Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2006, 04:22 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I behaved myself for a while, buit now my backlog of projects is starting to grow again....I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight, but they're still in the camera. Well, that's my story. What's yours?

Somehow, the phrases "I behaved myself for a while" and "I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight" just don't seem to go together...

My build pile includes a Tau Zero for my start-from-scratch project, but it also includes a bunch of "finish-ups" from as far back as 2002...

One "finish-up" is the Cherokee Double-D prototype, which is about to get its launch lugs and a coat of Kilz. I had been needing a bulkhead for the payload section.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
A Skydart, cool. I haven't seen one of those in, oh, 30 years. When can we expect pics of the completed bird?

-Paul
I finally took it out of the box where it's been sitting for the last 34 years so it's at least getting closer.

Now if I can just get a decent day for painting, I "might" be able to have it ready for our next launch on July 22.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
The_Ripper

Since I was feeling too lousy to fly on Sunday, I put the time to good use and finished construction on the ARG Black Brant IVB bird that I picked up at NARCON back in 2005. Nice project once I could sit down and actually concentrate on it, and it really turned out to be a great looking bird. I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight, but they're still in the camera. Well, that's my story. What's yours?

Quote:
Sorry about the picture quality. A lot of the detail washed out in the flash. I'll see if I can get a daylight pic tomorrow.

Very nice, even if it is nekkid That's a pretty large kit too!

I have zero experience with ARG kits but the prototypes I'm working on (and need to finish) for Taras use the same basic materials and they are very strong rockets. The 1.72" diameter tubing he uses on the larger Brants is a pretty cool and unique size. Not sure if you realized it or not but an Estes BT-60 is a perfect slip fit into that size airframe and Taras uses BT-60 for couplers in the SR1720 Sounding Rocket prototype I have. You might consider that if you should ever damage it and need to fit a piece of tube inside the airframe to repair it.

Your ARG Black Brant IVB seems like it would be a challenge to finish unless some of the white areas are decaled since they overlay the red on the airframe. Did the kit come with decals?

I just recently got off crutches after almost two months and pulled all my rockets in my queue down from the top shelf to get started building again. I'll have to try to get a picture of the stuff in my build queue posted and have you guys get a good laugh at all of my half finished projects .....
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
GET GOONY!!

Oh boy... this is gonna be ugly....I am great at starting kits/projects, but terrible at finishing them....I have been trying to finish some of the many project that are lying around.... Let see:

Spev clone/upgrade w 24mm mount and 6 fins. I finally have this painted all gloss white, but haven't gotten around to masking and painting the black sections....

Restoration of my vintage Centuri V2: again, now it is all gloss white.... I am daunted byall of the masking it will require...

Restoration of two Vintage K-29 Sat 1bs. 1 needs two fins and a capsule, the other needs all fins, capsule, many setails, and a full paint/decal job.

Restoration of my original ESTES V2maxi Brute: It puked its innards last flight. I have replacement plywood fins, and a heavy duty engine tube.

An Alway ARCAS: painted, but I have been working on custom decals for the past three years!!

An Alway Sat V ... started, but never finished.

An ESTES Canadian Arrow converted to a V2 Blossom.... in primer.

An ESTES Canadian Arrow converted to a V-2... needs fins sanded. I hate sanding!

BT-70 upscale of the old Mini Brute Hornet. 24mm built for E motors. Needs a fin and finishing.

BT-70 upscale Saros w/custom 'Sandman' nosecones. Needs innards...

A couple of Goonys: Mercury Goonstone... working on it for 2 yrs, and Der Alte Fritz Triplan Goony: working for 3 yrs...

A rear ejection, short stubby 'lander' type scratchbuild based on a BT-80 Big Bertha NC . Needs a test launch, then paint.

I have a few vintage kits that were partially built up, and I will finish: farside X, Streak, Gyroc.

Venus Rocketry Giblet... about 1/2 built.

A pile of upscales: I have the cones, and need to order the slotted tubes and laser fins from Semroc: BT-80 Citation Patriot, BT-70 Wolverine, BT-70 Cherokee E, BT-70 Blue Bird Zero, BT-70 Constellation.

Scratch models:

'Super Mario' for my Niece: Big Bertha based... will eject a mario figure with a small 'chute'.

'Hell A Copter' I started with a Gyroc... enlarged to BT-50 added an extra fin-set, larger flaps, and ejects motor mount with a string to the NC.

'Attack Craft Deuce' A combination of the Deuce's Wild and the old ESTES Strike Fighter.

Well, that is all I can think of now...

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Well, that's my story. What's yours?
Interesting you should ask this, Bill. Just the other day, after LDRS, I made out a list of what I want to get done next.

Having just gotten my L2, my next goal for that rocket (the Doug-1b) is to fly it with two air-started RoadRunners at a launch soon.

I also drew up a couple L3 concepts in RockSim, but it's all pie-in-the-sky right now. However, a Taurus-like shape has a strong appeal.

