Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Default Estes Quasar

The Estes Quasar kit started out as one of the 'Citation' series of models Estes released in the early 1970s in an effort to get their product into mass-market chains (It wouldn't be until 25 years later that it would be successful with Wal-Mart).

At least three versions of the Quasar were released. The original, Citation series version with chrome plated fin unit (Alpha III unit with clipped/squared off fins) and nose cone sold in a full color box.

Later there were two bagged versions sold with unclipped fins with either grey or white plastic parts.

As I built and flew the Citation version of the Quasar back in the 1970s (and I still have it ) I thought I would clone the white plastic version.

Using a current Estes Alpha III kit, a correct length body tube (BT-50H) from Semroc and a chrome & white body wrap-around decal from Excelsior rocketry, I was able to create a Quasar.

I primed and painted the fin unit and nose cone with NEW Krylon Primer and Gloss White as a test. It worked out well in this case.

A fairly quick build that looks good.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Quasar (White).jpg
Views: 111
Size:  26.2 KB  
Old 01-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Master Modeler

That looks great! What a flood of memories that model brings! My very first rocket.

I had one of the original chrome fin and nose cone versions. 1st flight on an A in a retail store parking lot on a Sunday (when stores used to be closed) went great. My dad repacked it and launched it on a C. It was gone! Ww lost it and never reacquired it again in flight.

We packed up our launcher (that had been connected to my dad's car's battery) and the rest of our gear, and headed home. On the far end of the parking lot, my dad saw something shiny and drove over to it. He must have packed the chute too tightly and it never deployed. I had my first wrecked rocket. The cone was busted into pieces and the top of the tube was crumpled. We soon got an Alpha kit and that became my 2nd rocket ever. The rest is history.

I remember getting upset when my friend Charles from across the street got a Quasar a little while afterward. We were both convinced Estes ripped him off because they accidentally left the chrome off the fins and nose cone. It never even dawned on us that they might have changed the model.

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

That clone turned out real nice!

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
That clone turned out real nice!

Thank you, Leo.

Bob
Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Bob,

Looking good -

I have had this on my 'order from Gordy' list for ages now.. need to get the wrap and do one up .

one question - any tips or problems with painting the fin unti, as far as prep or paint adhesion,etc ? what did you use for primer/ paint ?

I have a crashed Alpha 3 , with the orange fins, cone is gone ( seperated ), but can use a Semroc balsa version BNC-50KP, or else the surefire cones I have are quite close to the PNC-50 used on the Alpha 3.

~ AL

still tinkerin away
Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Bob,

Looking good -

I have had this on my 'order from Gordy' list for ages now.. need to get the wrap and do one up .

one question - any tips or problems with painting the fin unti, as far as prep or paint adhesion,etc ? what did you use for primer/ paint ?

I have a crashed Alpha 3 , with the orange fins, cone is gone ( seperated ), but can use a Semroc balsa version BNC-50KP, or else the surefire cones I have are quite close to the PNC-50 used on the Alpha 3.

~ AL

still tinkerin away

I lightly sanded the Alpha III nose cone and fin unit with 400 grit sandpaper.

I used the NEW (That's right) Krylon gray primer and gloss white to paint the plastic parts. It worked pretty well.

Per a tip from Rokitflite, I used Future floor polish on the fin unit and nose cone after painting. It makes the white color really stand out.

Bob
Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The white cone/white fin unit Quasar was the first rocket I ever had way back in 1977.
My father and I picked one of those up along with a Citation Patriot, Porta Pad, Astron Launch controller, and 4 packs of engines on a Saturday morning at a Toys-R-Us. The Quasar flew the same day and we built most of the Patriot on the Sunday after. The completely finished Patriot flew the next weekend.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !