Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to CQBArms Send a message via MSN to CQBArms Send a message via Yahoo to CQBArms
Default Design goals

As I like talking about rockets, and now have another reason to talk about them. I'm putting stuff out here to talk about.

It is my understanding that one of the end "goals" of this is to bring real, viable, flyable, products to market. To that end what would be some good design goals/limits?

COTS Only Parts
Upside:
I figure incorporating COTS parts might be good. It would require less fabrication, no real custom parts, would be very easy and cost effective to prototype.

Downside:
You end up with more 3FNC/4FNC/5/FNC etc

Semi custom with COTS
Upside:
Still basically all COTS except for some parts that are simple and easy to fabricate. Say new fin patterns, strakes, minor modifications to transitions parts. It will allow new looks to "old frames" with a minimum in fabrication time.

Downside:
There are lots of variations on a theme out there already. The current mega retail rocket kits are a prime example.

Military Kits
Lots of the military kits are pretty popular. There's a bit of a vacuum out there in low and mid power kits.

Upside:
Lots of designs out there, royalty free. Many are "flight ready".

Downside:
Might require prototypes for test flying as lots of military rockets/missiles are flight stable due to technology.

thoughts?