Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Question rocket messup

ok, i launched a rocket that i have been working on for a while yesterday, and it messed up.
When i launched it, it arced over my head and crashed into the bushes. i have it back but i'm wondering what went wrong. the parachute melted and got torn off as well. i used the right kind of rocket motor, and recovery wadding. what happened?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  bodymissingparachute.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  33.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  damagednose.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  37.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  damagedparachute.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  59.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  damagedparachute2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  62.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  damagedparachute3.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  61.0 KB  

Last edited by pirateer : 08-29-2005 at 07:03 PM. Reason: no pics
Old 08-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

It could be a lot of thangs what rocket was it.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Its called an M2Q2 Lifting Body:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  cover1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  37.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  cover2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  37.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  cover3.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  29.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  cover4.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  46.1 KB  
Old 08-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateer
ok, i launched a rocket that i have been working on for a while yesterday, and it messed up.
When i launched it, it arced over my head and crashed into the bushes. i have it back but i'm wondering what went wrong. the parachute melted and got torn off as well. i used the right kind of rocket motor, and recovery wadding. what happened?

What kind of arch? Did it go straight up and arch over or did it do a loop or two before crashing? Did the parachute eject on the ground or before it crashed? What engine did you use? Manufacturer?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

I have this Quest rocket as will but never built it. If I had to gees I would say the center of gravity is off, add a little clay to the nose cone and it might fly straight
Old 08-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Junior Rocketeer

the arch was like a half circle pretty much and the parachute ejected like a millisecond before it hit the ground. i heard a big whoomph when the parachute ejected. the motor type is a B6-4 and i dont know the manufacturer. i got the rocket and motor from a place called baker's hobbies and supplies but i think its just local.

Last edited by pirateer : 08-30-2005 at 09:56 AM. Reason: wrong motor
Old 08-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
the arch was like a half circle pretty much and the parachute ejected like a millisecond before it hit the ground. i heard a big whoomph when the parachute ejected. the motor type is a B-64 and i dont know the manufacturer. i got the rocket and motor from a place called baker's hobbies and supplies but i think its just local.

Well, it sounds like it had a stable flight but didn't get very high to ensure a safe ejection. The labeled weight and motor used should have produced some good altitude. Soooooo, I would start looking at things that could have affected altitude. Check your launch lug and make sure it's straight and the inside is free of excessive paint. Both of these could cause the rocket to hang on the launch rod. Also, check the launch rod and make sure the rocket will slide easily on it. You might need to rub it down with steel wool, sand paper, etc. to remove rust (assuming a steel rod), tape residue or exhaust residue. If these are all okay, the only thing I can think of is that the motor was bad (some one else can add their two cents if I missed something here).

As for the parachute getting scorched and torn......for scorching, make sure you use enough wadding. Usually three or four loosely crumpled squares inside before the parachute. This is a short rocket so you aren't going to have much room. I'd use a dowel or pencil to push each piece down in the tube as far as it will go without forcing them in. Torn chute.....normally caused because the rocket is going fast when the ejection charge occurs (which is what it sounds like in your case). Some things to help minimize chute shredding is to use a longer shock cord (manufactured kits are notorious for using shock cords that are too short). Also, use care when folding and inserting the chute into the rocket. I like to spike my chute, then fold the shround lines onto the lower third of the chute, then roll the chute sides over the shroud line, then fold the chute (starting with the tip) into thirds (gee this is kinda hard to explain), then wrapping the shock cord around the folded parachute and insert into body tube. I know there's gotta be a picture of this out there somewhere.....

Anyway, let me know how you make out and I'll see if I can find a web page that explains the chute folding better. Good luck.

Don
Old 08-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Junior Rocketeer

thanks dude!! i'll try that out. i think i understand what you mean by folding the parachute but i have another question: in all of the kits that i've had, it says that baby powder or talcum helps to make the parachute come out easier is this true?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:40 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
thanks dude!! i'll try that out. i think i understand what you mean by folding the parachute but i have another question: in all of the kits that i've had, it says that baby powder or talcum helps to make the parachute come out easier is this true?

Yes, it works well, especially in the cold or damp.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 08-30-2005, 07:13 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:

The powder actually helps keep the plastic from sticking to its self. If you can find it, a corn starch powder works best. A light dusting of the parachute is all you need. I do both sides. My chutes have snap swivels so I can swap them between rockets or change the size for a particular rocket depending upon the launch conditions. I store the unused parachute in a zip-lock bag with powder in it. When I'm ready for the chute, just shake the bag a little and take the chute out.

Don
NAR 53455