Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Questions for upscaling old kits

Cool site, I really like some of the upscale designs.

One thread I was reading here really got my interest "Upscale Cherokee-D" posted by "Thor". In that thread "tbzeb" made several posts, some which included a picture of a couple old Estes kits (Cherokee and Goblin) that he upscaled. These old Estes Cherokee and Goblin kits were some of my favorite rockets from long ago.

I recently got back into model rocketry and have mainly been involved with MPR kits this time around. I have completed, and flown, a few of the larger Estes kits, as well as a few MPR kits from LOC and PML. Later this year I may even try for my L1 certifaction.

Anyways, after reading some of the posts here and seeing what old plans are still available, I'm thinking my next rocketry projects would be to build a couple upscale designs of some kits I liked from back in the later 60's. This brings up some questions I have regarding upscale older models:

1) Where is the best place to get original plans, or details about older kits? I found two sites that offer a wide selection of plans (Ye Olde Rocket Plans and JimZ Rocket Plans), but my concern is with getting actuate details for the nose cone and fins. Where is the best place to get accurate dimensions of the originals?

Calculating the scale factor for a larger body tube is no problem, and doing the same for the fins and nose cone would be easy as well, as lone as I had the correct dimensions from the original design.

2) Decals – Where are some good sources for getting upscale decals made?

3) Nose Cone – I've seen a few places that provided custom made nose cones, but are there some suppliers that would be recommended over others (quality work, fast turn around time, fair prices)? Do any of these places maintain specifications on different nose cones designs so that they can provide upscale designs easily? Or would I need to provide all dimensions (relates to my first question)?

4) Fins – I've also seen a few places that provide custom cut fins. Again, are there some suppliers that would be recommended over others? I'm not overly concerned about a fin supplier since these I could cut myself, but I would like to have some options available. Plus for the upscale fin design, I would probably modify the design to allow for thru-the-wall construction.

5) Cutting body tube for Thru-the-Wall fin construction. Of the kits I've done to date that have this feature, the kits have come pre cut for this. However, for a custom designed rocket, what the best way to make this type of cut? Are there suppliers that provide this type of service if ordering body tubes from them?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Randy K
Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy K
1) Where is the best place to get original plans, or details about older kits? I found two sites that offer a wide selection of plans (Ye Olde Rocket Plans and JimZ Rocket Plans), but my concern is with getting actuate details for the nose cone and fins. Where is the best place to get accurate dimensions of the originals?

Calculating the scale factor for a larger body tube is no problem, and doing the same for the fins and nose cone would be easy as well, as lone as I had the correct dimensions from the original design.
Randy, the two places you mentioned are a couple of the best places to get information about kits. If you have questions about specific parts, this forum is a great place to get answers.

Quote:
2) Decals – Where are some good sources for getting upscale decals made?
Tango Papa Decals at http://www.tangopapadecals.com/, and Excelsior Rocketry at http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/ are a couple of really great places that people use for their upscale and other custom decal needs.

Quote:
3) Nose Cone – I've seen a few places that provided custom made nose cones, but are there some suppliers that would be recommended over others (quality work, fast turn around time, fair prices)? Do any of these places maintain specifications on different nose cones designs so that they can provide upscale designs easily? Or would I need to provide all dimensions (relates to my first question)?
Balsa Machining Service at http://www.balsamachining.com/, or YORF's very own 'sandman' can produce great nose cones for you.

Quote:
4) Fins – I've also seen a few places that provide custom cut fins. Again, are there some suppliers that would be recommended over others? I'm not overly concerned about a fin supplier since these I could cut myself, but I would like to have some options available. Plus for the upscale fin design, I would probably modify the design to allow for thru-the-wall construction.
Again, Balsa Machining Service.

Quote:
5) Cutting body tube for Thru-the-Wall fin construction. Of the kits I've done to date that have this feature, the kits have come pre cut for this. However, for a custom designed rocket, what the best way to make this type of cut? Are there suppliers that provide this type of service if ordering body tubes from them?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Randy K
And again, Balsa Machining Service
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

For nose cones.

Depending on the size "up" you are going Balsa Machining Services and SEMROC make some nice upscale nose cones (Although Carl at SEMROC does a much nicer finish on his).

But...they are limited on size. Usually 2.6" or 11" in length is their limit.

I can do up to 12.5" in diameter and 40" in length or even larger in a variety of materials including, balsa, hardwood and even fiberglass.

I have most of the original cones that I refer to while I'm turning cones.

I'm not cheap because all of my cones are "hand made" one at a time.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 07-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for the replies and information, it was helpful.

I spent a couple hours last night checking out some of the old kit plans available at Ye Olde Rocket Plans and JimZ Rocket Plans just to get an idea as to what other possible projects I may want to plan for in the future.

Randy K