Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
scanned in a few vintage pics of original Nike Ram kits - note the 3 fins.

Al,

Great pics! Thanks for posting. I had several originals and I remember the early kits I had both had 3 fins. The last kit I purchased a couple of years before AAA went out was a four finned model. All were the Magnum Nike Ram 2, 29mm mount .... not the 38mm mount.

I always wondered if Al with AAA just settled on the four fins for the Magnum Nike Ram 2 when the 38mm mount "H" model was brought into the kit line. I believe all of the Nike H models had four fins and although I haven't checked the catalogs I don't remember the Magnum Nike Ram 2 as still being offered with 3 fins after the "H" version came onboard.

I finished my clone last weekend and I'm very pleased with how it came out with the decals Sandman produced. I need to take a few pictures to post. I also have to look for some old pics of my originals. A friend of mine still has one of my original models that I gave to him years ago and he flew it a few times at our HPR launch site in Winnsboro, LA.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 PM
The_Ripper

First flight with my Nike Ram 2 will be tomorrow at the HPR launch in Winnsboro, LA.

I plan to use an F40-7W and if wind is calm second flight will be with a 29mm Ellis H50-10. Not sure I'll brave the H50-10 this time because the velocity at deployment looks high and not sure I'll have enough time tonight to rig my altimeter in the payload bay for deployment. Don't want to risk a zipper first time out with it .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0001.1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  295.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0003.3.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  294.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0006.6.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  310.3 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 AM
SAM 0371

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
First flight with my Nike Ram 2 will be tomorrow at the HPR launch in Winnsboro, LA.

I plan to use an F40-7W and if wind is calm second flight will be with a 29mm Ellis H50-10. Not sure I'll brave the H50-10 this time because the velocity at deployment looks high and not sure I'll have enough time tonight to rig my altimeter in the payload bay for deployment. Don't want to risk a zipper first time out with it .....

Steve - Very nice! I got my parts from LOC (did you use LOC or Estes NC? )this week to get going on mine. I think I may also add a K+S Engineering electronics bay.

As for the H50-10, my gut is that it'll be OK.

Again, a beautiful rocket.

Jason
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Blatz
Steve - Very nice! I got my parts from LOC (did you use LOC or Estes NC? )this week to get going on mine. I think I may also add a K+S Engineering electronics bay.

As for the H50-10, my gut is that it'll be OK.

Again, a beautiful rocket.

Jason

Hey thanks for the kind words Jason!

Wind was picking up by the early afternoon today and the two HPR pads were full. This was my last flight for the day so I used the F40-7W. It's a perfect single use motor for this model. It was a pretty clear day and the F40-7W nearly sailed the model out of sight but we have plenty of room for recovery at this location and it was clearly visible when it popped the chute.

I think I'll try a G motor and that H50-10 Ellis motor at the next HPR launch.

At the time I procured the parts for it I had another order in with Mike Stoop at Madcow Rocketry. The BT80HD airframes, coupler, chute and chute protector, rings and kevlar/nylon shock cord combo all came from him. I was going to kit bash his 2.6" DX3 kit but the tube lengths were a little off so I bought parts instead. The plywood fins were cut by Barry Lynch at LOC/Precision. The nose cone was a recent order from Launch Pad 2000 and is an Estes PNC-80K.

I really enjoyed building and flying this model. It brought back some great memories of flying my originals years ago .....

I attached a few pics from the launch today.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0710_2.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  128.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0711_2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  252.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0712_2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  243.7 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Flying since 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
[snip]This was my last flight for the day so I used the F40-7W. It's a perfect single use motor for this model. It was a pretty clear day and the F40-7W nearly sailed the model out of sight but we have plenty of room for recovery at this location and it was clearly visible when it popped the chute.

Isn't the F40 a reloadable motor? All the F40s I have seen are for RMS 29-140 casings.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
Isn't the F40 a reloadable motor? All the F40s I have seen are for RMS 29-140 casings.

I actually used the G40-7W as pictured with the rocket in the post shown in front the fireplace.

F40-7W was a typo ..... good catch!

SAM# 0052

Old 11-18-2013, 07:23 PM
The_Ripper

Saturday 11/9 I brought my Nike Ram 2 to the field in Winnsboro, LA Saturday 11/9. The forecast was favorable and although there was nearly zero wind at the field, the 5% chance of rain predicted sat directly on top of us for the 3 hours I was there and rained off and on until finally they packed up about 3:15PM. It was sunny SW of the site and you could actually see the sun shining in the distance for most of the time we were there.

It was so overcast at the filed the flash actually fired a couple of times on some of my still shots and it wasn't looking good for getting in many flights.

About 1/2 hour before I was ready to pack it up between rain drizzles I manged to get off one flight using one of the new AeroTech DMS 29mm H135W-14A, (disposable motor system with adjustable delay). I trimmed 4 seconds off the delay to make it a -10 and it proved to be just about perfect.

This is the launch sequence I shot and I lightened the images a bit but they are still somewhat washed out but wow what a flame and it was pretty loud for an H motor!

I love these new DMS motors!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0471.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  225.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0473.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  164.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0474.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  169.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0475.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  178.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0476.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  343.7 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 11-18-2013, 07:54 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Killer pics !

Love that flame on that, very old -school, perfect for that bird

Going to have to dig out my parts for my Nike Ram clone ( original AAA-reworked-Estes-cone, and AAA HD tubing , rest new ).
3 fins though, I wouldn't have it any other way .

~ history AL
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Master Modeler

The fact that it is gloomy makes the shot much more dramatic.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM
SAM 0371

Here's my finally finished Nike-H clone . I flew it in October on one AeroTech's H class Metalstorms. It is modern in many ways (ie, dual deploy, aeropac retention, rocketman chute). Decals by Excelsior.

This is a classic kit model with great lines. I hope to build another one bone-stock and keep it much lighter, as this thing weighs 3+ lbs dry and needs at least a G to get it moving. It would be cool to have one I could fly on F's...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  NikeH2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  61.1 KB