Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Great Lakes Cup- Oswego, IL (regional)

I’d like to invite everyone to the Great Lakes Cup on June22-24th in Oswego, Illinois. This is about 40 miles southwest of Chicago. This is a duly sanctioned competition with both NAR (regional) and FAI sanctioned events. Please see the website at www.thegreatlakescup.com for more details on the events.

The contest is actually on the 23rd and 24thwhile opening ceremonies will be on the evening of the 22nd. We expect a number of foreign competitors including many of the Canadian team members, at least 3 competitors from India, and possibly another from Russia and other countries.

We have a nice hotel and meal package that provides for your food and lodging for the weekend.

I’m also trying to get some new people interested in this sort of FAI contest. Bill Stine has agreed to donate a free Quest Aerospace BigBetty rocket to any person who is new to FAI competition. The Big Betty qualifies under the FAI design parameters and will allow someone to enter theirfirst contest in the easiest way possible. They might even be competitive in parachute duration. So please spread the word to anyone you know who might like to try out this ‘competition stuff’.

Please email me personally at pat@thegreatlakescup.com if you have any questions.

Pat Butler
contest director
Old 03-18-2012, 01:52 AM
7/21/61

Emma and I went to the last Great Lakes Cup two years ago and all I can tell you is that it was truly incredible, unlike any NAR event we've ever been to. Emma and I are definitely going again this time. If you can fit it into your schedule you should really try not to miss it.

Pat Butler, the event organizer, is a super-promoter and does everything he can to make the event completely hassle-free for the contestants and spectators. He manages to secure corporate funding for the event, which allows him to offer discounts to attract foreign competitors and to defray the meal and lodging costs for U.S. competitors. Last time there were competitors from all over the U.S., Canada, Romania, Russia, and India. My understanding is that there will be even more foreign competitors this time.

The mayor of the city where the GLC is held, Oswego, considers this event a big deal and he goes out of his way to be sure the fields are prepped and that we have the cooperation of any city service necessary to make things run smoothly. At the last GLC the mayor spent virtually the entire weekend on-scene with us to make sure things were going well. The opening ceremony, where competitors march in by country was very cool.

At the last GLC, Pat also arranged for local Boy Scout troops to serve as timers and recovery troops for all rockets. Emma and I simply launched our flights. We didn't have to do range duty or chase a thing. Every rocket that didn't thermal away was brought directly back to us, absolutely amazing. An incredible level of organization on Pat's part, as was the wonderful food service on the field. Just take a look at the website for this event if you want to get an idea of how well run it is.

Want to check your rockets in on the field? You can, but you can also check them in the night before, at the hotel. And rather than waiting in line to check them in, just take a number and then go sit and socialize in the hors d'oeuvres room while you wait for your number to be called. Yeah, this is a regional NAR event where rocket check-in will have an hors d'oeuvres room!!! I'm telling you, you've never been to any rocketry event like this.

In addition to the competition last time, there was also a sport range launching hundreds of flights (I think there were over 400 last time). Only NAR contest I know of, besides NARAM, that runs a concurrent sport range. As I've said a number of times, this event is just absolutely amazing.

Finally, to up the ante this time, Pat is really trying hard to encourage new folks to compete in these FAI events. He's arranged with Bill Stine of Quest to give a free Big Betty to any first time FAI competitor who registers, since the Big Betty meets the weird FAI rocket-size requirements for roughly half the events. And honestly, I'm betting a Big Betty actually places in a couple of the events. As I always tell Pat, "you either catch a thermal or you don't". For FAI parachute duration a Big Betty should be pretty competitive. Great idea to encourage new folks to give FAI type flying a try.

So, again, I can't speak highly enough of the last Great Lakes Cup, and how much Emma and I are looking forward to this one. Sounds like it will be even better than last time. If you can make it, this is definitely an event not to miss.

Steve
Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
7/21/61

Great Lakes Cup is this weekend. Weather looks great.

If you are in the area come out and join us.

Go Team U.S.A. !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  USASpacemodelingBanner.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  430.7 KB