Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
......Pink?

Had to have something to contrast all that green.......Of course, if I'd known it would fly as far as it did.......
Old 10-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default Bump...bump....bump

Just an update....

DaveR did some photo analysis and it does appear that the clips may have come off under boost. Still no final determination. And, I haven't touched the rocket since I brought it home but I think it's going to be my winter project to get it in the air again. The picture below is the damage.....

Which brings me to the real reason for this post.......

Buzz.......how's it coming? I am convinced that this rocket would be better flown as an RC as opposed to a boost glider, just based on the shear weight of the beast. I'm going to try one more time as a BG. If a good boost and glide aren't produced, it's back to building an RC version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_2615 cropped.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  321.3 KB  
Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Just an update....

Buzz.......how's it coming? I am convinced that this rocket would be better flown as an RC as opposed to a boost glider, just based on the shear weight of the beast. I'm going to try one more time as a BG. If a good boost and glide aren't produced, it's back to building an RC version.

It's done, I just need to adjust the trim. I'm building a booster vehicle for my NCR Avatar that will also boost the Centauri. I don't think I'll try boosting it on it's own until after a few piggyback flights.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
It's done, I just need to adjust the trim. I'm building a booster vehicle for my NCR Avatar that will also boost the Centauri. I don't think I'll try boosting it on it's own until after a few piggyback flights.

Why not build an Arrow?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

That's what I'm building. I'm working on the release mechanism. Trying to engineer something that's universal for both gliders.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Retired Missile Technician

I always get a kick when I hear mention of the old NCR kits as I spent 07/93-10/94 working for Matt and Dan in Salt Lake City. I kitted many an Avatar and Arrow kits. The Avatar bodies and elevons came to us in huge boxes and we had to pull out the usable ones.
Dave Schaffer of the DARS section flew an Avatar back on the 18th. It had been a long time since I saw one fly and Dave is an excellant RC pilot.

Chas

Last edited by Chas Russell : 10-30-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Dave Schaffer of the DARS section flew an Avatar back on the 18th. It had been a long time since I saw one fly and Dave is an excellant RC pilot.
He flew it again in Asa this weekend. Also put up his RC-converted Hobby Labs SR-71, too. I always find it a little amusing how impressed the M & N fliers are when Dave's piloting something on E or F motors

Doug

(BTW, I'm not ragging on the M & N guys. Most of them, not matter how big of stuff they're flying, appreciate all aspects of the hobby, and will always compliment a good paint job, a well engineered craft or an exceptional flight.)

YORF member #11
Old 10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

(BTW, I'm not ragging on the M & N guys. Most of them, not matter how big of stuff they're flying, appreciate all aspects of the hobby, and will always compliment a good paint job, a well engineered craft or an exceptional flight.)

Our club is the same way Doug. They're just as excited to see a little kid make their first A8-3 flight as someone getting their L3.

Chas, I am NOT a good RC pilot hence the reason it's going up on an Arrow clone. I have a feeling the Centauri is going to be a handful just trying to keep it straight and level
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Don't get me wrong, the Arrow is a good way to go and not have to mess with plugged motor,etc. Plus, you can use a bigger motor than the Avatar was designed to usse. I was just noting that it warm my cockles to see the Avatar being built and flown.

Post pictures when you fly it!

C
Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator

After seeing Matt fly his at NARAM 33 the Arrow maybe the only way to fly an Avatar.