Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2007, 11:45 PM
The_Ripper

Default SLS Lune R-1 {Almost Finished}

The weather was pretty good Mardi Gras day so I shot two coats of gray primer since I had the day off of work. I bought a few cans of "Brite Touch" BT-49 gray primer at Pep Boys for a few bucks a can because I noticed it's manufactured by Dupli-Color and a little over a buck a can less expensive than the Dupli-Color branded primer. After a couple of days in the garage it didn't smell anymore so I shot a light coat of Krylon gloss white and today followed up with a final heaver coat of the same.

I applied the blue/red decal wrap on the payload section and one of the Semroc logo decals. I'm not sure I want to put the other decal on the opposite side of the body tube and may put it on a blue fin or on the payload section. Not sure, and it's pretty much up to the builders discretion for placement since the logo decals are included but don't appear in any of the kit artwork. The indoor flash picture really washes it out but it's coming along really nicely.

I still need to mask off and paint two of the fins red and the other two fins blue. I purchased a couple of small cans of Krylon paint for that with my Hobby Lobby coupon although I'm not familiar with these colors. The red is SCS-033 Red Pepper and the blue is SCS-073 Forever Blue. The caps appear to be about the colors I need but I haven't test sprayed any yet. Anyone else ever try these "Short Cuts" Hobby/Craft Paints by Krylon for small projects? Any comments? I'm going to let it dry a good bit before I mask and spray the colors.

BTW, the SLS Lune R-1 RockSim file I posted earlier is accurate as far as weights are concerned and using the BC-17590 balsa nose cone that Carl turned for me.

I absolutely love this rocket!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  010Semroc-SLS Lune R1 Decals.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  75.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Lune R-1 Kit Image From Semroc Website.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  37.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  011Semroc-SLS Lune R1 Krylon Red Pepper and Forever Blue.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  69.3 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The krylon "Short Cuts" small cans work very well; I have used them several times.
They offer a purple in this line that correctly matches the purple that was used to match the factory colors of the fin section for the old Estes Wizard. That is the only purple I have found for this one since Aero Gloss Royal Purple Dope and Testors Dark Purple enamel were discontinued.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-24-2007, 06:18 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The krylon "Short Cuts" small cans work very well; I have used them several times.
They offer a purple in this line that correctly matches the purple that was used to match the factory colors of the fin section for the old Estes Wizard. That is the only purple I have found for this one since Aero Gloss Royal Purple Dope and Testors Dark Purple enamel were discontinued.

I didn't see a purple color in the "Short Cuts" at Hobby Lobby. They had very little selection. The thing I found interesting is the colors in these smaller cans all had different names for the colors than similar colors in the large spray cans. The caps on the red a blue I picked up look brighter than Krylon in the large cans.

It will be interesting to see how these two colors look on the fins. With the 40% off the price was reasonable so I'll have to look for the purple and other colors when I can purchase some on sale.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 03-03-2007, 08:19 AM
No Plastic For Me!

I've found the Krylon Short Cuts in the close out section of the Ft Wayne Hobby Lobby, also the Sterling Silver Krylon spray looks like polished stainless steel. I wonder how shiny their chrome is?!

Two suggestions for SLS Kits ... Aerobee-Hi and an Arcon Hi ( two stage )
Old 03-03-2007, 02:05 PM
The_Ripper

Default SLS Lune R-1 {Finished}

I found the Krylon Short Cuts paints in the small cans worked out just great. The red and blue colors I used for the fins finished out nice and bright. The indoor flash photos really don't do the final paint colors justice. I'll be searching for more colors next time the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon surfaces again.

What can I say. The completed SLS Lune R-1just has me beaming with a big smile

At slightly over 41" tall it's big but light enough to fly on Estes D12's. I wouldn't hesitate to use RMS or single use G motors in it and I will when I have a chance to take it to the HPR field in Winnsboro next month.

My Semroc Lil' Hustler is shown in the photo for scale.

I can't wait to fly it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  013Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  77.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  014Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  102.8 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Great Job, Steve! I am going to inquire about the BC-17590 nose cone at NARCON, since it is not currently on the SEMROC site (see, Carl, we do pay attention <g>).
I am trying to finish up the Luna R-1 kit for the sports launch at NARCON, if the weather permits. Still getting bleeding under the 3M blue tape. Also had a rattle can of Krylon go berserk on me. Its one of those days.

Anyone else up for an SLS Lune R-1?

Chas
Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Wink Our wish is Carl's command(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Great Job, Steve! I am going to inquire about the BC-17590 nose cone at NARCON, since it is not currently on the SEMROC site (see, Carl, we do pay attention <g>).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Some interesting new cones:
BC-17590 Balsa Nose Cone Upscale of BC-1051 Old Semroc NC-413

It is if you look here :

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...sp?SKU=BC-17590

Quote:
If you are, time's a-wastin'.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 03-04-2007, 10:35 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I am trying to finish up the Luna R-1 kit for the sports launch at NARCON, if the weather permits. Still getting bleeding under the 3M blue tape. Also had a rattle can of Krylon go berserk on me. Its one of those days.

Chas

Thanks Chas. I noticed the thread last night that Jay mentions with Carl's reference of the BC-17590 nose cone as well as some other new interesting cones. If you missed it:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=1520

I use 3M blue tape and I always seem to get just a little spot of bleeding where there is an overlap if I don't press it down again just prior to spraying. I can't seem to find the tamiya brand other forum members have mentioned they've had good results with.

I need to set up my PerfectFlite miniAlt/WD on a small cardboard sled to slide into the payload section. I want to get some flight data back when I bring it to launch next month.

SAM# 0052

Last edited by snaquin : 03-04-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I use 3M blue tape and I always seem to get just a little spot of bleeding where there is an overlap if I don't press it down again just prior to spraying. I can't seem to find the tamiya brand other forum members have mentioned they've had good results with.

I know Kurt Schachner swears by it. Kurt, if you see this thread let Steve know where you've found it in the past.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-04-2007, 03:31 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I know Kurt Schachner swears by it. Kurt, if you see this thread let Steve know where you've found it in the past.

I use Tamiya tape for critical masking all the time - it's properties are just excellent.

I often pick it up at a hobby shop I visit in Toronto on my various travels; a more convenient way to get it is to order the stuff on line: visit http://www.greatmodels.com/ , click on the Search button, and then just enter Tamiya tape. This will present you with a selection of their masking tape.

Hope this helps;
YORF #003
SAM #004