Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2021, 01:25 PM
Craftsman

What happened to the warp nacelles?

I saw that documentary about the first launch with the warp nacelles where James Cromwell depicted Zefram Cochrane . I think Bezos missed a step.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:04 PM
Master Modeler

I think they should have launched James Cromwell instead!
Old 10-13-2021, 08:17 PM
Dazed and Confused

I think what bothers me most is them being called Astronauts. I'm not a pilot if I take a trip on a 737 or a chauffeur if I ride in a limo.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:33 PM
I do not like Facebook

When will someone like Warren Buffet buy a ride and take the "oldest" crown away? Wally Funk did not get to keep it for very long.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 10-14-2021, 03:11 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Yep, it appears there was no sacrificial red-shirt "Ensign Smith" aboard.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-14-2021, 08:27 PM
I do not like Facebook

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 10-15-2021, 10:10 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill

Very jealous. Both have gone where few men have gone before...I like Shat's choice a lot better.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:34 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I’m sure there’s a statistic for this, but will he be the first Canadian in space?

No... Canadians flew on the shuttle... John Pierre somethingorother LOL I quit memorizing astronauts after Apollo... there's a handful I know their names and some stuff about them, like Storey Musgrave, but most were kinda forgettable LOL

Later! OL J R
Old 10-16-2021, 09:01 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I’m pretty much lukewarm on Blue Origin, but happy William Shatner finally got to space. Pretty cool!

Yeah, for sure... I liked Bezos when he started out... fishing the Apollo 11 F-1's off the ocean floor and having them restored and displayed at the Kansas Cosmosphere, for instance... but he's become SUCH a knob since then...

His LOUSY design for a lunar lander didn't get picked, so he's sued every which way to keep SpaceX (who DID win the competition) from getting anywhere. He's got his fat gubmint contract to build BE-4 methane/LOX engines for the next iteration of Vulcan or whatever, but what ELSE has he done...

Oh, that's right... he rides to space with the other rich fatcats in his little toy dong rocket which zips up on suborbital hops... MEANWHILE, SpaceX has built a reusable orbital launch vehicle, a heavy 3 core version of it, an upper stage for it to put payloads into orbit, an orbital resupply capsule capable of bringing payload TO and FROM ISS, which is ALSO reusable, AND modifying that design into a CREW capsule that has flown NUMEROUS crews both to ISS AND civilians into space for a FOUR DAY Earth orbital mission that was the highest humans have flown away from Earth since Apollo in the 70's...

SO I'm not exactly jumping for joy over his little toy dong rocket... Nor Branson's rocket glider that first flew, what, over 15 years ago, and it's taken them THIS LONG to get an operational version going??

Bout like BOING (Boeing) and their Edsel, err, I mean "Starliner" which STILL hasn't flown... when the head astronaut and then his REPLACEMENT (IIRC) *BOTH* beg off flying the thing for "whatever reason" and quit the flight program, that should tell EVERYBODY something! Look at poor Gus Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chaffee... Now some might say Chaffee, being a newb FNG, didn't *really* know what he was getting himself into, maybe even White, despite being the first spacewalker and probably one of the real front-runners of the second class of astronauts, so I kinda find that hard to believe... but even if it were true, GUS GRISSOM, who'd been there from the beginning and basically designed Gemini, knew EXACTLY what Apollo 1 and the Apollo Mark I was... why he hung a LEMON on the simulator after a particularly bad run in a string of bad runs... Why there's also a famous "crew portrait" gag picture that they took after shooting the "official" crew pics sitting around a table holding a model of the spacecraft-- The gag picture they put the model in the center of the table and all three folded their hands in prayer and bowed their heads, as if PRAYING over the model of the Apollo 1. They gave this "gag portrait" to Harrison "Stormy" Storms, head of North American Aviation, which was the contractor building the Apollo 1. The photo was prophetic...

Shame that NASA doesn't just pull the plug on Starliner, cut off the money to BOING, and give it to Sierra Nevada to finish their DREAMCHASER, which SHOULD have won the contract TO BEGIN WITH (along with SpaceX). BOING basically "cheated" because they used all the technical data and experience they had from a previous contract NASA had paid them for, to build an experimental "composite structure" pressure vessel for the Orion capsule, when they were tinkering with the idea whether to use good "old fashioned" metal construction, or new "composite construction" for the pressure vessel of the capsule and primary structure. BOING built them a couple copies for testbeds of the composite pressure vessel, which NASA paid them for after of course giving them all the data they could possibly need in order to build an Orion pressure vessel, paid them, tested them, decided "nope we'll go with metallic" and they're probably rotting in a warehouse somewhere for the next 50 years... BOING basically had a HUGE head-start on SpaceX and SNC, because they had all this NASA design data for Orion... they just downsized it to something more realistic (remember NASA had "upsized" Orion to make it TOO BIG AND HEAVY to launch on the EELV's, to *force* the development of a "shuttle derived solution" to launch Orion-- after all, if it was too heavy for Delta IV or Atlas V, well, they'd have NO CHOICE *BUT* to develop a new launcher, and *of course* the shuttle and its components would be the starting point for any new design... like say ARES I... then in a suitable turn of fate, Orion was TOO HEAVY for the anemic Ares I to be able to launch it ANYWAY... which is why it was cancelled after 6-8 years and over $9 billion dollars WASTED on it as a dead-end design... and why we got "SLS" to replace it...

SO after ALL THAT, even with those advantages, just basically getting handed billions to clone a mini-Orion, they STILL can't get the d@mn thing flying... can't write software for their avionics, and evidently cannot construct or procure propellant valves that can operate in a hot, salty, humid environment, like oh, say, FLORIDA... LOL

BOING is a joke anymore...

Later! OL J R
Old 10-16-2021, 09:03 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I think what bothers me most is them being called Astronauts. I'm not a pilot if I take a trip on a 737 or a chauffeur if I ride in a limo.

Yeah after Branson and Bezos 3-ring circus a couple months back to get theirs, the FAA is basically "clipping their wings" of these "so called astronauts" by redefining what the term actually means... at least so I read in an article on my phone...

Later! OL J R