Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Can anyone ID this sad rocket?

Here's a sad sight that greeted me on my way to work this morning. It's next to a medium sized field that is surrounded by power lines and rocket eating trees. The poor little guy didn't have a chance....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3062.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  43.3 KB  
Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Based on the fins, the color (assuming paint job matched header card) and see-thru portion of the 'chute, my guess is that it's a Sunward Liberator.

http://www.sunward1.com/liberator.htm

Later,
EV
Old 09-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Holy Smokes, EchoVictor, you're good!

Yes, that is the exact model. I had a good look at it (better than my crummy picture anyway

It looks like it is finished pretty nicely too. I'm going to have to try and find out whose it is, since I thought I was the only crazy rocket guy around these parts. If someone is mail ordering kits like this, and finishing them that well, I want to meet them!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Holy Smokes, EchoVictor, you're good!

Yes, that is the exact model. I had a good look at it (better than my crummy picture anyway

It looks like it is finished pretty nicely too. I'm going to have to try and find out whose it is, since I thought I was the only crazy rocket guy around these parts. If someone is mail ordering kits like this, and finishing them that well, I want to meet them!

Contact the utility. They might be more than willing to ride a bucket up there and get it for you, especially if they are in the area, and you get them a Coke or something.
When I got my NCR Bomarc stuck in a pine tree at Ft. Jackson, the fire department on the Fort got it down for me for nothing. The Chief said he used it as a 'training exercise.'
You could hang a few 'Found' posters around the area to give the original maker a chance to reclaim it, and then you'd get a chance to meet him/her!
Allen
Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Contact the utility. They might be more than willing to ride a bucket up there and get it for you, especially if they are in the area, and you get them a Coke or something.

Contact the power company in any case. A rocket hanging from a utility line may be a temptation for some kid who might get hurt (or worse) trying to retrieve it.

-- Roger
Old 09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Master Modeler

Go get a sling shot. Get some small stones and try to shoot the stones into the chute to pull the rocket back up off the line and free it. Then, post a sign with a picture of the rocket on the telephone poles near this location. If the owner calls, give him/her back the rocket and you may find you have a new rocket launching buddy in your area.

Oh yeah. Don't shoot the stones straight up and let them come back down and hit you in the eye. You might try to find someone with a van or at least a pickup truck so you can get a bit closer to the rocket and have better success at hitting that chute.

No matter what you do, please keep us advised.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
Go get a sling shot. Get some small stones and try to shoot the stones into the chute to pull the rocket back up off the line and free it. Then, post a sign with a picture of the rocket on the telephone poles near this location. If the owner calls, give him/her back the rocket and you may find you have a new rocket launching buddy in your area.

Oh yeah. Don't shoot the stones straight up and let them come back down and hit you in the eye. You might try to find someone with a van or at least a pickup truck so you can get a bit closer to the rocket and have better success at hitting that chute.

No matter what you do, please keep us advised.

As long as there is no moisture, couldn't one use a PVC pipe setup to retrieve it? I have no idea how high it is, though. Probably not the safest idea in the world; nevermind!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
As long as there is no moisture, couldn't one use a PVC pipe setup to retrieve it? I have no idea how high it is, though. Probably not the safest idea in the world; nevermind!

DON"T!!!

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:

OMG! NO!!!

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT UT!

This hobby has had an outstanding safety record.

There have (I think) only been one or two fatalities and they were from somebody trying to get a model off of a power line!

The slingshot meathod does work!

It may take a few dozen shot but ammo (rocks) are cheap!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
"Never mind"! is the right call!

I see in the pic that it's on high voltage lines. Those are not the relatively benign 110/220 lines that go to your house. Instead, it's more like 10,000V! At high potentials, things that are ordinarily insulators can act as conductors, and it only takes milliamps to stop a heart. Futhermore, many items that seem like non-conductors are in fact quite good conductors. The best example I can think of is carbon rods. Outwardly, they look and feel like plastic. But that's hardly the case when it comes to their conductivity.

So one should never try anything that puts him in contact with the wire.

The slingshot is a much, much better idea.

Doug

YORF member #11