Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

I like the Wedgie design Jay. What I appreciate even more is the way you simmed the rounded olgive nose cone with two seperate parts . Absolutely genius idea with that little detail. I would have never though of that!

Thanks for the tip Buddy.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Wink A Trained Eye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
What I appreciate even more is the way you simmed the rounded [ogive] nose cone with two [separate] parts . Absolutely genius idea with that little detail. I would have never though of that!
Dear Jim,

Apparently it's my "That does/doesn't look the way it's supposed to" trained TV cameraman's eye benefiting all of us in the rocketry community.

I've been using this technique to more closely approximate Centuri nose cones for a while now. I also used multiple transitions to sim the "Skylab" nose cone (Centuri PNC-102/Semroc BC-1043) and the "Wolverine" cone (Semroc BNC-50BC).

And somewhere on here YORF are my Rocksim files for the Centuri PNC-73, -74, and -76 (Semroc BC-723P, 730P, 734P) nose cones.

Cheers, and thanks,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 10-05-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:34 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Thanks for the addition, Jay. Looks like a fun bird to take to the field, especially for wind testing...

What does this bring us up to now? I've lost count.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Wink Jay uses all his fingers and toes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
What does this bring us up to now? I've lost count.
Craig,

With the Interstellar Cruise Liner, there were 19 designs left, and the Goony Flare dropped that number to 18. The Carrier Wave Jr. didn't count as a new design, but the "bigger" Carrier Wave did, which left us with 17 designs remaining. The Carrier WEDGIE means, as you would say...

This should bring the magic number to 16...

...*if* I counted correctly.

Jim Pierson's proposed "12 Designs for Christmas" mean we only need 4 more designs to break, what is it, 600 BARCLONE models?

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

03 Sept 2014
Old 10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Craig,

With the Interstellar Cruise Liner, there were 19 designs left, and the Goony Flare dropped that number to 18. The Carrier Wave Jr. didn't count as a new design, but the "bigger" Carrier Wave did, which left us with 17 designs remaining. The Carrier WEDGIE means, as you would say...

This should bring the magic number to 16...

...*if* I counted correctly.

Jim Pierson's proposed "12 Designs for Christmas" mean we only need 4 more designs to break, what is it, 600 BARCLONE models?

Cheers,

Thanks, Jay. Although the count total is only 500, I knew we were getting close. I've been tied up with "other stuff" for several weeks, now, and just have not had any time to work on new designs.

I've got some sketches that I need to run sims on, but anything you guys can add to cross the finish line would be great!

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation When "Real Life" happens...

Quote:
I've been tied up with "other stuff" for several weeks, now, and just have not had any time to work on new designs.
Craig,

No biggie. It seems like I've finally been freed up to actually do some rocket building lately, so I have no problem with "taking up the slack" for a change!

Quote:
I've got some sketches that I need to run sims on, but anything you guys can add to cross the finish line would be great!
My creative "obsessive compulsions" seem to be doing ST-7 to ST-10 based 137% upscales of some classic Centuri designs. So far the "hit list" includes the Micron, Vector-V, Sky Devil, and (just last night!) the official Cub Scout rocket Akela-1. (Vector-V fins on a Sky Devil nose cone and body tube configuration. How's that for a rocketry epiphany? )

So here's my question: Should these modern-day updates (and upscales) count as new designs? (This is mostly rhetorical, but I'd like to get some objective input on my thinking here.)

Thanks, and cheers, as always,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014
Old 10-17-2008, 02:08 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
...So here's my question: Should these modern-day updates (and upscales) count as new designs? (This is mostly rhetorical, but I'd like to get some objective input on my thinking here.)...

In a nutshell, Yes. An upscale is still a new model, even if the design has been proven in a smaller scale. Larger versions, after all, don't always fly the same. I see a larger version as a separate design, since the construction may be different to achieve the same appearance.

Check out the full list of BARCLONEs, and you'll see quite a few upscales. Some of those are of BARCLONEs, others are of Estes and Centuri, and they're all logged as "new" designs.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

Quote:

Proposed Indeed . I am still feverishly working at it and have 9 of the 12 that meet a passing grade.

I will not be posting the 500th design however as I feel that honor belongs to the Barclone creator himself . Mr. Craig McGraw .

Quote:
In a nutshell, Yes. An upscale is still a new model, even if the design has been proven in a smaller scale. Larger versions, after all, don't always fly the same. I see a larger version as a separate design, since the construction may be different to achieve the same appearance.

I totally agree with this.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
...I will not be posting the 500th design however as I feel that honor belongs to the Barclone creator himself . Mr. Craig McGraw ...

James, You may, and you may not. I'm not worried about who rings up #500, but rather that we get there. You might have the 500th design, and in fact, I am counting on it! BARCLONE is a team effort, not a one-man-show. If it had been left up to me, we'd still be below 300...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Centuri "Chuter-Two" meets SEMROC

Given our discussion about "original" Centuri tube sizes on proposed Estes re-releases for 2009... (dramatic pause)

...I bring you the 21st century version of Centuri's "Chuter-Two" (and later, the "Chuter-2"), using parts conveniently available from Semroc.

From "Ye Olde Rocket Plans (YORP)":

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/centu...16/cenKC-16.htm

This design was available in the 1967, '68, '69, and '71 Centuri catalogs. The rocket's length was printed as 18.5", which was *apparently* a transposition of 15.8" (the length of the rocket in this Rocksim file), since it looks okay with an 8" long ST-8 tube, but *not* with one 11" long.

The first set of simulations is without the fin reinforcements, and the second is *with* them. (And *yes,* there's only one parachute in this file. )

Please enjoy, now that I've officially exorcised this re-implementation from my brain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Chuter-Two_01.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  114.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Chuter-Two_02.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  149.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Chuter-Two.rkt (109.2 KB, 92 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014
Closed Thread