Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Apollo Nut

Default Hammerin' Hank Is Gone

Henry 'Hank' Aaron, the long-time Atlanta Brave and homerun king and holder of many major league baseball records, has passed away at age 86.

Not only was he a great baseball player, but a true ambassador of the game and from all outward appearances a true gentleman and humble man throughout.

He was one of my 'hometown' heroes when I was a kid living in the Atlanta area in the 60s and I remember well watch on TV that night in early April, 1974 as he broke Babe Ruth's home run record. Link to Milo Hamilton's call of the play> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZl6HN5c-0

I still get goosebumps listening to and watching this replay. My future to be brother-in-law was at Atlanta Fulton County stadium that night in April, 1974 to watch that game.

You've trotted the bases for the last time Hank...you are now truly Home.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-22-2021, 11:01 AM
Dazed and Confused

He was a true gentleman. He was one of the greatest ever to play, even without all the home runs. He played 23 years in the MLB and averaged over .300 for his career. He said $50 was all that kept him and Willie Mays from playing on the same team. While the combo would have been awesome to see, a big thank you goes out to the Braves for spending that extra $50 a month to keep him out of NYC/SF! RIP, Hank. You are the true home run king.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:02 AM
Master Modeler

R.I.P. Hank.

Thanks for the memories.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:02 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Really worthy of his great record. I'm sorry to hear that he has passed, and I hope it wasn't Covid-related.

Joe
Old 01-22-2021, 11:21 AM
BP Mafia

We got to bring a TV into the classroom to watch Opening Day in 1974 when he hit #714 off of Jack Billingham. I was watching on the 2nd TV back in Mom and Dad's room when Downing gave up #715. (Yeah, we were a two TV household. That's how we rolled. ) I met him at a sponsored appearance at a mall on the west side of town in 1975. I still have to poster that he signed for me. It's in pretty rough shape after hanging on my wall for ten years or so.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-22-2021, 12:08 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

I've got an autographed baseball from him from when he came back to play with the Brewers.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-22-2021, 02:07 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That's a REALLY NICE souvenir, Scott.

Sad to see him go.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-22-2021, 02:58 PM
Dazed and Confused

I loved his interviews in the booth at Braves games over the years. He's one of the greatest of all time at any sport, yet he was always humble. He praised the people around him in the organization and his teammates. When the guys in the booth wanted to talk about his accomplishments, it was always an "aw shucks" attitude, downplaying his talent. He took considerable abuse in 54, only 7 years removed from Jackie Robinson's debut, and it got bad again when HR # 714 got close. He was likely was never completely removed from it in between, yet he seemed to always look for the good instead of dwelling on the bad. It kills me that he was such an awesome role model, but since he was quiet and humble, people didn't pay much attention to him. He wasn't flashy like Mantle and Mays.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:28 PM
Apollo Nut

Well, he was a heroic man, no doubt. And his character is a great role model for anyone.

In the midst of great national difficulty this past year there has been much to be sad about. But we have lost two in just the past few weeks that I was particularly fond of and that was Mr. Aaron and Dawn Wells. And to be perfectly honest, I cried at the news of the loss of both of them.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-22-2021, 11:21 PM
Master Modeler

When I was 8 years old and living in Stockbridge, Ga. (a suburb of Atlanta) my dad took me to a Braves game at the old Fulton Cty Stadium. This would have been 1968. Phil Niekro was the pitcher— who also passed away very recently. They were playing the Astros and it was replica batting helmet day. I saw Hank Aaron hit a blast to left center field, one of his 755. Unfortunately, the Braves lost 3 to 2 that day. I still have the helmet in my shop.

Fast forward to the early 1980s, I had graduated college and moved to Atlanta. I attended my first Braves game since 1968. Phil Niekro was the starting pitcher (man he pitched a long time) and Hank Aaron threw out the first ball. I didn’t really think about the amazing coincidence of that until some years later. But it’s a great memory.

Thanks for all of them Mr. Aaron. In my eyes, you are the greatest! Rest In Peace.