Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Buy the real deal.

U.S. Rockets Mongrel!

It isn't instaship, but on an order and wait basis we can make some.

Just Jerry

Jerry,

That black and white picture of the maiden flight of the Mongrel and the history write up you made for the Mongrel on the kit page is great! I'll bet that five motor cluster of CD and PJ G motors pushing that rocket to nearly a mile back then was "spectacular".

I do remember seeing the picture of Korey loading his Mongrel on the pad in CRm. I think some of Korey's ACE ads were still running in Tripolitan when I joined TRA in 1988 but I could be mistaken. I need to pull some of my old issues and reread them again soon.

Back then was thermalite and flash bulb the preferred method of igniting a cluster like the G motors you used in the Mongrel or was some other method used in that era? Did you try to delay ignition of the PJ motors in that cluster or just light them all at once?

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I think some of Korey's ACE ads were still running in Tripolitan when I joined TRA in 1988 but I could be mistaken.

The best ad was Korey sitting in front of his live motor test "camp fire" warming his hands.

If somebody doesn't have it handy, I'll see if I can dig out an old mag and scan it for those who've never seen it.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Jerry,

That black and white picture of the maiden flight of the Mongrel and the history write up you made for the Mongrel on the kit page is great! I'll bet that five motor cluster of CD and PJ G motors pushing that rocket to nearly a mile back then was "spectacular".

Back then was Thermalite and flash bulb the preferred method of igniting a cluster like the G motors you used in the Mongrel
Back then the very idea of clustering G's was so over the top, by the time it ignited everyone was really looking forward to it, and Korey did more cluster flights than I did and that was hard to accomplish! That photo is truly one of the most spectacular early photos taken by Tom Kolis. Slide film of course.

Usually the igniters were (shrink tube) sheathed (CXA) Thermalite with the end bent over a couple of times as a pyrogen. The motors were mostly case bonded coreburners with mandrel pull cores so had a fuel rich surface and were slow to come to pressure. Liftoffs were always "dramatic" as a result but I don't recall a single misfire or pinwheel flight.

The Ace Allegro 3000 was 7x24mm and I don't recall clearly the original 4x29mm version but there was one.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 01-05-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Blatz
I f "Rockets are stupid". HMMMM, model rocket design compared to the intricacies of rocket motor design.... I agree. I love rockets, and rocket motors, but have to say that rocket motor design is a much more difficult task.

I remember that T shirt - seen in various photos worn by Gary or Melodi .

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The best ad was Korey sitting in front of his live motor test "camp fire" warming his hands.

If somebody doesn't have it handy, I'll see if I can dig out an old mag and scan it for those who've never seen it.

Iirc, that was Tom Blazanin, not Kline in the old test-firing pic.. vulcan motor ? .

If you dig it up , scan it - I liekly have it, if I looked hard enough, lol..

~ historic AL
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
SAM 0371

If anyone wants to clone a classic from ACE, I put together scans n plans for the Mini Allegro 4X18. The file size is too large to accomdate here, but if you PM with your email address, I will be happy to send them to anyone here on YORF.

Jason
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
1.8-1.9" is 54mm casting tube -

~ always curious Al

Correct.

When Scott Pearce was designing the AeroTech Mustang kit, he used available tubing already in-stock at the plant. A nose cone mold was made to fit the `1.8" diameter tubing.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Iirc, that was Tom Blazanin, not Kline in the old test-firing pic.. vulcan motor ? .

If you dig it up , scan it - I liekly have it, if I looked hard enough, lol..

~ historic AL

I'll see if I can find it. I was thinking it was a Plasma Jet ad.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Scott Dixon's Christmas card was priceless.

Jerry
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

I do remember an ad like that in the magazine! Seems the inside last page of the magazine sort of became the joke image page. I threw all my Tripolitan and HPR issues into one of those big plastic storage bins and every couple of years I drag it out and flip through all the issues. I saved all the issues from when I joined so I have Aug 88 Tripolitan until Bruce quit publishing HPR. My buddy has issues from a year or two prior since he joined and brought me into HPR.

It's too bad TRA doesn't have an archive online like Jerry did with his CRm since many of the newcomers to the hobby wouldn't have access to these articles and photos and back issues are non-existent unless you catch them at auction. There's many guys that's been in the hobby a lot longer than me and I for one am interested in the magazines prior to what my buddy and I have personally in our collections. It's a shame it's not documented somewhere online for all to enjoy.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates