Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2022, 12:59 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Here is one of the NASA images on Flickr of Orion's landing a week and half ago or so. This particular image is of the pilot chutes pulling out the mains, which are still in highly reefed condition at this point. Good shot.

The original NASA image is of pretty high resolution and if you zoom in on the upper part of the image on the pilot chutes themselves, one can see some other 'stuff' (small white dots) that, from a model rocketry perspective, would look all the world like 'chute wadding'!

Earl
I'm quite sure it *is* wadding, although it doesn't need--as in model rockets--to serve as a piston, because the various parachutes' mortars have more than enough "oomph" to get their respective 'chutes "out into the breeze."

Those bits in the pictures are probably fabric, or some other fibrous material (fireproof), that keeps hot gas and any "sparks" from the mortars from hitting the canopies and/or the shroud lines. They *might* be pieces of a single sheet (per parachute), but I suspect that they use multiple, smaller sheets that are packed so as to partly overlap each other, because several smaller sheets would be less likely to become--or stay--tangled up in their parachutes.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 12-22-2022, 10:52 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I'm quite sure it *is* wadding, although it doesn't need--as in model rockets--to serve as a piston, because the various parachutes' mortars have more than enough "oomph" to get their respective 'chutes "out into the breeze."

Those bits in the pictures are probably fabric, or some other fibrous material (fireproof), that keeps hot gas and any "sparks" from the mortars from hitting the canopies and/or the shroud lines. They *might* be pieces of a single sheet (per parachute), but I suspect that they use multiple, smaller sheets that are packed so as to partly overlap each other, because several smaller sheets would be less likely to become--or stay--tangled up in their parachutes.

Yes, that's kind of what I thought it was probably, too.

Only makes sense that the 'need' to do that would be there and to use multiple layers of some kind of flameproof material. The chutes themselves I believe are 'bagged', and that bag is then attached to the pilot chutes, so one would assume a decent amount of protection from those bags. But, as all us old-time rocketeers can attest, it is sooo easy for a bit of heat or spark to get past the best 'chute wadding' and cause heat damage to a canopy. With 'models', that's not necessarily the end of the world. With a manned space capsule, it's a different story!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-22-2022, 11:13 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Back when a buddy and I were kids, we just used plain paper toweling as wadding.
I came back down smouldering, which we just put out by stomping if it didn't self extinguish.
We weren't about to spend our small amount of hobby dollars on flame-proof boraXed toilet paper.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !