Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default Astron Sprint

Since I was printing up decals for the EAC Viper and the Akela-1, I decided to fill the decal page with some other projects. One such project was to repair an original Astron Sprint that took damage at a school demo launch. It broke two fins off when it landed on the roof of the school. Normally, I just glue the fins right back on and display the battle damage proudly. This time, one of the two broken fins was lost some how.

Yesterday, I cut a new fin and shaped it to match the other fin that had popped off. I put the old fin and the new one back on the Sprint and proceeded to fill and sand...I hate sanding. Since I had to paint the replacement fin, I decided to fill the dings from years of flights and repaint the whole rocket. I took care of that today, and tonight applied the Astron Sprint decals that I printed. I would have just painted the one new fin, but the old decals were damaged pretty bad so I didn't see much point in trying to keep it original.

Here is the results:

Old 07-03-2006, 10:33 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Since I was printing up decals for the EAC Viper and the Akela-1, I decided to fill the decal page with some other projects. One such project was to repair an original Astron Sprint that took damage at a school demo launch. It broke two fins off when it landed on the roof of the school. Normally, I just glue the fins right back on and display the battle damage proudly. This time, one of the two broken fins was lost some how.

Yesterday, I cut a new fin and shaped it to match the other fin that had popped off. I put the old fin and the new one back on the Sprint and proceeded to fill and sand...I hate sanding. Since I had to paint the replacement fin, I decided to fill the dings from years of flights and repaint the whole rocket. I took care of that today, and tonight applied the Astron Sprint decals that I printed. I would have just painted the one new fin, but the old decals were damaged pretty bad so I didn't see much point in trying to keep it original.

Here is the results:

I can't see a thing.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 07-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

It's showing here. Try refreshing your screen.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Master Modeler

Default Where?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It's showing here. Try refreshing your screen.

I've looked hard, and can't see a thing other than a real beauty!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:09 AM
BP Mafia

Nope. i think it must be the photo hosting site clashing with my firewall here at work. I'll look when I get home in the morning.

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 07-04-2006, 06:56 AM
BP Mafia

Nice. I had one of these that I lost at VOA also. Tried a C6-7 flight. Followed it up into the clear blue and never saw it again. One of these days I'm going to have to make a list of all the rockets I've lost at VOA. The only one I got back was my big Groove Tube, which I fixed, then lost again. At this point, all that would remain is the nose cone, but I'd still like to have that even. Nope. Never. Nothin'.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Nice. I had one of these that I lost at VOA also. Tried a C6-7 flight. Followed it up into the clear blue and never saw it again. One of these days I'm going to have to make a list of all the rockets I've lost at VOA. The only one I got back was my big Groove Tube, which I fixed, then lost again. At this point, all that would remain is the nose cone, but I'd still like to have that even. Nope. Never. Nothin'.

You're either going to have to find some place other than the rocket eating VOA, or learn to choose smaller motors!

As for tracking the Sprint on a C6-7, it helps to use tracking chalk and the widest and longest crepe streamer you can pack into the body tube.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Bill,

My 13mm (BT-20) version is somewhere in the weeds at VOA.

Probably mating with yours. So if you see a bunch more of them in a few months

BTW, nice one tbzep

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 07-05-2006, 11:06 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

Beautiful bird and a *FANTASTIC* repair job there! man!

I loved my Astron Sprint, but gave her a good home. I was fortunate enough to have Gleda and Vern Estes launch mine on her 499th and 500th flight last year at NARAM and then gave it to them as a keepsake.

Good sturdy bird that *always* performs! One of my favorite kits ever!

jim

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/
Old 07-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflis
Beautiful bird and a *FANTASTIC* repair job there! man!

I loved my Astron Sprint, but gave her a good home. I was fortunate enough to have Gleda and Vern Estes launch mine on her 499th and 500th flight last year at NARAM and then gave it to them as a keepsake.

Good sturdy bird that *always* performs! One of my favorite kits ever!

jim

You must have a really nice place to fly if you were able to launch it 500 times without getting it lost, stuck in a tree, or hauled off by kids before you could get to it! With a C6-7, launched vertically, it can still drift a good distance....onto the top of a school house.

That was cool to give it to Vern and Gleda. I wish they would hurry up and get that book out, and maybe update their "Dear Mr. Estes" website with some of their personal rocketry photos, and add some book teasers and stuff.