Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 10:05 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Bill was a week or two late in locating the MPC motor making machines (There were two machines for making 18mm motors and one for making the 13mm motors) as FSI I gotten there first.

However, there was no documentation with the motor machines. FSI hooked up one of the machines and turned it on. The result was the machine blowing apart as they did not know the correct air pressure settings.

Enter Bill Stine with the machine operating manual (Courtesey of G. Harry). Bill made a deal with FSI where Bill would supply the motor machine manual in exchange for FSI using the MPC machines to make motors for Quest.

Since making motors for Quest did not require the machines running all the time, FSI decided to use the same machines to produce 18mm motors for FSI. I recall speaking to Harold Reese about this and he told me that the machines could turn out enough 18mm motors for FSI that a day's production would last many months.

FSI had tried years earlier to produce 18mm motors but had not been successful. These MPC motor machines gave then the ability to enter the 18mm motor market.

Interestingly, the FSI motors made with the machines used large, chunky pieces of clay/powder for their nozzles while Quest used the fine/white powder to make nozzles for their motors.

Bob

Ok, my question is, I saw 18mm FSI motors for sale at B&B Sales in Snellville, GA in 1989, well before Quest came on the scene. They had the chalky nozzles reminiscent of the MPC motors and early Quest motors. Did FSI have the machine that early?

and is the 13mm machine the one that tore apart?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Ok, my question is, I saw 18mm FSI motors for sale at B&B Sales in Snellville, GA in 1989, well before Quest came on the scene. They had the chalky nozzles reminiscent of the MPC motors and early Quest motors. Did FSI have the machine that early?

At one of the ECRM meets, Doug Pratt pull out his motor box which had all kinds of old motors in it. There were some early FSI 18 mm in it. From the story he told, they tried early on to make 18 mm motor but the all bugled in the middle using the machine they had. I don't know for sure if any of these early 18 mm made it out for sale or not. I have to ask him next time I see him.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:

Bill and G. Harry were looking for the MPC motor making machines while I was working at Enertek (1987-1988).

I have some FSI 18mm motors dated April 1988. I don't know if they were made on the MPC motor making machine(s). The nozzle chalk is white but kinda lumpy in areas, not smooth like the MPC/Quest motors.

I don't know which one of the MPC motor machines was blown apart.

Bob
Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Launching since 1970.

I had a bunch of FSI 18mm motors that they made as a test run (1/2A?-3 can't remember the average thrust, but it might have been 6). They all had the same clay and shape as the 21 mm motors - definitely not the powdery white clay of the MPC or AVI motors and not the rounded shape exit found on MPC and early made-in-USA Quest motors.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

My two Cents!
I ran across this thread just today and I read most of the replays and decided to add my two cents, for what it’s worth. First off I have been into rocketry since the late 1960,s, and have been certified Level Two. So that I can fly high power J and K Motors for about 8 years now, and in no way can a child handle a K motor, You have to be 18 to purchase and use High Power motors, anything above a G motor.

Also about 8 years ago will going to LDRS High Power Launch in Colorado I stooped into the Estes factory and talked to one of there executives about a lot of what was talked about in this thread. I was told they could no longer give tours of their factory because of insurance purposes. Put I did get to see what was in their mane headquarters and what was in development at that time. And at that time I asked way they never brought back some of Estes classic rocket like the Mars Lander. At that time I was told that unless they can show high sale volume, they would not re-release an older rocket, so they are only concerned about high Valium sales not low Valium, higher priced items. Estes is into thousands of customers not a couple hundred like the smaller companies like FlisKits. And for this reason is way Estes dropped their North Coast Rocketry, High and mid power may be a high cost Hobby but its low Valium when it comes to sales.
For example my Loc Minie-Magg is a very popular High power rocket but Loc probably sale less than 200 a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Hobby Town Minie Magg Display.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  43.2 KB  
Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
...so they are only concerned about high Valium...

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
...not low Valium

Isn't that redundant?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
rocket dinosaur

The first use of plastic in model rockets was by G. Harry Stine and MMI. They had a a PVC plastic nose cone for the Aerobee-Hi in Sept. 1958. And didn't they use a plastic engine mount holder too?

terry dean
Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
The first use of plastic in model rockets was by G. Harry Stine and MMI. They had a a PVC plastic nose cone for the Aerobee-Hi in Sept. 1958. And didn't they use a plastic engine mount holder too?

terry dean

i had heard it was actually metal. light, ductile metal similar to that used to package individual cigars.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
i had heard it was actually metal. light, ductile metal similar to that used to package individual cigars.

Roy, i'm pretty sure you are correct; bnut I thought I had read within the pages of the forum that at soem point they either used a plastic or wood motor mount. I may be mistaken

terry dean
Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

I think all the Arcons had a small styrene engine mount that served as a thrust ring and engine holder. I do not think it was used on the early Aerobee-Hi kits, but it could have been used on later ones since it was the same size body tube. The aluminum and manila combination was a brilliant design.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com