Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Master Modeler

Default Wilsonville, OR, July; blocked nozzles

First, I wanted to mention something troubling. A fellow at the launch described had a couple of packs of Estes B6-6 motors with clay gunk in the nozzles. On follow-up, I found I had a B6-4 with clay gunk.

I used a wooden BBQ skewer to gently scrape away the stuff. It was too exhausting a time to get date codes.
SO! Another Oregon Rocketry NAR launch at Memorial Park in Wilsonville, OR. Really hot and sunny (but not like the rest of the country), with just a bit of breeze.

These launches often end up being outreach events, and today wasn't an exception.

This time we had a family having a rocketry birthday party, a couple of BARs flying with their families, and a Cub Scout troop (pack? den?).

This troop / pack / den used RTF models, which just required the recovery system to be tied together. Previous scout groups had built-on-the-field Alphas in one case, or brought in Viking in another.

I started off as LCO until Tim took over; Keith Packard, who we really have to thank for getting the launch site, was RSO.

It was, overall, a really successful day for the visitors. A really excellent reliability rate, with just a few spare igniters and/or motor scrapings required. A couple of models ended up in the trees. (The returning BARs tended to use big motors.)

I launched a Viking II clone and my Badger.

I'm still pretty fried from the sun, despite sunblock and drinking pletn water.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-08-2012, 11:52 PM
BP Mafia

No flying here of late. The 100 degree temps and brown grass have me scared off for now. I'd hate to be the guy who burned up B6-4 Field. We had a get-together with some friends on Saturday, sort of a delayed reaction 4th of July cookout. It rained just as everyone arrived, so the swimming was delayed for a few hours, but while we were waiting, some of the youngest kids found several of my son's small GI Joes and some of my parachutes. They began tossing them from the lower deck into our back yard, which is built on a hill. The chutes were in pretty bad shape, so I found several nylon chutes that were currently not being used. Also found some of the old 12" Joe/Action Man figures. Hooked them up with the big chutes and sent the kids up to the top deck. This gave them 30-40 feet to work with. Several gruesome Joe deaths and dismemberments, but it was an entertaining hour.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
No flying here of late. The 100 degree temps and brown grass have me scared off for now. I'd hate to be the guy who burned up B6-4 Field. We had a get-together with some friends on Saturday, sort of a delayed reaction 4th of July cookout. It rained just as everyone arrived, so the swimming was delayed for a few hours, but while we were waiting, some of the youngest kids found several of my son's small GI Joes and some of my parachutes. They began tossing them from the lower deck into our back yard, which is built on a hill. The chutes were in pretty bad shape, so I found several nylon chutes that were currently not being used. Also found some of the old 12" Joe/Action Man figures. Hooked them up with the big chutes and sent the kids up to the top deck. This gave them 30-40 feet to work with. Several gruesome Joe deaths and dismemberments, but it was an entertaining hour.

Time to break out the stomp rockets... or the water rockets... LOL

Later! OL JR

PS. Feel your pain-- I'm in northern Indiana right now and it's DRY up here.. crops are pretty much toast at this point. Debating whether to hold the 4H fair launch or not, but that's not my call. We went through it last year... launched in April last year and it was dry then-- too dry to launch again until January...