Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Craftsman

The 4" Mongrel has been near the top of my "to clone" list for some time. I'd love to get a decent fin pattern if it exists somewhere.

Al: I have a 4" Skyraider; I can send dimensions if you're interested. They are the same shape as the 7.5" version, but I don't know if they are an exact downscale of the big bird. I've always liked the lines of the big bird however, and am thinking of cloning it with some 7.5" parts I have laying around. Those are some big fins....listed as 3/16" ply.

-Eric-
Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
No.

The Aerotech cone is proprietry, Aerotech owned molds - and although a semi-lightweight blow molded cone, is not the Ace molds.

Not sure where, if any, Ace cones may be purchased, will keep my eyes open .

~ AL

( working on my THOR ebuild this AM, has an old Ace cone, now foam filled. )

Nice kits.

I am mistaken, the G-Force no longer uses the Ace nose cone, Aerotech uses their own molds now. Early versions did use the ace cone, as shown in the instructions. (My Brother has an early issue)

as mentioned here:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...ro_gforce.shtml

It appears the Ace nose cones are no longer available.

Luckily I have a few.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
I am mistaken, the G-Force no longer uses the Ace nose cone, Aerotech uses their own molds now. Early versions did use the ace cone, as shown in the instructions. (My Brother has an early issue)

as mentioned here:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...ro_gforce.shtml

It appears the Ace nose cones are no longer available.

Luckily I have a few.

Interesting, I never knew those shipped with Ace cones.

I have a few stashed myself, 2-3 new ones. and a couple used. so can clone a few anyways

~ AL
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECayemberg
The 4" Mongrel has been near the top of my [deleted] list for some time.
-Eric-
Buy the real deal.

U.S. Rockets Mongrel!

It isn't instaship, but on an order and wait basis we can make some.

Just Jerry
Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Interesting, I never knew those shipped with Ace cones.

I have a few stashed myself, 2-3 new ones. and a couple used. so can clone a few anyways

~ AL

Don't feel bad, I didn't realize they no longer did! (Hence my )

They must have switched around the time the Sumo came out. It has always had a different, heavier cone.

I've got about 8 of the Ace cones that I got from Rocket R&D, I used to kit up a 4' V-s that used 2 of them, about 1/15.5 semi scale, It was a real pain to make the tail cones.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
SAM 0371

Re: The AeroTech 4" cone - when I worked there in 2000, the G Force, was already using the AT cone, but I do believe that the early G Force used ACe cones and I know they were used in the roiginal development of the kit.

Back to my lil' ******* child Mini Allegro 3X18, I dug up an HSR catalog from that era and there are several ACE kits listed. The one I bought is the bottom left version with the 1.6" OD. There is also a 3" OD and 4" OD kit listed. Catalog is dated 1/93, I would say I bought the kit that year. This was post-Steve Buck, but Gary Price may have inherited that stuff from him.

Scans of the HSR catalog page listing the ACE kits attached. Full page is low res, half pages are 200dpi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  HSR ACE catalog bottom left 200dpi.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  284.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  HSR ACE catalog bottom right 200dpi.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  327.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  HSR ACE catalog.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  297.1 KB  

Last edited by J Blatz : 01-04-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: To add attachments
Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
SAM 0371

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
Don't feel bad, I didn't realize they no longer did! (Hence my )

They must have switched around the time the Sumo came out. It has always had a different, heavier cone.

I've got about 8 of the Ace cones that I got from Rocket R&D, I used to kit up a 4' V-s that used 2 of them, about 1/15.5 semi scale, It was a real pain to make the tail cones.

The Sumo is not stable with ligher cone. We messed around with several different ways of adding nose weight, but in the end decided that a heavier weight cone was the way to go. Gary was not fond of the idea of some ding-dong neglecting to put weight in the NC and then having the rocket do cartwheels. Thus the heavyweight cone, which is a nice piece for many applications.

Anyhow, after the heavy NC was selected for use we had a couple of prangs during tests, and we traced it to the heavyweight cone swelling in the heat. So the piston was added...

Hye Jerry Irvine, do you know if the original AT 1.9" kits were prototyped using the 1.9" ACE tubing? My "real-deal" Mini-Allegro (4X18) has a 1.9" BT and the AeroTech cone fits nicely.

Jason
Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

AT clearly styled their 4" kits based on the ACE cone and its "derivatives". The 1.8" is a similar story. Korey and Gary were "buds" for quite a while and thus the Mustang/Emanon was 1.8"

The AT 2.5" is an outlier and should be ignored for historical purposes.

It would be just like Gary to design a rocket to be too marginal for the motors and have to do a post-production change to resolve it. After all, Gary's most infamous saying is "Rockets are stupid". Ie. not the main point. He is not kidding when he says that.

Did anyone else notice this thread has massive views per post?

I like the threads I start.

Jerry
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

1.8-1.9" is 54mm casting tube - I'd always assumed that AT/Ace ( at the time AT was shipping for Ace ) , was doing 54mm when 1.8" Ace stuff came out - no 1.8" in the original Ace days, those were later with the California and Lucerne Special, Mini Allegro, etc.

Also, iirc, Kosdon used the Ace / USR 2.25" tubing as casting tube for the 2.5" / 66 mm motors, so a lot of motor sizing plays into tube sizing, just as tube sizing plays into motor diameters ( ala 75mm )

~ always curious Al
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
SAM 0371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
AT clearly styled their 4" kits based on the ACE cone and its "derivatives". The 1.8" is a similar story. Korey and Gary were "buds" for quite a while and thus the Mustang/Emanon was 1.8"

The AT 2.5" is an outlier and should be ignored for historical purposes.

It would be just like Gary to design a rocket to be too marginal for the motors and have to do a post-production change to resolve it. After all, Gary's most infamous saying is "Rockets are stupid". Ie. not the main point. He is not kidding when he says that.

Did anyone else notice this thread has massive views per post?

I like the threads I start.

Jerry

I f you're going to say that AeroTech styled their 4" kits after ACE, then how about LOC, PML, Thoy, Binder, and a dozen others?

As for AeroTech producing a marginally stable rocket, that is not true as far as a production kit goes. The Sumo is stable. There was no post-production scramble, the issues I mentioned were pre-production.

"Rockets are stupid". HMMMM, model rocket design compared to the intricacies of rocket motor design.... I agree. I love rockets, and rocket motors, but have to say that rocket motor design is a much more difficult task.

Not trying to argue with you, and I do appreciate much that you have done, especially your kits. But I do think you are painting a picture of AeroTech/Gary that is over simplistic. Both are longtime forces for advancement of the hobby.

Back on topic to ACE - was there a 3" airframe Allegro as per the HSR catalog?

Jason