Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > Semroc Builders Resource
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2023, 12:52 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Default Back Stabbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, get well soon. Hope it heals well.

Had a very badly ruptured lumbar disc back in '14 and had to have surgery. They worked miracles. I'd have been permanently disabled if it had not worked. Still some numbness in my right foot and calf from time to time (right leg was heavily impacted from the rupture...I almost had to drag it behind me after the rupture and the pain was off. the. charts.). Out of work for four months. But, recovered and got back to work. I still take it kind of easy on some manual labor stuff around the house and try to stay this side of stupid when lifting things, but am not overly limited in what I can do. Still some residual 'things' down my right leg at times, but way, way, way better than before the surgery.

Take care...be well!

Earl

Thanks Earl & 5x7. Surgery went well, though she found more crap than the MRI showed before she went in. A lot of arthritis, bone on bone disks. One disk that knuckled out ( my term ) when I bent over. So she cleaned out the arthritis, fused a couple of discs an threw in 8 screws and a couple of pins for good measure.

Prognosis is good, though I’ll be out of work and in a back- brace for a good 12 weeks.
Pain level is pretty high, but the meds keep it tolerable when I’m not moving as long as I stick to the schedule. Thing is, I have to get up and walk (shuffle) every hour or so during the day using a walker. ( What?? Only old farts use walkers…) Things should start improving in ~3 weeks or so - how
Much remains to be seen. With any luck I’ll be out there chasing rockets around again next spring.

Sean
SAM #0031

Last edited by SEL : 04-30-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:49 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Thanks Earl & 5x7. Surgery went we’ll, though she found more crap than the MRI showed before she went in. A lot of arthritis, bone on bone disks. One disk that knuckled out ( my term ) when I bent over. So she cleaned out the arthritis, fused a couple of discs an threw in 8 screws and a couple of pins for good measure.

Prognosis is good, though I’ll be out of work and in a back- brace for a good 12 weeks.
Pain level is pretty high, but the meds keep it tolerable when I’m not moving as long as I stick to the schedule. Thing is, I have to get up and walk (shuffle) every hour or so during the day using a walker. ( What?? Only old farts use walkers…) Things should start improving in ~3 weeks or so - how
Much remains to be seen. With any luck I’ll be out there chasing rockets around again next spring.

Sean

Sounds like they had to do a decent amount of ‘overhaul’ work on you, but it also sounds like they were thorough, too, which is good. Once in, my damage was more extensive also the doc said, especially the disc material that ruptured into my spinal column. Doc said the spinal cord was squashed pretty hard in that area, causing considerable pressure on the spinal cord. I guess when it comes to tight areas like vertebrae in the back, MRI’s and other imaging systems can show only so much detail before they get in there and open it up and get a full honest to goodness look at things.

I suspect you have been told already, but be sure to stick to the doctor’s recommendations on activity levels, do’s and don’ts, etc., to ensure the healing process goes smoothly. I do hope you find the pain level decreases considerable very soon and that increased mobility follows along as well.

Hang in there and don’t go sorting through your O or P motor collection for a while!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-30-2023, 01:25 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Sounds like they had to do a decent amount of ‘overhaul’ work on you, but it also sounds like they were thorough, too, which is good. Once in, my damage was more extensive also the doc said, especially the disc material that ruptured into my spinal column. Doc said the spinal cord was squashed pretty hard in that area, causing considerable pressure on the spinal cord. I guess when it comes to tight areas like vertebrae in the back, MRI’s and other imaging systems can show only so much detail before they get in there and open it up and get a full honest to goodness look at things.

I suspect you have been told already, but be sure to stick to the doctor’s recommendations on activity levels, do’s and don’ts, etc., to ensure the healing process goes smoothly. I do hope you find the pain level decreases considerable very soon and that increased mobility follows along as well.

Hang in there and don’t go sorting through your O or P motor collection for a while!

Earl

Ha - not a chance. I’m under strict “No BLT” rules: No Bending, Lifting, Twisting. Absolutely no problem there - sitting, standing, getting in and out of bed and hobbling around with the walker are all the reminders I need to not do anything stupid.

Keeping this Rocket Related:
The last time I was laid up from surgery, I pulled out all my old Rocket magazines (Tripolitans, Model Rocketry Mag.’s, etc. ). I might do that one more time before I sell them off. In a couple of weeks I may try getting some of my many buck nekid rockets primed and painted. I will also get the Golden Scout parts and decal scanned.

Thanks,

Sean
SAM #0031