Thridget (BT-70, 3xC6 to 3xC6 clustered stager) on its last flight only lit two, came off the rod and turned horizontal, then lit two sustainers before power pranging in a plowed field. But I think I can fix it ("My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools.") I've cut a new piece to splice on, but gotten no further. I expect to make more progress this weekend.

I'm also building an upscale Super Thridget with BT-80. It will fly on 3xD12-0 to 3xE9-8. Got one fin glued on last night.

Pro-Cluster. I had rings made (BMS) for this years ago, but only just now getting going. It's a 29mm MMT surrounded by six 18mm outboards. It will user timers to progressively light the outboards in pairs. The fin can is almost done with the last fin glued in last night. Next comes the electronics bay. (The fins were salvaged from an abortive L1 cert rocket destroyed by an I69 cato at LDRS in 2002. The Pro-Cluster's chute bay and nosecone were salvaged from those remains as well.)

Also need to repair my Bidget (BT-60 upscale Midget). When it staged during its last flight, the forward airframe of the booster tore open. I guess the pressure from the C11-0 burning thru was too much. The tear spans the entire valley between two fins, so it's not a simple patch. Looks like I'll have to cut the fins off and glue them to a new tube.

Hoping that N2O will be the theme at NTHP in Sept, so I expect to fly my Avenger-SRS on a Skyripper J and my HiTech H45 on a Skyripper H. Need to get the lower section of the Avenger painted and build an electronics bay for the HiTech H45. Wanna try a dual-deployment with the H45, too, although not necessarily on the same flight.

Want to build a 1.7x or 1.9x upscale Sprint with e-bay & DD, then fly F32, G37, G55 in it. I have an AT 1.9" tube and a nosecone, but need some couplers (and more time

Hoping to soon fly ST-20 upscale (2x) Midget with electronically airstarted sustainer soon. E28 to D12. Rocket is prepped. Just need a calm day and a charged NiCad.

Want to build and fly 6" Midget (sustainer only). Have one fin built up using 1/64" ply skin over truss structure with foam fill. Also have a nose cone. Goal is to reduce weight by a couple pounds versus previous 10 pound incarnation lawn-darted in Oct, 2004. (Additional goal is to not lawndart the new one

Want to build 2-stage HPR Midget, maybe 2.25" booster to 3" sustainer. Trick is squeezing electronics bay into sustainer. Anular space around motor tube is consideration, but exposes vent ports to turbulent air between fins.

Need to finally finish and fly Ecee Thunder RC.

Need to put last color (white) on Apogee 2 / ApoThree and fly it.

Doug
Needing a sabbatical from work for about 12 months to do it all...
Old 07-14-2006, 03:55 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Doug
Needing a sabbatical from work for about 12 months to do it all...

Now THAT sounds like a plan! Especially if they pay for the time off!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 07-14-2006, 04:54 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Since I was feeling too lousy to fly on Sunday, I put the time to good use and finished construction on the ARG Black Brant IVB bird that I picked up at NARCON back in 2005. Nice project once I could sit down and actually concentrate on it, and it really turned out to be a great looking bird. I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight, but they're still in the camera. Well, that's my story. What's yours?

Very nice, even if it is nekkid That's a pretty large kit too!

I have zero experience with ARG kits but the prototypes I'm working on (and need to finish) for Taras use the same basic materials and they are very strong rockets. The 1.72" diameter tubing he uses on the larger Brants is a pretty cool and unique size. Not sure if you realized it or not but an Estes BT-60 is a perfect slip fit into that size airframe and Taras uses BT-60 for couplers in the SR1720 Sounding Rocket prototype I have. You might consider that if you should ever damage it and need to fit a piece of tube inside the airframe to repair it.

Your ARG Black Brant IVB seems like it would be a challenge to finish unless some of the white areas are decaled since they overlay the red on the airframe. Did the kit come with decals?

It comes with decals, but I think I'm missing some. The paint isn't that daunting because, like you said, it's a big bird. I got some other pics last night that will hopefully show the details a little better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Black Brant IVB.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  331.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Black Brant IVB details.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  310.3 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 07-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marslndr
Well, I still have to finish my ... Estes Outlander.
I have the bag opened on mine, but never got very far. I mighta glued the feet and legs up...or was that for the TP3.9" ML?

I guess I need to add these two to my list of started stuff that needs finishing....

Doug
Old 07-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
I have a balsa Holversion Designs Wicked Winnie kit ...
That kit is begging for a 24mm motor mount. I bashed a Big Betty into a quasi-Sprint which is not far from the WW. I was amazed at how well it performed. I guess it's the boat tail that really reduces the drag because it seemed to go much higher on a C motor than I expected, based on Big Bettys and Berthas on the same motor.

Anyway, I set my Betty-Sprint up to use an F32, but I don't think I've ever put anything in it bigger than a C or D. Nevertheless, the WW can easily handle D12's. And E9's, too, with some extra eyes and a shiny streamer.

Doug
Sometimes, when the rubber meets the road, I get wimpy...
Old 07-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

A Fish Named Wallyum posted ARG Black Brant IVB pics

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...tachmentid=3025

So the step in the airframe in the middle of the fin chord is a scale feature? Looks kinda odd.

Doug