Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2022, 01:50 PM
7/21/61

The major difference between the Harrison and Rose jigs is that the Harrison jigs are indexed for 4 fin as well as 3 fin rockets. The Rose jig was meant specifically for competititon modelers who would almost never be using anything but 3 fins. The Harrison is a bit more general purpose.

The Harrison jig is also a bit beefier in the support mechanism. Not that the Rose jig is flimsy by any stretch of the imagination, but it is still a difference. Rose jig is a bit lighter to pack off to Europe for events.

The second Harrison version basically has 3 improvements over the second.

First, as Bernard noted, the platen adjustment mechanism is more refined and exact. It can also be locked into place. The play in the platen adjustment screw of the Rose jig is minor, but definitely not as exact as the second Harrison jig. Really a nice improvement.

The second improvement in Harrison 2.0 is that Dan moved the knob that tightens the unit into position to the outside (left) of the unit. This leaves more room in the "working area" for fins with greater span than on the old unit. Very clever improvement.

Final change is that the knurled wheel that rotates the mandrel and rocket into the next position is now"shaped" instead of just cross-hatched along the edge. Not terribly important but a nice functinal and esthetic change.

So a few very real improvements on this jig. Honestly, I've been shocked at the number of people who already had a Rose or previous Harrison jig who purchased this one and like Bernard, plan to, or already have, sell/sold their old one. I think it all boils down to this. The Art Rose fin jig was an absolutely brilliantly designed and manufactured piece of equipment. Like Art, Dan Harrison is an incredibly talented, inventive, machinist who has made this machine even better. It is simply the very best piece of equipment you can own for precisely placing fins on a model rocket.

Final note, most of the current batch have been sold. I have no more 24mm mandrels left. These jigs are incredibly time consuming, and expensive, to produce. There is currently no plan to make more. If you want one, now is the time to either get a Harrison 2.0 or purchase a used one from Bernard or others. These jigs are very expensive, but I've never known anyone who was disappointed to have bought one. It is absolutely my favorite piece of rocketry equipment, a pure pleasure to use.

Steve