're like mini-Super Balls) might be the right size--*or*, you could cast custom-size silicone rubber or polyurethane rubber hemispherical nose cones using resin molds ("resin casting in reverse"--the master part could be sprayed with a mold release agent so that the resin mold material wouldn't bond to it).
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 01-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I appreciate the encouragement everyone.

Quote:
It's been a long time since I've seen a multi-stage model with a gliding first stage (Centuri's Black Widow),

Blackshire, I have to confess that having the booster glide down wasn't my intention. I expected a graceful tumble but I think I am going to accept the challenge and see if it will glide. Or at least fall in an upright position and land on it's belly.

And thanks for the links, especially the Centuri Tech Report TIR-24.

Quote:
Ironnerd: I'm actually looking around for some 18mm rubber or foam balls to use as nosecones to make it more shuttlecock-like.

Here's an unconventional idea, memory foam. I've never worked with so I don't know how easy it would be to shape, paint, etc. but it is probably dense enough to hold shape during flight. It is about half the density of balsa so you could make it a little bigger. It would accept a lot of force and return to shape. There would need to be a bulkhead to protect it from the hot gasses.

Quote:
did you just put the normal bulkhead in place and cut the shroud off at the front?

Yup. The picture is sort of a mock up, the forward bulkhead is .25 styrofoam board and the rear bulkhead is this corrugated cardboard. Attached are the booster mock up files. The BT needs to be 4.75 inches.

There needs to be a .25 inch hole below where the booster BT connects to the glider BT. I'm a little concerned that the escaping hot gasses and flames will burn the glider shroud before they separate. What are the chances of that happening?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BoosterAftBulkhead.pdf (141.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: pdf X-24B Booster Fins.pdf (89.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf X-24B Booster Body.pdf (150.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidShelleen
I appreciate the encouragement everyone.

Blackshire, I have to confess that having the booster glide down wasn't my intention. I expected a graceful tumble but I think I am going to accept the challenge and see if it will glide. Or at least fall in an upright position and land on it's belly.

And thanks for the links, especially the Centuri Tech Report TIR-24.
You're welcome. TIR-24 also suggests a few possibilities:

A lightweight nose section could be added to your booster (or to a second one, for testing and comparison), to lower its drag and improve its gliding performance. A short, blunt nose "cone" shroud could extend from its forward bulkhead to the front edge of its motor mount tube, giving the booster a biconical profile (with the "bicone" being three-sided with rounded corners, of course). The forward shroud's cardstock could be treated with "waterglass" (a solution of sodium silicate, which is used for flame-proofing the rolled balsa or cardstock tailpipes in Jetex and Rapier model jet planes), to protect it from the flames at staging. Also:

If the booster's full-size fins cause any problems (they might or might not), the reduced-size "semi-finless" X-24 "Bug" fins shown in TIR-24 should work well (the Cuckoo motor-boosted versions of the British Skylark sounding rocket [see: http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/skylark_cuckoo.htm and http://www.spaceuk.org/ ] and Brazil's VSB-30 sounding rocket [see: http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1...lery/VSB-30.jpg ] have first stage fins that are considerably smaller than their second stage fins).
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 01-29-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:51 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
I'd get some 2-4d and spray his cotton after he shot down one of my R/C planes. What a jacka$$.

Getting dragged into court and having to pay $6,000 bucks for a jet he crashed sorta got his attention...

Yeah, surprised there wasn't some "midnight sabotage" involved with a total knob like that...

People suck...

Later! OL JR
Old 01-29-2015, 07:55 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Reading that makes me feel like a unicorn who just stepped delicately out of an enchanted forest... I grew up in Miami (which is infamous for its drug crime and violence), yet my park model rocketry experience was a "photographic negative" of yours. For decades, our family flew model rockets at Tamiami Park (the site of the former Old Tamiami Airport [for light aircraft], now mostly occupied by FIU [Florida International University]), and people there whom I know still fly rockets at the park, all without any strife. Also:

The airport runway was preserved for R/C model airplane flyers (with a roofed, open-fronted preparation building situated next to the runway). The grassy areas are used by model rocketeers, C/L airplane flyers, kite flyers, joggers, FIU students (who often like to read and study while sitting in portable chairs or on the ground), "picnic-ers" (there are numerous tables set up near the parking area), soccer players, and folks who just enjoy the open space or watching the models fly. No reservations are needed to fly there, and we never had any problems--in fact, on more than one occasion, other park visitors picked up rockets that landed far from our pad and brought them over to us as we were walking over there, and the folks who fly rockets there today enjoy the same situation. I would like to think that my positive park-flying model rocketry experience wasn't unique...

Wow... fairy rocket land! LOL

Seriously, proximity to the space coast probably helped, among other things... (university atmosphere).

In most places, cross horns with "Grandma Bitty and her prize poodle" and you've got trouble... or land in anywhere near the soccer hooligans and you'll be rekitted and shovel recovery all in the same flight no matter how softly it landed!

Shine up yer horn there, unicorn! LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 01-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Wow... fairy rocket land! LOL

Seriously, proximity to the space coast probably helped, among other things... (university atmosphere).

In most places, cross horns with "Grandma Bitty and her prize poodle" and you've got trouble... or land in anywhere near the soccer hooligans and you'll be rekitted and shovel recovery all in the same flight no matter how softly it landed!

Shine up yer horn there, unicorn! LOL

Later! OL JR
A sharp, brightly-flickering alicorn definitely helps to maintain the peace... :-) In addition to what you observed (all of which is spot-on), I think another factor is the familiarity of model rockets, airplanes, and kites at Tamiami Park, as they've been flown there since before it became a park. In its latter years, the Old Tamiami Airport (there's a New Tamiami Airport, near the Everglades if memory serves) was very seldom used, and they didn't mind us flying models there (I remember recovering my father's Astron Falcon boost-glider near the control tower, which is now FIU's campus police headquarters). Also:

Dogs are fairly common at the park, but I never saw one freaked out by a model rocket or airplane. I think they were so used to seeing and hearing the models flying (which goes on there a lot) that it just didn't faze them. It's also big enough that folks can play soccer or jog without being too close to the model flying, and vice-versa.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 01-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Fellow Rocket Nerds...

I am going to start another thread for "Field Frustrations ", so we can have the whole field discussion over there. It's totally my fault for bringing up my frustrations in this thread, but I would really like to keep this discussion as "Lifting Body-centric" as possible.

I'll see about moving some posts over to the new thread so we can have the whole discussion there.

Thank-you

John "Ironnerd" Adams