Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2021, 09:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
When I was 8 years old and living in Stockbridge, Ga. (a suburb of Atlanta) my dad took me to a Braves game at the old Fulton Cty Stadium. This would have been 1968. Phil Niekro was the pitcher— who also passed away very recently. They were playing the Astros and it was replica batting helmet day. I saw Hank Aaron hit a blast to left center field, one of his 755. Unfortunately, the Braves lost 3 to 2 that day. I still have the helmet in my shop.

Fast forward to the early 1980s, I had graduated college and moved to Atlanta. I attended my first Braves game since 1968. Phil Niekro was the starting pitcher (man he pitched a long time) and Hank Aaron threw out the first ball. I didn’t really think about the amazing coincidence of that until some years later. But it’s a great memory.

Thanks for all of them Mr. Aaron. In my eyes, you are the greatest! Rest In Peace.

Wow, what a great story! Thanks for sharing that with us.

And I see we were almost neighbors all those years ago. I was born in Atlanta (1962 vintage, at Georgia Baptist Hospital in downtown) and about a month later we moved to a brand new house built in a new neighborhood near Morrow (though we had a ‘Forrest Park’ address), right adjacent to I-75. Years later after we had moved to Augusta, a mall, Southlake Mall, was built not very far at all from the neighborhood we lived in then. Gosh, that entire area where that mall went up was nothing but tall grass and scrub pines when we lived in that area!

Anyway, we moved from the Atlanta area in the summer of 1970, but I have vivid memories as a VERY young kid of seeing Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium being built in the mid-1960s there just south of the city (my Dad worked at Georgia Tech and we quite often it seemed went into downtown Atlanta and right past the stadium there on I-75).

Sadly however, during those years in Atlanta after the Braves (and Falcons) arrived, we never went to a game there. I so wish we would have been able to attend a game then. Could have had some great memories like you had. But, we followed the Braves nonetheless and were very happy those years later in ‘74 when Hank hit #715.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970