Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark+3
Are "core burning" and "port burning" the same thing?
Yes, in model rocket jargon.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Since the bulk of our current kits are designed around the A8, B6, and C6, it is not an option to skip them. It is probably true that very few hobby stores will carry specialty engines that Estes or Quest do not offer, with the possible exception of low impulse boosters. We are targeting the online market with the "non-standards" hoping that as they become more mainstream, the more sophisticated hobby stores will add them.
Our list is more for planning than anything else. We will be freezing the list in a few weeks. It does not mean we will do all of them, but we won't have the paperwork to do any additional ones in the near future.

I'm getting in a little late and really haven't talked a lot with others, but here are my opinions:

I personally would like to see the Semroc motors provide a greater opportunity to fliers. It never made sense to me that Quest repeated the same motors that Estes offered. I seldom buy Quest motors for that reason.

I love the idea of having variable delays that can be attached, 2-9 seconds works great. If that isn't possible, then I can modify my list, below, to add the requested delays:

Specific impulses I'd like to see in 10mm are A5, A8
Specific impulses I'd like to see in 13mm are B3 , B5, B8
Specific impulses I'd like to see in 18mm are B14, C3, C8, D12

I don't know if any of those are feasible, just what I'd like. If the impulse for the specified 10mm and 13mm doesn't work in the smaller size tube, then the next largest tube is fine. If I want to use a smaller motor in a lager tube, I can make an adapter. No need to provide that with the motor.

Thanks for the opportunity to input!
James
Old 01-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I strongly agree with James, above. I too, rarely buy Quest motors (other than MicroMaxx), for the exact reasons listed. I find many of the proposed motors and sizes listed earlier in this thread exciting ... but at least from my point of view, we don't need yaec (yet another Estes clone).

If you can get me motors that fit gaps ... either in size or in power ... then I am very interested.

Personally, I would buy 10 and 15 mm motors and simply convert existing kits or design my own to use them. That said, the more standard sizes would be preferable. I have a couple of 18mm kits converted to 13 mm, just to take advantage of that pesky A10-3 motor.

~ Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_james

Specific impulses I'd like to see in 10mm are A5, A8
Specific impulses I'd like to see in 13mm are B3 , B5, B8
Specific impulses I'd like to see in 18mm are B14, C3, C8, D12

James

I am equally enthusiastic about the above impulse availability. Especially in 18mm. B14-0 is a definite wish. C-5 is noticeable absent, but one sorely missed.

I wish I did not have to go to 24mm mounts just to get the performance I need from my heavier current and future clones, and without wondering if she'll come home! In particular, Skylab, Orion, Redstone, USS America, Deep Space Transport. We need a Super C again. Would that be a reasonable request?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas
I am equally enthusiastic about the above impulse availability. Especially in 18mm. B14-0 is a definite wish. C-5 is noticeable absent, but one sorely missed.

I wish I did not have to go to 24mm mounts just to get the performance I need from my heavier current and future clones, and without wondering if she'll come home! In particular, Skylab, Orion, Redstone, USS America, Deep Space Transport. We need a Super C again. Would that be a reasonable request?

Yep, I really do miss those B14's. If we had to choose one motor in the 18mm line, that's what I would choose. I went with the C3 instead of C5, for differentiation. The C5 is nice, but still pretty close to the C6 - not the same, but close. I went with the C8 and D12 in 18mm for the rockets you noted, plus a few others.
James
Old 01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprague
...we don't need yaec (yet another Estes clone).

If you can get me motors that fit gaps ... either in size or in power ... then I am very interested.

Personally, I would buy 10 and 15 mm motors and simply convert existing kits or design my own to use them. That said, the more standard sizes would be preferable. I have a couple of 18mm kits converted to 13 mm, just to take advantage of that pesky A10-3 motor.

~ Mike

My thoughts, exactly! Motor variability is the biggest link that's missing, IMHO. Motor availability for the high power guys is pretty good, but Estes and Quest left low-power fliers with few options. Maybe folks weren't buying them, I don't know. Possibly, with the increased interest in high power, low power availability waned. Then, as if to pour salt in the wound, even if you bought a bunch of the old motors, the NAR would just come in and decertify them.
James
Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to CQBArms Send a message via MSN to CQBArms Send a message via Yahoo to CQBArms

I would really like to see a wider variety of delays. Or BP "component" motors. D12 with a delay cap and change that can be had in any number of delays. Sort of stack the charge on the motor as needed.
Also a real solid E motor in BP. Not that E9 stuff.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Count me in on the bandwagon of 10.5mm fans and some 13mm. I'd really like to see more variety in that area.

18mm seems light a tight/competitive area to be avoided, unless you want to go with longer burn motors, though that's probably not going to have a wide appeal.

In my opinion, the 24mm is pretty open, mainly because Estes has CATO and violent ejection charge issues. I'd love to see a full E, or a slow-burn F that I could use to power gliders. Again, might not be much of a market there, but motor choices for gliders are pretty thin/hard to get.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:44 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
..Are there enough buyers to justify a BNC-10A nose cone? No, but there are enough buyers for a wide selection of parts as long as each one does not require capital investment and large inventories. We look at engines the same way.

Carl,

Are you saying you will make motors of specific impulses as orders come in?

As for specific impulses, the two of most interest to me so far are the B14s and C3s.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Are you saying you will make motors of specific impulses as orders come in?

I meant it more in the sense that when we have the press and dies for 18mm engines, doing the broad spectrum that share the tooling will allow us to do many of the possibilities insteat of limiting it to just the 5-10 "popular" types. We don't have the problems with having too many SKU's that plague the big companies.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com