Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Default Marketing

I've been thinking about just what our goals are as the SVDT. Outside of Carl's specific request regarding the motors, and the rocket designs that Craig is popping out like popcorn at a movie, I was thinking about how I might contribute. I need a goal or I get bored. So, hence this thread.

What should Semroc be? Obviously, they can't be all things to all people. The motor thing certainly seems like a good idea. It seems to me that Semroc became popular so fast because a niche was open, namely cloning Centuri rockets. There seemed to be a fair amount of resources available if you wanted to clone your favorite old Estes rocket, but before Semroc, finding the resources to clone your favorite Centuri rocket was difficult if not impossible. The same kind of niche is available for low-power and contest motors. So, filling the motor void should work well. What next, then?

Mid-power rockets? Not just any mid-power rockets, but cool mid-power rockets that remind us of our roots. Why not upscale the classics. This already seems to be a proven concept with the SLS Laser-X, etc. Then, you provide the motors that go with them. High-power is having difficulties with the BATFE issues. I assume the hobby will find a way to get around the issues and make its way back, but HP flying in our area isn't what it used to be. So, mid-power should be ripe for a major resurgence right now.

I love the Classics page. Getting those filled out seems to make sense. I love the idea of picking parts off the page to build my classic kit. Too cool! So, with all that going on, does making additional sport rocket designs really start to stretch Semroc resources? Is there really a big market for that? It seems to me that there are three markets: the fly one rocket crowd ("forc"), the "new" rocketeers, and "old" rocketeers. Since Semroc is putting rockets out on the shelf now, he should be able to reach the forcs. With the classics, he is reaching the old rocketeers. Seems to me, the new rocketeers are a group that can be accessed. If those are anything like my grandson, Blake, they're going to move towards the SLS side of Semroc.

That covers rockets. Then, there's parts. I like the interchangeable motor mounts that Carl is putting out, ala SLS Laser-X. I don't like black Lexan centering rings!! So, I hope those die out. Certainly, there's some room to expand in this area with some creativity. Remember the Sport Rocketry article with the guys that were building the rockets that could be totally disassembled. That sounded like a really good concept to move forward with. Blake thought that was just awesome. With the variety of parts that Carl has now, "builders" should have plenty of tubes and cones. Maybe some specialty cones and cockpit templates would be a good thing to offer?

Just some food for thought that might get us focused in areas that make sense for Semroc.

Thoughts, Carl? Others?
James