Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Master Modeler

Default Semroc V-2 xkit

There was some discussion on the Vendor board about the Semroc Xkits, and I derailed it a little with my V-2 build. I had a few questions about scale vs. semi scale fins, nose weight, engine placement. I took a few liberties during the build, which have already been discussed previously, but I finally finished it. Believe it or not, this is the first V-2 I have ever built and I am very pleased with the Semroc kit, and the final result. I have been using Tamiya tape for the most part on complex masking jobs, but decided to give Frog tape another shot. Very disappointed in the results. The stuff bleed all over the place and I've had it pull up paint in the past. I won't be using it anymore. Had to make several touch ups with a paint pen, but here it is....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  V2 painted.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  70.0 KB  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
There was some discussion on the Vendor board about the Semroc Xkits, and I derailed it a little with my V-2 build. I had a few questions about scale vs. semi scale fins, nose weight, engine placement. I took a few liberties during the build, which have already been discussed previously, but I finally finished it. Believe it or not, this is the first V-2 I have ever built and I am very pleased with the Semroc kit, and the final result. I have been using Tamiya tape for the most part on complex masking jobs, but decided to give Frog tape another shot. Very disappointed in the results. The stuff bleed all over the place and I've had it pull up paint in the past. I won't be using it anymore. Had to make several touch ups with a paint pen, but here it is....

It looks fine, pretty good actually. Just go out and fly it a few times and with the dents and dings it'll get, those will help to hide any imperfections in the paint.

Ya, that Tamiya tape is the way to go. Nothing else works like it does. Kind of expensive, but besides the nice lines it doesn't lift up the base coat either.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
It looks fine, pretty good actually. Just go out and fly it a few times and with the dents and dings it'll get, those will help to hide any imperfections in the paint.

Ya, that Tamiya tape is the way to go. Nothing else works like it does. Kind of expensive, but besides the nice lines it doesn't lift up the base coat either.

Yeah, plus a few dings and dents earns me a few extra scale points on this one. I've seen this round in person at the Smithsonian and it's beat up pretty bad.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Craftsman

Now I know where the term "rocket garden" comes from. Is that an annual or a perenneal?

Nice V2 Foose. Does it have a large "laundry room"? I have 2 versions (13 and 24mm) of ASP V2s and there is hardly enough space for parachute and wadding in either.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana
Now I know where the term "rocket garden" comes from. Is that an annual or a perenneal?

Nice V2 Foose. Does it have a large "laundry room"? I have 2 versions (13 and 24mm) of ASP V2s and there is hardly enough space for parachute and wadding in either.

There seems to be enough room sans wadding or DB. I don't think it'll be a problem once it's fully loaded, but we'll see.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Master Modeler

Heck, your's looks a lot better than mine!

You should have no issues in packing the parachute in the BT-55 body tube, in fact, there's
really plenty of room in that short piece body tube. Just do some practice in folding the
parachute at home (use talcum powder) and you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Master Modeler

I almost went with the camo scheme as seen at the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio, but I think I'll wait and do this for my Canadian arrow conversion.

...opted for the black and white since it fit more with the package art and more reference photos were available.

Here's a couple more views showing the various roll patterns.....in the rocket garden
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  V2 side 1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  77.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  V2 side 2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  80.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  V2 side 3.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  63.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  V2 side 4.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  70.3 KB  
Old 08-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Hooked Badly

Awesome. I wish my Iris paint job turned out as good.

Weird about the Frog tape tho, I dig the stuff.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana

There's plenty of room in the Semroc V-2 for the 12" plastic parachute and wadding. I've flown mine once (at NARAM-50!) and there was no problem with the 'chute.

I have a 24 mm ASP V-2, too, but I haven't flown it yet. It's been built for many months, but hasn't flown yet.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
There's plenty of room in the Semroc V-2 for the 12" plastic parachute and wadding. I've flown mine once (at NARAM-50!) and there was no problem with the 'chute.

I have a 24 mm ASP V-2, too, but I haven't flown it yet. It's been built for many months, but hasn't flown yet.

Bring your 24 mm ASP V-2 down to Needville and fly it! You'll need plenty of recovery
space.....